Author Topic: Which Marlies will crack the Leaf lineup next fall?  (Read 3723 times)

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Which Marlies will crack the Leaf lineup next fall?
« on: June 13, 2014, 07:58:19 AM »
It finally looks like some of these guys will crack the Leafs lineup this fall. Here are some candidates to make the team next season....

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/04/which-marlies-can-take-the-next-step
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Which Marlies will crack the Leaf lineup next fall?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 08:29:10 AM »
Article: Slow June so here's all the young players on the Marlies.

Holland, Ashton, and D'Amigo will likely be the only ones with a shot at a full-time gig. And then maybe one of the defencemen in a 6/7 role. The others will serve as injury call-ups for another season or two before possibly becoming full-time NHLers. This part made me smile though:

Drew MacIntyre — The Marlies’ MVP is a definite threat to James Reimer’s backup role if he re-signs and the RFA Reimer is still here.

Nope.

Offline Boston Leaf

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 08:33:28 AM »
D'Amigo will probably get the best look???

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 09:53:29 AM »
I'd like to see T.J. Brennan get a shot at least.  AHL defenceman of the year, maybe he's a late bloomer?  Would be nice if someone like that could crack the top 6 and be good for the Leafs.  Especially if they lose/trade Gardiner/Franson.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 09:55:03 AM »
I'd like to see T.J. Brennan get a shot at least.  AHL defenceman of the year, maybe he's a late bloomer?  Would be nice if someone like that could crack the top 6 and be good for the Leafs.  Especially if they lose/trade Gardiner/Franson.

He's a UFA (would have been a RFA had he played 15 games with the Leafs) so I doubt he's back next season.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 09:57:36 AM »

He's a UFA (would have been a RFA had he played 15 games with the Leafs) so I doubt he's back next season.

That's too bad if they lose right on an upswing like that.  I can't imagine he'll command a huge salary so the Leafs might want to take a shot at signing him.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 09:59:55 AM »
That's too bad if they lose right on an upswing like that.  I can't imagine he'll command a huge salary so the Leafs might want to take a shot at signing him.

I'd imagine salary won't be a big concern for Brennan. He'll want to good somewhere he'll have a chance to compete for a spot on the big team. And the Leafs already shunned him once.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 10:37:27 AM »
Brennan's offense was unbelievable this year.  I'm really surprised that when the Leafs started using 7 defensemen regularly that they couldn't find a way to stick him on the end of the bench for a game or two and use him in PP/need a goal situations.

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 07:42:27 PM »
The games I watched this year I was really impressed with TJ Brennan on defence and Holland at forward.  I hope they both make the Leafs as a 3rd pairing dman and a 3 line player.

D'Amigo, Smith and Holzer were solid and Smithson was a beast on faceoffs and defensive play.

I think D'Amigo would be great as an energy player on the 4th line who could chip in the odd goal.

I was not as impressed with Ashton or Percy but they were better than last year which is a good sign.
All The Best
Dan

Offline Sudafederov

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 08:02:21 PM »
D'Amigo will probably get the best look???

Granberg's name keeps coming up too.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 08:37:54 PM »
I was not as impressed with Ashton or Percy but they were better than last year which is a good sign.

Percy only appeared in 4 AHL games last season, so this was his first pro season.

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 11:00:10 PM »
With Carlyle around and no-balls-Nonis, I honestly don't expect any of them up with the Leafs.

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »

Percy only appeared in 4 AHL games last season, so this was his first pro season.

Good point.  I was mixing Percy up with someone else.

Admittedly,  I haven't liked Ashton since the Leafs traded for him.  He is like my anti-Chris Stewart.   I am feeling Ashton is still not ready yet I can finally see that he is playing better and what his potential as a big 3rd line winger could be.
All The Best
Dan

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 09:48:10 AM »

Brennan's offense was unbelievable this year.  I'm really surprised that when the Leafs started using 7 defensemen regularly that they couldn't find a way to stick him on the end of the bench for a game or two and use him in PP/need a goal situations.

You're telling me LK.
   GA   G   A   PTS   +/-   PIM
   76   25   47   72   -10   115

TJ Brennan skates well, 6'1" 213 lbs, played with an edge (115 PIMs including FMs)and had a great hockey IQ for reading the plays.

Before last year the knock against him was his lack of commitment/inability to play defensively which I didn't see not did I read about this past season.  If the -10 is an indication of that still being a problem can't a defensive RH dman be brought in to help cover him?

I would guess that he would probably sign for $1.2 MIL based on some other contracts in the NHL.
All The Best
Dan

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 10:51:06 AM »
Why don't they make Brennan a winger?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 10:51:06 AM »