Author Topic: Official Armchair GM Thread 2014-2015 Leafs  (Read 133195 times)

Offline A Weekend at Bernier's

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Official Armchair GM Thread 2014-2015 Leafs
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 10:29:41 AM »

I traded picks and prospects, along with Lupul and the rights to Reims and Franson and ended up with Evander Kane and Giordano. I don't know how attainable Giordano is, but I think Kane is available. We could likely replace Giordano with another top 4 rearguard, but the premise is that we need one. Anywhooo.

I saw a lot of Flames games this year, and Giodarno is the real deal.  Best player on the Flames by a country mile. 

Ron?  Is that you? 

Offline A Weekend at Bernier's

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 10:06:07 AM »
Was listening to Brady and Walker this morning and there was a passing reference to Dan Boyle apparently having an interest to play in Toronto, recent trade to NYI notwithstanding.  Now I don't put any stock into this, but I was wondering: would this make sense on a short term deal?  If Phaneuf should be traded, this could provide some short-term relief.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 11:25:42 AM »
Was listening to Brady and Walker this morning and there was a passing reference to Dan Boyle apparently having an interest to play in Toronto, recent trade to NYI notwithstanding.  Now I don't put any stock into this, but I was wondering: would this make sense on a short term deal?  If Phaneuf should be traded, this could provide some short-term relief.

Probably from Dreger, he reported yesterday that the Leafs were high on Dan Boyle's list.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 11:55:01 AM »

Dan Boyle refuses to sign with Isles because he wants to play for a contender. Leafs high on his list.
Hrmmm.

Contender??
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 12:15:08 PM »

Boyle will be 38 next season and his production has already started slipping. He's probably shouldn't be a 1st pairing guy anymore, and he's definitely not a #1 guy. I'm not sure he would provide short-term relief for the Leafs moving Phaneuf, because I'm not confident he can continue to play that much.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:17:42 PM by bustaheims »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 12:21:28 PM »

Boyle will be 38 next season and his production has already started slipping. He's probably shouldn't be a 1st pairing guy anymore, and he's definitely not a #1 guy. I'm not sure he would provide short-term relief for the Leafs moving Phaneuf, because I'm not confident he can continue to play that much.

My guess is he takes a 1 year deal from a contender and expects 2-3 years from a lesser quality team.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 12:23:22 PM »
He did just lead a pretty successful Sharks team in ice time so he can still pretty clearly contribute at a high level. The problem is he did it without killing penalties which probably means he wasn't getting the toughest defensive assignments either. The Leafs are pretty well situated with offensive defensmen so it probably doesn't really make up for Phaneuf's place in the line-up.

The cap figure, really, would be everything. He'd be an upgrade on Franson, I think we can agree, but if he wants 6+ million a year then there's really no point.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 12:33:27 PM »
Probably from Dreger, he reported yesterday that the Leafs were high on Dan Boyle's list.

Is his list entitled 'Teams desperately looking for leadership and intangibles who might overpay for me'?

Boyle's a fine player, but I'm just not sure he's the right fit for this team. Gardiner and Rielly need bigger roles on the powerplay, not smaller ones and the addition of Boyle would probably keep them on the 2nd unit. Also, like Nik said he doesn't really kill penalties and that's a role we're going to need to fill. Signing someone like Stralman or Fayne would make a lot more sense.

Now, if we somehow moved Phaneuf and had the cap space to sign Boyle ($5mil would be the highest I think I would go) then maybe it could work. We'd still need enough room to bring in say a Stralman, but that would give us:

Gardiner-Boyle
Gunnarsson-Stralman
Rielly-Gleason/Holzer/MacWilliam/Ranger

Basically if we could get good value for Phaneuf then Boyle would be a smart replacement. We'd still need one of Boyle/Gardiner/Rielly to step into a PK role though.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 12:45:47 PM »
Also he doesn't really kill penalties and that's a role we're going to need to fill.

Well it should be noted this past season seems to be the only one in his career (at least in recent memory) that he didn't average at least 1:00 of PK time per game.  I'm sure he could still do it, I don't know the reasoning for him not this past season.

Offline Boston Leaf

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 12:54:46 PM »
We are not a Dan Boyle away from a Cup run. Why oh why? Let him go somewhere else and lets give a kid a shot

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 12:58:08 PM »
We are not a Dan Boyle away from a Cup run. Why oh why? Let him go somewhere else and lets give a kid a shot

But would he take a job from a kid or would he take a job from a vet who isn't delivering?

I think this defense BADLY needs a calm, experienced PROVEN veteran who can step in and help teach and be an example.  We really have not had that player in a long time.

What the kids learn from him now can become very valuable when the team is in cup run state.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 01:13:24 PM »

But would he take a job from a kid or would he take a job from a vet who isn't delivering?

I think this defense BADLY needs a calm, experienced PROVEN veteran who can step in and help teach and be an example.  We really have not had that player in a long time.

What the kids learn from him now can become very valuable when the team is in cup run state.

Nail. Head. Hit.
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 01:25:52 PM »

Gleason, Tim.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 01:38:17 PM »

Considering what we've seen from this management and coaching group recently, odds are he's take the spot away from a kid.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2014, 01:45:15 PM »

Considering what we've seen from this management and coaching group recently, odds are he's take the spot away from a kid.

Morgan Rielly would disagree with you on that.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2014, 01:45:15 PM »