Author Topic: Brendan Shanahan to be named president of Maple Leafs  (Read 27256 times)

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Brendan Shanahan to be named president of Maple Leafs
« on: April 09, 2014, 04:21:22 PM »
Not sure if this is worth its own thread or not...

Leiweke interested in bringing Shanahan to Leafs

UPDATE: Cox breaks the story, should be finalized this weekend: http://www.tmlfans.ca/community/index.php?topic=2362.msg184541#msg184541
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 07:04:08 PM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline mc

• Veteran
  • get the shovels
    • View Profile
Re: President of Hockey Operations
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 04:29:39 PM »
The epitome of work ethic. Shanny has won on every level. Why not?

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 04:57:08 PM »
bruce_arthur: If Tim Leiweke is talking to Brendan Shananan about a hockey ops job, then Dave Nonis is in trouble.

mirtle: In all seriousness on the Leafs, I'll say this much: I don't think anyone's safe right now.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Michael

• Veteran
    • View Profile
President of Hockey Operations
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 06:05:54 PM »
The name Brendan Shanahan is being tossed around by Kypreos and Mackenzie, but aside from the rumors and the hype of such a move, I am wondering why the Leafs would need this. Do they need this position?

I can just see it now; people getting all fired up about a guy like Shanny coming in to the Leafs front office. But should we care about a guy who plays a role between Tim Leiweke and Dave Nonis?

I just don't get why we should care.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 06:14:28 PM »
To stop the heavy handed suspensions coming down on the Leafs.

Offline MetalRaven

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »
Makes me wonder if it isn't one of those "Nonis, see that guy back there? Breathing down your neck? Yeah. That Clarkson thing, lets not repeat any of that crap k? or Shanny here he gets your job."

Might be good to get an idea of how he would be as a GM for a season or two, while keeping him in the fold.

If not, I still say having Shanahan is better then not having him. Hes been on a few winning teams, so there is at least a small reason to hope he knows what a winning team might need.

Offline Boston Leaf

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »
Good get rid of Poulin, Fletcher, Loiselle, Steve Kasper, Bobby Carpenter, Dave Morrison and all of those cronies. New regime.. Bring in Shanny  do something

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 07:06:56 PM »
Good get rid of Poulin, Fletcher, Loiselle, Steve Kasper, Bobby Carpenter, Dave Morrison and all of those cronies. New regime.. Bring in Shanny  do something

Sure. Get rid of all the experienced guys and bring in a rookie to fill all their roles. ::)

You forgot to say, "It couldn't be worse".  ;)
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Boston Leaf

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 07:21:09 PM »

Sure. Get rid of all the experienced guys and bring in a rookie to fill all their roles. ::)

not saying just bring in shanny but all those guys exereince doesnt seem to be helping much. especially the scouts..and Fletcher????? He was relevant last in the 90s

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 07:22:14 PM »

Or, you know, turf the guys that are responsible for the current mess and bring in some new blood with some new ideas.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 07:34:23 PM »

Or, you know, turf the guys that are responsible for the current mess and bring in some new blood with some new ideas.

You want to 'turf' the entire management team?
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 07:50:23 PM »

Not necessarily the entire group, but a large part of it can probably stand to be replaced, yeah. Fletcher is a dinosaur, and I'm not sure he even contributes anymore. Loiselle is responsible for cap management, and I think it's fair to say he's done a poor job there. Poulin's done a good job with the Marlies, so he can stay. Dave Morrison I'm pretty ambivalent on. I don't think he's done a great job, but part of that is on the rest of the scouts as well. I don't think he's necessarily been terrible, either. Kasper's the head of pro scouting, which has also been pretty poor. He probably needs to go, as does his staff. Nonis gets a coach of his choosing, assuming he makes the fairly obvious move and fires Carlyle. Otherwise, he's on a super short leash, and goes with Carlyle if the team has the same issues after the first couple months of next season. The rest of the front office staff . . . well, there aren't really any in particularly important positions, so, whoever fits in with the new group can stay, the rest can go.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 07:52:07 PM »
Looks like we are in full "Jiyhad mode", lets blow up everything..hold on.. we need three or four new guys next year.  two or three are on our farm team…we need a number one centre and think we have the defense guy on the Marlies…Oh we do need to do a Farm Film Report blow up on Randy Carlyle where he does..blow up.. REAL GOOD!
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 08:14:37 PM »

Not necessarily the entire group, but a large part of it can probably stand to be replaced, yeah. Fletcher is a dinosaur, and I'm not sure he even contributes anymore. Loiselle is responsible for cap management, and I think it's fair to say he's done a poor job there. Poulin's done a good job with the Marlies, so he can stay. Dave Morrison I'm pretty ambivalent on. I don't think he's done a great job, but part of that is on the rest of the scouts as well. I don't think he's necessarily been terrible, either. Kasper's the head of pro scouting, which has also been pretty poor. He probably needs to go, as does his staff. Nonis gets a coach of his choosing, assuming he makes the fairly obvious move and fires Carlyle. Otherwise, he's on a super short leash, and goes with Carlyle if the team has the same issues after the first couple months of next season. The rest of the front office staff . . . well, there aren't really any in particularly important positions, so, whoever fits in with the new group can stay, the rest can go.

Fair enough.

See. This is the area where I think the Leafs could really put their cash to work for them. Why can't they hire a headhunter to hand pick a super team of NHL executives to help the Leaf GM run this team? I'd do just that, and pay top dollar for an all-star management team.

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 08:17:50 PM »

I wouldn't mind getting rid of Nonis and if the new guy wants to make other changes to the staff, I'd want to him to be able to have the permission to do that.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 08:17:50 PM »