Author Topic: Who is your most disappointing player this season?  (Read 4277 times)

Offline Leafs71

• Veteran
  • I broke your television!
    • View Profile
Re: Who is your most disappointing player this season?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 10:38:14 AM »
Raymond. For the dough he should have gotten at least 25 or 30.

30 goals for $1M?

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 10:38:45 AM »
Franson.

Just be glad Nonis didn't cave and sign him to a long term deal. The offense is there, but we don't need more offense. Let's get some damn defence on this team, Nonis!!!!
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 10:39:47 AM »
This begins and ends with Clarkson.

Besides him, I was hoping for more offensively from Kulemin. He's great at what he provides in terms of defensive responsibility and tenacity, but I expect close to 40 points from him, not 25.

Offline Stickytape

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 10:47:49 AM »
Clarkson is like that freebie square on a bingo card.  He's a given.

Phaneuf had a good start to the year, but he's really been pissing me off lately.  Ever since he signed his contract his performance has just dropped off, especially during this losing streak which has seen his at one time team-leading +/- drop to just +5 (for reference, Gunnarson is still at +14).  He leads the team in PIM, and leads the league in minor penalties.  I can't think of any qualities that make him stand out as a team captain, either.

I've liked Franson in previous seasons, but this year he's been a pylon.  I don't know what this team has against one-timers, but if he isn't going to one-time the puck, get him off the PP.  It's absolutely no surprise that the Leafs have let in so many shorthanded goals with Phaneuf and Franson on the blueline.  I know he's never been fast, but I swear his speed took about a 30% drop this season.

And Reimer hasn't exactly been disappointing, but that's because I already knew he's no good as a backup goalie.  For whatever reason he plays well when he's happy, and when he's playing regularly.  Getting the cold shoulder from Carlyle and being thrust back into 40-shot games after a long stretch on the bench is a recipe for disaster with him.  I hope he finds a solid #1 role with a decent team, because he's a nice guy and he's being wasted here.

Lupul and Kadri haven't been as electric this year as I've grown accustomed to, but they've been saddled with Clarkson for a lot of the season and have still somehow managed to put up good numbers.  With Kulemin on the line they looked a LOT better, and I'm interested to see how a new coach will use them.  I'm not happy with their crappy backchecking (especially Lupul; sometimes Kadri comes through), but I hope they both stick around over the summer.

Kulemin has been great.  He's like Gunnarson: solid, dependable, but somehow almost invisible out there.  He shouldn't be held to that high-scoring season he had on the MacArthur/Grabovski line when both of those players were let go and he's been playing a different role on a 3rd line.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 10:52:57 AM »
The criticism of Kadri is really bordering on hilarity at this point.  He's not a Selke winner but my god.  Has anyone taken a look at Phil Kessel?   How about we take a trip in our time machine to the Phil Kessel during his first few years with the Leafs.  The guy couldn't be bothered to skate back into the defensive zone.  Now keep in mind that Kadri is 3 years younger than Kessel.

The 2009 draft was a pretty decent draft so far.  Kadri was picked 7th overall and is the 7th highest scoring player out of that draft.  On a per-game basis he's top 5 in both goals, assists and points.  Seeing as the only guys he's behind on a per-game pace were drafted ahead of him, the criticism seems a little over the top.

He hasn't taken that next step this year, but it's also his 2nd full NHL season and that's pretty common for a guy to struggle.  Now take into account that he's played with Clarkson for good stretches of the year and that the team as a whole has played like refried garbage and I'm not sure how closely we need to look at Kadri as the most disappointing player on the team.  He still has had a better offensive season (cumulative totals not PPG) than Bozak has ever put up in a season despite 2nd/3rd line ice-time and 2nd unit PP time all year.

There are definite flaws that need to be addressed.  I think his skating took a half-step backward this year.  Something has happened that he isn't trying to be nearly as creative with the puck (coaching staff?), his defensive play has been disappointing for large stretches, and while I'm not surprised about his slowed offense, the team could have used a few goals from him in the last few weeks.

Obvious answers would be: 

Clarkson.  I didn't expect good things from him, but I was also figuring he was going to be an overpaid 30 point player with 15-20 goals and 10-15 assists who threw some nice hits but was essentially an overpaid 3rd-borderline 2nd liner.

Franson.  He was never a dominant top 4 guy but he seems slower than ever.   Even though his raw hit totals are nice he still strikes me as a guy who is incredibly soft when fighting for pucks in the defensive zone.  His play on the blueline in the offensive zone has been suspect and in general he has pretty much stopped firing his very nice shot from the point.

McClement.  I don't care about him being a marginal offensive player.  He has provided absolutely nothing offensively this year.  And he's captaining an atrocious PK unit.  He also spent a good portion of the year below average on faceoffs.

Orr.  I'm not surprised that he's not an NHL hockey player.  I'm disappointed that he has as few hits as he does.  I'm disappointed that he doesn't fight when he's actually in the lineup.  I'm disappointed that he's been garbage every single game. 

Lupul.  Speaking of Kadri's bad defense, how about floaty-Mcfloaterson over here.  Lupul's play has really stagnated this year in comparison to his unsustainable production last year.  I still wonder if this isn't a bit of a Carlyle effect as they really never saw eye-to-eye in Anaheim.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 10:58:44 AM »
Lupul.  Speaking of Kadri's bad defense, how about floaty-Mcfloaterson over here.  Lupul's play has really stagnated this year in comparison to his unsustainable production last year.  I still wonder if this isn't a bit of a Carlyle effect as they really never saw eye-to-eye in Anaheim.

Easily the worst defensive forward on the team. I love the guy, but taking the worst defensive forward off a bad defensive team could be addition by subtraction. The team should look hard to move him for a top-4 defenceman this offseason.

Offline Boston Leaf

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 11:15:12 AM »
Franson (Clarkson is a gimmie)

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Who is your most disappointing player this season?
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 11:45:48 AM »
Flapsy, Flapsy, and more Flapsy.

The question is, will the new coach have the cajones to park him on the 4th line and/or the nearest skybox for the next 6 years. In fact, I'd make that a pass/fail question in the job interview.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 12:27:22 PM »
The criticism of Kadri is really bordering on hilarity at this point.  He's not a Selke winner but my god.  Has anyone taken a look at Phil Kessel?   How about we take a trip in our time machine to the Phil Kessel during his first few years with the Leafs.  The guy couldn't be bothered to skate back into the defensive zone.  Now keep in mind that Kadri is 3 years younger than Kessel.

The 2009 draft was a pretty decent draft so far.  Kadri was picked 7th overall and is the 7th highest scoring player out of that draft.  On a per-game basis he's top 5 in both goals, assists and points.  Seeing as the only guys he's behind on a per-game pace were drafted ahead of him, the criticism seems a little over the top.

He hasn't taken that next step this year, but it's also his 2nd full NHL season and that's pretty common for a guy to struggle.  Now take into account that he's played with Clarkson for good stretches of the year and that the team as a whole has played like refried garbage and I'm not sure how closely we need to look at Kadri as the most disappointing player on the team.  He still has had a better offensive season (cumulative totals not PPG) than Bozak has ever put up in a season despite 2nd/3rd line ice-time and 2nd unit PP time all year.

There are definite flaws that need to be addressed.  I think his skating took a half-step backward this year.  Something has happened that he isn't trying to be nearly as creative with the puck (coaching staff?), his defensive play has been disappointing for large stretches, and while I'm not surprised about his slowed offense, the team could have used a few goals from him in the last few weeks.

It's silly. Consider this:

@bradyfan590

Kadri scored a point every 17:30 last season, Bozak's big "breakout" season this year (impressive, sure)? He's a point every 24:12.

Offline KadriFan

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2014, 01:11:35 PM »
The captain.  He stared the season as a screw up and got worse as it continued.  Can't believe we are stuck with him for 7 more seasons :-(

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 03:07:44 PM »

Ignoring Clarkson, who I was never big on, and Phaneuf, who I felt the same way last year as this year about, I think my answer is probably Kadri. Not for any defensive liabilities or in a "he's a bum" sense but just because I feel like he had an excellent opportunity this year to carve out a real identity for himself and the second line and he hasn't managed to do it. He's had a lot of time with linemates ranging from really good(his most frequent combo on the year remains Kessel and JVR) to pretty good(Lupul and either Raymond/Kulemin) and I still feel like it's a complete and total mystery as to what he's going to bring to the table from game to game.

We've seen glimpses of the tough nosed, feisty Kadri who could, I think, score 70-75 points in the right situation and we've seen the floater-ish Kadri who looks more like Mike Ribeiro-lite and seems fated to score 50-60 points. This year has provided more evidence, I think, that he ultimately ends up in the latter camp.

Other than that...Franson, I guess. I wish I felt better about Kulemin's year too. Other than that I think that a lot of Leafs have impressed this year on an individual basis.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Who is your most disappointing player this season?
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 03:16:04 PM »
Excellent analysis of Kadri. I think it's spot on. Also Kulemin. Like Kadri he has the skills to do more and they need more from both.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 03:25:06 PM »
Also Kulemin. Like Kadri he has the skills to do more and they need more from both.

Well, just to be clear regarding my feelings about Kulemin I think that if Kulemin's ultimate role is what it was this year where he's either the 6th of the top 6 or he's a PK'ing checking forward I sure wish I'd seen enough of him in either role to make me think that you want to invest 3.5-4 million(or whatever it'll take to sign him) instead of seeing if Ashton or D'Amigo or someone can fill the role at a discount. I still think he's a good and valuable player, I'm just not sure if he's worth it at UFA prices.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Leafs71

• Veteran
  • I broke your television!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 04:53:40 PM »
Excellent analysis of Kadri. I think it's spot on. Also Kulemin. Like Kadri he has the skills to do more and they need more from both.

x2. I think that's why I was so high on Bodie this year. It wasn't that he could ever be confused with an elite player, but he overachieved with the skills he had through sheer effort. Its hard not to like players like that.

With Kadri, I think its all about what is between the ears. His skillset is pretty solid.

Offline AlmosGirl

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2014, 04:59:42 PM »
Franson with Kadri closely behind.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2014, 04:59:42 PM »