NDP
5 (16.7%)
Green
2 (6.7%)
Not voting
3 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: October 06, 2011, 12:20:04 PM

Author Topic: The Ontario Provincial Election  (Read 7869 times)

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: The Ontario Provincial Election
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2011, 10:37:22 AM »
Not a McGuinty fan but thank the lord Hudak didn't win.

I echo same.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2011, 10:39:32 AM »
Not a McGuinty fan but thank the lord Hudak didn't win.

I echo same.   :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:46:41 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline Optimus Reimer

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2011, 11:32:51 AM »
I actually prefer minority governments.  The leaders need to co-operate with each other in order to pass legislation.  Under a minority government, McGuinty will have a hard time pushing bad bills through the legislature assuming that Hudak and the NDP Leader have brains in their heads and can keep the Liberals in check. 

Similarly, a Conservative minority federal government, would have prevented Harper from pushing unpopular bills through Parliament.  Unfortunately, when you have Ignatieff as the Liberal leader, that pretty much guaranteed a Conservative majority government.

Also remember that Ontario prefers a balance of power related to the federal government.  If the Liberals are running the province, the Conservatives are running the country and vice versa.

Online L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2011, 11:51:51 AM »
I actually prefer minority governments.  The leaders need to co-operate with each other in order to pass legislation.  Under a minority government, McGuinty will have a hard time pushing bad bills through the legislature assuming that Hudak and the NDP Leader have brains in their heads and can keep the Liberals in check. 

Similarly, a Conservative minority federal government, would have prevented Harper from pushing unpopular bills through Parliament.  Unfortunately, when you have Ignatieff as the Liberal leader, that pretty much guaranteed a Conservative majority government.

Also remember that Ontario prefers a balance of power related to the federal government.  If the Liberals are running the province, the Conservatives are running the country and vice versa.

I agree to an extent, but you lose a lot of really good policies too because the full force of some bills gets watered down by negotiation, that sometimes has nothing to do with good policy and has everything to do with protecting your government from the threat of non-confidence.

Offline seahawk

• Site Contributor
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2011, 12:27:29 PM »
Provincial election tonight, same night the NHL season kicks off with the Leafs and Habs, they sure picked a good night for the election!

Let's see if Ontario can beat Manitoba's turnout, we had only 57% of people vote.

The election date was fixed years ago in legislation and well before the NHL finalized their 2011-12 schedule. As for the turnout, CBC is reporting that it was 49.2%, a historic low. This is after advance polls were heavily expanded to give more people a chance to vote. Turnout at the poll I worked at was pushing 60% (not counting those who voted in advance) so I'm disappointed with how low the overall turnout was.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2011, 12:36:23 PM »
Also remember that Ontario prefers a balance of power
related to the federal government.  If the Liberals are running the province, the Conservatives are running the country and vice versa.

Yes, very true.  This 'tradition' dates back for quite some time, as I remember it being this way.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2011, 12:36:23 PM »