NDP
5 (16.7%)
Green
2 (6.7%)
Not voting
3 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: October 06, 2011, 12:20:04 PM

Author Topic: The Ontario Provincial Election  (Read 7855 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: The Ontario Provincial Election
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 05:10:48 PM »

Well, whoever wins the election I hope they get right to work on fixing the economy and have it done in a few weeks because, if there's one thing I've learned following this campaign, it's that the Ontario economy is so independent from the larger national/international conditions it exists in that it really, really matters who the premier is.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 09:52:37 PM »

CBC is calling another Liberal government.
-Mark Twain

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 09:55:59 PM »
CBC is calling another Liberal government.

So are CTV.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Derk

• Veteran
  • Robble
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 09:56:55 PM »
Interesting numbers - by the percentages, Liberals and PC are only a little over 1% apart, but it's the distribution that counts. Looks like it will be a minority government, though, unless the Liberals pick up a few more seats.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 09:59:34 PM »
Interesting numbers - by the percentages, Liberals and PC are only a little over 1% apart, but it's the distribution that counts. Looks like it will be a minority government, though, unless the Liberals pick up a few more seats.

TVO has them elected or leading in 53. One more, and they'd have a majority.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Derk

• Veteran
  • Robble
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 10:01:29 PM »

TVO has them elected or leading in 53. One more, and they'd have a majority.

CBC now has them in 54. (Edit: back to 53 - guess we will just have to wait).

Looking at CBC's map of Ontario, there's not a lot of red - until you zoom in - Toronto, Hamilton, Windsor, Ottawa, Niagara.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 10:04:51 PM by Derk »

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2011, 10:06:20 PM »
CBC now has them in 54.

Yeah. TVO have had them flipping between 53 and 54. Lot of ridings with less than 200 votes separating. Could go either way, but, even at 53, that Liberals would have a virtual, though, unofficial, majority.

Offline Derk

• Veteran
  • Robble
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2011, 10:12:34 PM »
CBC now has them in 54.

Yeah. TVO have had them flipping between 53 and 54. Lot of ridings with less than 200 votes separating. Could go either way, but, even at 53, that Liberals would have a virtual, though, unofficial, majority.

Looks like most of the major urban centres have voted Liberal, and most of the rural have gone conservative (with NDP / Lib in the far north).

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 10:13:41 PM »

If the CBC comment section is any indication, a lot of people are moving out of the province in protest of this centrist minority government.
-Mark Twain

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2011, 10:22:04 PM »
Looks like most of the major urban centres have voted Liberal, and most of the rural have gone conservative (with NDP / Lib in the far north).

Not really surprising. The Conservatives have really been up against it in urban centres (especially in the 416) on a provincial level since Mike Harris.

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2011, 10:23:25 PM »
I wish I knew more about provincial economics though. Ontario has a pretty high debt load right now: about 10x per person than California. I can't imagine that this isn't problematic.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Ok Blue Jays
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2011, 11:31:32 PM »
Not a McGuinty fan but thank the lord Hudak didn't win.

Offline donkeyy0

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2011, 11:44:12 PM »
What's frustrating is people walking into my store...buying a cd and seeing the 13% sales tax...looking me straight in the eye and saying "damn that McGuinty eh!?"

Because you're paying 13% on a cd...wonderful.

There was no way I was ever voting for Tony Genco. Thank god people figured it out this time around...

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2011, 11:47:22 PM »
What's frustrating is people walking into my store...buying a cd and seeing the 13% sales tax...looking me straight in the eye and saying "damn that McGuinty eh!?"

The same 13% they would have paid if the GST and PST were still separate taxes, no less.

Offline donkeyy0

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 11:51:32 PM »

The same 13% they would have paid if the GST and PST were still separate taxes, no less.

Ya that was my point. What's equally frustrating is my coworkers telling the customer that the 25 dollar "OES environmental handling fee" on their television is a recycling tax and that we should just "blame McGuinty".

Like I get it's easier to just say that rather than actually explain what the fee is for...but don't LIE to these people...

There is nothing at my store that would have been exempt from either sales tax. You're paying 13% no matter what. Comments like "F*** McGuinty" just oozes ignorance.

Which I guess I should just accept considering my riding...

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 11:51:32 PM »