Author Topic: Blues @ Leafs - Mar. 25th, 7:00pm - SN, TSN 1050  (Read 22592 times)

Online RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Blues @ Leafs - Mar. 25th, 7:00pm - SN, TSN 1050
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 08:24:46 AM »
Hopefully the Leafs lose.

is this reverse psychology?  because I don't really buy that it's beneficial for them to lose at this point...being just on the outside of the playoffs isn't going to help them much draft wise...and if they flame it out isn't guaranteed that they'll fire Carlyle

And firing Carlyle isn't any guarantee that the team will improve anyways.
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
Re: Blues @ Leafs - Mar. 25th, 7:00pm - SN, TSN 1050
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 08:54:33 AM »

is this reverse psychology?  because I don't really buy that it's beneficial for them to lose at this point...being just on the outside of the playoffs isn't going to help them much draft wise...and if they flame it out isn't guaranteed that they'll fire Carlyle

It can't get much worse.  Unless a new coach breaks the goalies' legs or something.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 08:55:19 AM »
Seriously....Who gets the start?

If I had any say, I'd say you have to give the start to Reimer.

I'm fine with the idea that Mac might pull off a great performance on pure adrenaline alone.

I feel like it's just as likely that Reimer steals a game as it is that a 30 year old minor league journeyman who's never started an NHL game does that.  More likely actually.

Online RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 09:01:35 AM »

It can't get much worse.  Unless a new coach breaks the goalies' legs or something.

Sure it could. We could get a coach that doesn't have time for error prone rookies, or one that wants to quickly turn lots of guys from the farm into NHLers. And those are only two possible scenarios that may lead to this club taking a major step backwards before it turns back around.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:08:16 AM by RedLeaf »
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 09:07:35 AM »

Sure it could. We could get a coach that doesn't have time for error prone rookies, or one that wants to use guys from the farm a to more, and we could take a major step backwards before it turns back around.

Using the guys from the farm a ton more - I don't know what that means.  That's a negative for some reason?  Any new coach is still going to be relying on the same offensive guys (Kessel/JVR the main ones).  We could also get a coach who doesn't have time for knuckle-dragging 4th lines.  Or plodding defensemen.  Or that doesn't have time for traditional medicine and wants every player on the Atkins diet.  You could do this forever.

You haven't said how those things you said would be a 'major step backwards.' 

Online RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 09:10:31 AM »

Sure it could. We could get a coach that doesn't have time for error prone rookies, or one that wants to use guys from the farm a to more, and we could take a major step backwards before it turns back around.

Using the guys from the farm a ton more - I don't know what that means.  That's a negative for some reason?  Any new coach is still going to be relying on the same offensive guys (Kessel/JVR the main ones).  We could also get a coach who doesn't have time for knuckle-dragging 4th lines.  Or plodding defensemen.  Or that doesn't have time for traditional medicine and wants every player on the Atkins diet.  You could do this forever.

You haven't said how those things you said would be a 'major step backwards.'

I didn't phrase that the best way. A coach that decides he wants to have prospects learn on the fly instead of gradually allowing them to learn the game at the NHL level is what I meant to say.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:15:21 AM by RedLeaf »

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 09:12:36 AM »
I didn't phrase that the best way. A coach that decides he wants to have prospects learn on the fly instead of gradually allowing them to learn the game at the NHL level is what I meant to say.

I don't think either approach is inherently right or wrong, it would depend on the individual prospect I think, and be up to the coach/management to identify which development path is appropriate.  There are tons of 18-19 year old players who have played in recent years and done fine in subsequent years, but there are also players like Kadri who seem to have benefited from additional time in the minors.

Online RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 09:15:43 AM »
MY point is that you don't know what a new coach brings to the table until it happens. I have a hard time going along with an off-the-cuff remark that 'he can't be worse'. You just don't know that.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 09:19:33 AM »
MY point is that you don't know what a new coach brings to the table until it happens. I have a hard time going along with an off-the-cuff remark that 'he can't be worse'. You just don't know that.

I mean in terms of play.  They can't really allow more chances/shots against, their PK can't really get appreciably worse, they can't really give up more possession time.

Leafs are a capped out team on the playoff bubble.  Can't really afford to waste more of Kessel's best years.  Maybe it will or won't work with another coach, but it hasn't worked with the current one.  The team has not improved under Carlyle, and arguably taken a step back.

Online RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 09:24:31 AM »

I mean in terms of play.  They can't really allow more chances/shots against, their PK can't really get appreciably worse, they can't really give up more possession time.

Leafs are a capped out team on the playoff bubble.  Can't really afford to waste more of Kessel's best years.  Maybe it will or won't work with another coach, but it hasn't worked with the current one.  The team has not improved under Carlyle, and arguably taken a step back.

This is highly debatable. Their W-L record since Wilson left suggests the team has improved. And you've already admitted to preferring the team now that is 'under' Carlyle as opposed to the one that was 'under' Wilson.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 09:26:47 AM »

This is highly debatable. Their W-L record since Wilson left suggests the team has improved. And you've already admitted to preferring the team now that is 'under' Carlyle as opposed to the one that was 'under' Wilson.

Right, I prefer the players on the roster.  W-L record is not a good indication of how the team is playing, especially one enhanced by the SO, but we won't rehash this for the millionth time.

Offline Boston Leaf

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 09:27:23 AM »
6 - 1 Blues... Rielly with the goal

Online RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 09:31:15 AM »

Right, I prefer the players on the roster.  W-L record is not a good indication of how the team is playing, especially one enhanced by the SO, but we won't rehash this for the millionth time.

If the W-L record isn't a good indication of whether or not a team is improving, then which indicator should we use?

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 09:41:41 AM »
I am predicting a different finish. more like the finish from LA. they seem to play better against better teams. 3-2 leafs

Offline Stronger Than All

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 09:41:46 AM »

If the W-L record isn't a good indication of whether or not a team is improving, then which indicator should we use?

shots on goal differential.  :P

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 09:41:46 AM »