Author Topic: Bozak: Number one centre?  (Read 1122 times)

Offline A Weekend at Bernier's

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Bozak: Number one centre?
« on: March 07, 2014, 03:21:52 PM »
File this under "Captain of the Obvious", but Tyler Bozak is currently scoring on a 75 point pace, prorated of course.

Colour me impressed.  The cynics among us might say that playing with JVR and Kessel has that effect on people.  But, I think it's pretty hard to argue that the guy is doing a pretty good impression of a darn good hockey player.

Mod edit: Editorial title change
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:09:50 PM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Bozak: Number one centre?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 03:32:05 PM »
File this under "Captain of the Obvious", but Tyler Bozak is currently scoring on a 75 point pace, prorated of course.

Colour me impressed.  The cynics among us might say that playing with JVR and Kessel has that effect on people.  But, I think it's pretty hard to argue that the guy is doing a pretty good impression of a darn good hockey player.

Well, I've always sort of thought of it as a Brendan Morrison sort of situation. I don't think anyone would dispute that most of Morrison's points came because of who his linemates were in Vancouver but I think some people take that a faulty step and then assume that anyone could have been Brendan Morrison with those same linemates.

Bozak fits in well with that line and compliments their play. That's a valuable thing to find and lock down.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline A Weekend at Bernier's

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 03:40:06 PM »

Well, I've always sort of thought of it as a Brendan Morrison sort of situation. I don't think anyone would dispute that most of Morrison's points came because of who his linemates were in Vancouver but I think some people take that a faulty step and then assume that anyone could have been Brendan Morrison with those same linemates.

Bozak fits in well with that line and compliments their play. That's a valuable thing to find and lock down.

Bang on comparison. 

I increasingly think of Bozak as the flour in the first line gravy.  JVR and Kessel are the roast's drippings, but Bozak holds the whole delicious liquid together.

.....um, after reading that, I better stop thinking of Bozak like that.  Would dough of the pizza sound better?

Jalili

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 03:49:37 PM »
Big fan of his play this season as well as his contract.

At 27 and as someone you'd say was a late bloomer, I think Bozak will be a really useful piece for the team moving forward.

Online Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 03:53:31 PM »
Well, I've always sort of thought of it as a Brendan Morrison sort of situation.

That's the name I thought of too.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 03:56:57 PM »
He's having a very good year. 

Still think he's massively over-rated defensively, and it's highly likely he won't shoot 21% again as he is right now (although he's always been above avg SH% wise, so ~16ish%) and he's seen his first assists/60 mins take a HUGE jump this season (0.735, 0.373, 0.565, 0.354 to 1.372/60 this season).  That's a massive leap in one season so it's hard to expect that to continue going forward.

But he's earning the contract as it stands and isn't an issue for the team right now.  He's been quite good this year.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 08:47:52 PM »

But Kessel has put up points/goals at pretty much the same rate no matter who his C has been.

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 09:02:31 PM »
I have to admit that Bozak is playing better then I thought he would.  I hope he keeps it up.  As an interesting comparison here is Grabbo's numbers GP-50 G-12 Assists-21 Pts-33 +\- 4.
   and here are Bozak's numbers   GP-40 G-14 Assists-23 Pts-37 +\- 9.
Since they could only keep one of them, it looks like Bozak was the better choice.  Should also be mentioned that Grabbo's team has 68 pts and is currently out of a playoff spot.   

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 09:07:42 PM »
I have to admit that Bozak is playing better then I thought he would.  I hope he keeps it up.  As an interesting comparison here is Grabbo's numbers GP-50 G-12 Assists-21 Pts-33 +\- 4.
Since they could only keep one of them, it looks like Bozak was the better choice.  Should also be mentioned that Grabbo's team has 68 pts and is currently out of a playoff spot.

Grabovski's also playing with two of either Troy Brouwer, Eric Fehr or Jason Chimera.  Not exactly Kessel/JVR.  The team is scoring 56% of the goals when he's on the ice and getting 51% of the shot attempts.  He's been in and out of the lineup recently with injuries, but he's having a very solid season if you bother to put it into context.

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 11:43:32 PM »

Grabovski's also playing with two of either Troy Brouwer, Eric Fehr or Jason Chimera.  Not exactly Kessel/JVR.  The team is scoring 56% of the goals when he's on the ice and getting 51% of the shot attempts.  He's been in and out of the lineup recently with injuries, but he's having a very solid season if you bother to put it into context.

Thats another thing in bozak's favor.  He is not prone to injury. 

Offline Mostar

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 01:26:30 AM »
Bozak has won me over as well this season. He seemed a half step behind the play a lot last year, although PK is hard to keep up with. He seems like he has more space and time this year. I'm not sure if that's a result of PK getting more attention, but whatever the reason he's making plays and in the right spot to make them most of the time.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 09:52:26 AM »

Thats another thing in bozak's favor.  He is not prone to injury.

Grabovski's played more games than Bozak this season.

I don't want to hijack a Bozak thread anymore though.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:54:58 AM by Potvin29 »

Offline proteus2000

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 10:49:50 AM »
When Bozak wasn't able to play game 7 last year, it was a huge blow, as he was the only centre that I felt could compete against the strong core of Bruin centres...that is when I knew he actually had value.

His contract is great for what he brings, and is there another player on the team that you would want on a breakaway in the past 3 years?

Offline moon111

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 11:20:15 AM »
I think the best thing about Bozak is there are such terrible apparent holes in the roster elsewhere, nobody focuses on the #1 center spot anymore.  He's working okay, that's allot more then can be said for allot of other positions.
R.I.P. Maureen.  You'll always be with us.

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 05:36:01 PM »
Bozak has won me over as well this season. He seemed a half step behind the play a lot last year, although PK is hard to keep up with. He seems like he has more space and time this year. I'm not sure if that's a result of PK getting more attention, but whatever the reason he's making plays and in the right spot to make them most of the time.

Me too.  I am comfortable with him as the Leafs 1C.

He has been skating very well, initiates going into the dirty areas but most of all has FANTASTIC hockey IQ.  The way he anticipates plays and gets in the right spot.

40gp 14g 23a 37pts +9 - all for $4.2 MIL for 5 years. Nice.
All The Best
Dan

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 05:36:01 PM »