Author Topic: Blue Jackets @ Leafs - Mar. 3rd, 7:00pm - SN, SN 590  (Read 12697 times)

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Jackets @ Leafs - Mar. 3rd, 7:00pm - SN, SN 590
« Reply #225 on: March 04, 2014, 07:35:01 AM »
This game could've been a two or three goal lead in the first period. They didn't play great, but they weren't bad. That was, I believe, what they refer to as "puck luck."

Still, insanely sloppy play defensively. Turnovers are ridiculous and I'm not sure how they're going to fix it.

I'm not sure how anyone can say they didn't play bad when they only had 5 shots in the 2nd period and went the first 17 minutes of the 3rd only registering another hand full. It was sickening to watch.

Online Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 04, 2014, 08:16:38 AM »
Agreed. I actually puked on my shoes.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 04, 2014, 10:07:49 AM »
That was the booze.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 04, 2014, 10:13:12 AM »
You've just isolated their number one problem here. The core of this teams defense is either too inexperienced, or too offensive minded.

Defence is, and always has been, a team thing, not a defenceman thing. The biggest defensive issue with the team is the system they play, not the guys on the blue line who are part of it. Adding a defensive defenceman or a more experienced player or two isn't going to have a material impact on that. They're not going to suddenly start playing a different system than the one their coach has been deploying them in all season.

Completely agree with the bolded part. But, team defence comes mostly from the players who can play that way, not what the coach shows them. Team Canada could have had a monkey coaching at the Olympics and they still would have won the gold, based almost entirely on their defensive play. That was the players, not the coaching.

Edit: show me a team full of good two way players and I'll show you a good coach. That seldom works the other way around.

Then honestly, what's the point of having a coach right?  Just put anyone back there until you can assemble the best possible team because if a coach can't teach a team to play better defense, and if they can't teach them to score more, what are they doing besides collecting a paycheque?

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 04, 2014, 03:39:32 PM »
Last night was the first time in a long time that I've actually been angry at the team.

It's one thing to hang Reimer out to dry with their play, it's another to let the opposing team abuse your goalie without consequences. Reimer is a model pro and I counted 3 times he was seriously hit and at least 6 total, without anyone protecting him.

Also the whole not really showing up for 50 minutes and then pouring it on, I mean play like that or even 80% of that effort for even half the game and it should have been an easy victory.

I'd have skated them till they puked after the game, totally unacceptable and it speak to serious character flaws in the makeup of this team.

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 04, 2014, 10:02:56 PM »
they have been trying all year to play better defensively and it isn't working.  Maybe they should try the opposite and play all offensive run and gun style.  Try to score so many goals that they will win despite poor defense.

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 05, 2014, 12:25:56 AM »
they have been trying all year to play better defensively and it isn't working.  Maybe they should try the opposite and play all offensive run and gun style.  Try to score so many goals that they will win despite poor defense.

Bingo

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #231 on: March 05, 2014, 12:25:56 AM »