Author Topic: Marlies Talk 13/14  (Read 27747 times)

Offline leafplasma

• Veteran
  • Blue Bones Baby
    • View Profile
Re: Marlies Talk 13/14
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 10:17:20 PM »
2 hat tricks in his first 3 games and 10 points is pretty jaw dropping from the back end in any league.  Lets see only 24 years old with good size at 6'1 214 lbs and signed at a cap friendly 600k.  You would have to think he is eons above the AHL in terms of skill at this point and should be on some club right now if not a fit on this Leafs team.

SCOUTING REPORT
Assets:   A good skater who possesses very good offensive ability, he can be a major asset on the power play. Also moves the puck with aplomb.
Flaws:   Makes mistakes when he's pressured with the puck. Needs to avoid taking bad penalties in the defensive zone, as well as polish up his play without the puck.
Career Potential:   Offensive defenseman with some upside.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 04:44:59 PM »
RealKyper: #Leafs bringing in long time #Predators C  Jerred Smithson on a AHL tryout for #Marlies
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 07:47:07 AM »
RealKyper: #Leafs bringing in long time #Predators C  Jerred Smithson on a AHL tryout for #Marlies

Interesting. I remember hearing some pretty decent things about him. As far as 4th line centres go of course. And it makes sense. Looking over the Marlies roster they only have 3 centres listed right now: McKegg, Carrick, and Crescenzi. All 21 years old. Smith is of course the top centre on the team but the Leafs won't be afraid to call him up when injuries hit. So if a centre ever went down on either team the Marlies would be in a bit of trouble. Kenny Ryan I know has played some centre in the past but he's injured right now.

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 09:02:50 PM »
I'm planning to be in Toronto in early December. Marlies have a game on the Saturday I'm there (Leafs are in Ottawa I think). Is it worth coming along to a game? What are crowds like etc? The game is against the Bulldogs.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 09:50:57 PM »
I'm planning to be in Toronto in early December. Marlies have a game on the Saturday I'm there (Leafs are in Ottawa I think). Is it worth coming along to a game? What are crowds like etc? The game is against the Bulldogs.

It's no Leafs game but for however much money you spend, imo, it can't be beat. Great seats everywhere, crowd is half decent. I remember seeing them play the Bulldogs a few years back and was heckling Halak.

I think you'll be happy you went.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »
"Home Alone" scores winner against Bulldogs. When are they bringing Ashton back up.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 09:09:40 AM »

It's no Leafs game but for however much money you spend, imo, it can't be beat. Great seats everywhere, crowd is half decent. I remember seeing them play the Bulldogs a few years back and was heckling Halak.

I think you'll be happy you went.

I think I'd be happy I went too, just need to convince the other half she will be as well, took enough convincing to get her to the Leafs game   ;D
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 10:04:51 AM »
Leivo's been sent back down to the Marlies. For a 20-year old in his first professional season I thought that he was alright. Especially since he's not exactly a can't miss prospect.

I'm a little surprised that Smith hasn't been sent back too. With Clarkson back (and potentially McLaren) I can't see him in the line-up. I'm sure it's just a matter of time but the Marlies play tonight and could probably use their captain.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 10:12:45 AM »
Leivo's been sent back down to the Marlies. For a 20-year old in his first professional season I thought that he was alright. Especially since he's not exactly a can't miss prospect.

I'm a little surprised that Smith hasn't been sent back too. With Clarkson back (and potentially McLaren) I can't see him in the line-up. I'm sure it's just a matter of time but the Marlies play tonight and could probably use their captain.

My guess is he's sent back once McLaren is officially cleared for action. He may still be needed on Friday if that doesn't happen.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 10:54:18 AM »
Leivo has been a pleasant suprise a full year on the top line of the Marlies will give him some time to develop but I sure liked what I saw in raw speed and talent.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 07:08:57 PM »
8 straight games as a scratch for Jesse Blacker.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 09:56:02 PM »

What's up with that? First I heard of it.
BWB

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 07:48:23 AM »

The Marlies have a pretty deep blueline especially with Liles and Brennan down there, and Spott doesn't seem like a big fan. A 4-1 start also means Spott doesn't seem in a hurry to tinker with his initial line-up. Kyle Cicerella breaks it down a little more here:

http://kylethereporter.com/2013/10/16/prospect-jesse-blacker-watching-more-than-playing-to-start-season/

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 10:34:08 AM »

The Marlies have a pretty deep blueline especially with Liles and Brennan down there, and Spott doesn't seem like a big fan. A 4-1 start also means Spott doesn't seem in a hurry to tinker with his initial line-up. Kyle Cicerella breaks it down a little more here:

http://kylethereporter.com/2013/10/16/prospect-jesse-blacker-watching-more-than-playing-to-start-season/

Thanks. I don't know if it's in his best interest for development though, the kid needs to play.
BWB

Offline Crucialness Key

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 01:54:50 PM »

Thanks. I don't know if it's in his best interest for development though, the kid needs to play.

I'm sure Liles will get moved once the other teams read about his hot rim skills.    :P

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 01:54:50 PM »