Author Topic: 21st overall - Frederik Gauthier  (Read 9996 times)

Offline Leafaholic99

• Veteran
  • Optimus Reim
    • View Profile
    • Wuskwatim
21st overall - Frederik Gauthier
« on: June 30, 2013, 05:17:57 PM »
TSN Scout Craig Button:
An imposing centre who can play any situation in the game. Very smart and his awareness is excellent both with and without the puck. Can control the game from the centre ice position in multiple ways. He is very difficult to handle offensively and equally difficult to break down defensively. Has very good skating and puck skills and really understands how to play to his strengths for the benefit of the team. Has shown the ability to raise his level of play at critical times and is a very competitive player.

Stats: Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL) | 62 GP | 22 G | 38 A | 60 P | +22 | 26 PIM

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/nhl-draft-prospects-no-23-frederik-gauthier/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mIvlhucOESI[/youtube]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 05:19:56 PM by Leafaholic99 »

Offline KW Sluggo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: 21st overall - Frederik Gauthier
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 05:24:30 PM »
Nothing against Gauthier but it would have been sweet to have drafted Fucale just to be able to say that we had sweet Fucale in goal.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 05:26:50 PM »
Well, we're sticking to the draft big people strategy.
BWB

Offline LittleHockeyFan

• BearyBest Leaf Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • game ON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 05:29:57 PM »
Nothing against Gauthier but it would have been sweet to have drafted Fucale just to be able to say that we had sweet Fucale in goal.

;D

Offline Stickytape

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 05:47:38 PM »
Some highlights from the 2013 U-18:

[youtube]aIXVYlIAraA[/youtube]

I like the look of his work on the PK; having that big size and reach with good mobility could be really handy in cutting off the point.  Looks like he buys his sticks in the same place as Chara. :P

Offline 93forever

• Marlie
  • Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 05:53:57 PM »
A good pick with what was available.  Nonis is doing a decent job so far, hopefully he can complement his picks with a decent ufa or two or via trade that doesn't destroy the core of the team.

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 06:00:02 PM »
it doesn't sound like he has much offensive upside.  Did we waste our first round pick in a deep draft?

Offline Stickytape

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 06:03:50 PM »
it doesn't sound like he has much offensive upside.  Did we waste our first round pick in a deep draft?

This is my only concern.  Most of his shots are wristers under next to no pressure; that won't cut it in the NHL.  But he has some time to develop, so we'll see.

Offline drummond

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 06:14:20 PM »
A good pick with what was available.  Nonis is doing a decent job so far, hopefully he can complement his picks with a decent ufa or two or via trade that doesn't destroy the core of the team.

Hunter Shinkaruk?

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 07:05:12 PM »
66th in QMJHL scoring

He started the season hot with 8G 15P in his first 9 games
He finished the season pretty weak with 6G 9P in 19 games and then had 2 assists in 6 playoff games

You have to like the size, but that's a pretty big tail off in production.  Maybe it's just a lack of conditioning as it was his first year in the QMJHL.  However he just turned 18 and has played one year of Major Junior hockey.

Online hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 07:50:32 PM »
Sounds like a speedster with good puck-handling abilities in more ways than one.  Needs to develop his shot a little, but,.overall good pick.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 11:12:30 PM »

Hunter Shinkaruk?

I figured I wouldn't really like our pick unless somebody fell to us. Shinkaruk would have definitely been that guy. Gauthier and Rychel were the two most common names at 21 in mock drafts and neither of them really wow'ed me. Neither did anybody else in the area. Gauthier in particular. I'm not sure how he'll perform once he's playing in a league where he's not the biggest guy on the ice. Granted, I'm sure he'll still end up being a pretty good third line player, I'd just like a guy with a higher ceiling in the first round. It's the same reason I wasn't a huge fan of the Biggs pick.

Offline moon111

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 12:21:05 AM »
66th in QMJHL scoring

He started the season hot with 8G 15P in his first 9 games
He finished the season pretty weak with 6G 9P in 19 games and then had 2 assists in 6 playoff games

You have to like the size, but that's a pretty big tail off in production.  Maybe it's just a lack of conditioning as it was his first year in the QMJHL.  However he just turned 18 and has played one year of Major Junior hockey.
Pretty sure the broken jaw had something to do with it.  Think Kadri also suffered one and stated it hurt his game for awhile.
R.I.P. Maureen.  You'll always be with us.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 08:36:41 AM »

I figured I wouldn't really like our pick unless somebody fell to us. Shinkaruk would have definitely been that guy. Gauthier and Rychel were the two most common names at 21 in mock drafts and neither of them really wow'ed me. Neither did anybody else in the area. Gauthier in particular. I'm not sure how he'll perform once he's playing in a league where he's not the biggest guy on the ice. Granted, I'm sure he'll still end up being a pretty good third line player, I'd just like a guy with a higher ceiling in the first round. It's the same reason I wasn't a huge fan of the Biggs pick.

@NHL 15h
"In 20 years, I've never seen a kid get back and play defense like he does. @NHLCentralScout Chris Bordeleau on Frederik Gauthier #NHLDraft

Feel any better?

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 21st overall - Frederik Gauthier
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 09:24:23 AM »

@NHL 15h
"In 20 years, I've never seen a kid get back and play defense like he does. @NHLCentralScout Chris Bordeleau on Frederik Gauthier #NHLDraft

Feel any better?

Apparently the Habs wanted him. Anything to screw them over is good with me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

TMLfans.ca

Re: Re: 21st overall - Frederik Gauthier
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 09:24:23 AM »