Author Topic: Marlies Playoff Thread 2013  (Read 8022 times)

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Marlies Playoff Thread 2013
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 06:48:03 PM »
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline leafplasma

• Veteran
  • Blue Bones Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 07:09:13 PM »
http://www.marlies.ca/news/news.asp?story_id=2680

Todays game in 6 for those interested.

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 01:37:55 PM »
I look at this team and shake my head at how they are doing this.  Must come all down to Eakins or our fringe prospects are better than we give them credit for.

I've had similar thoughts.

Now, I quickly agree that the lockout had something to do with it, but ...

The top 8 guys he had in ppg during the season (ignoring Stuart Percy's 4 games) are gone or up with the Leafs. The top ppgs on the team now are Spencer Abbott .60ppg and Mike Zigomanis .54ppg. He hasn't got a great AHL forward scorer in the bunch.

On the D, Eakins lost Gardiner (to be expected), Kostka, Fraser and for a fair period Holzer to the NHL - his top dmen.

He started the season with Scrivens, Rynnas & Ouwya in goal. He's ending it with McIntyre, Sparks, Rynnas (& Ouwya in the ECHL)

He's had 45 or so different players dress for the Marlies this season. Over 30 in the NHL is a lot.

Only 9 guys from his opening lineup are still playing for him.

I look at that line up and don't know how Eakins has done it and kept them winning games with such a turnover. 5th best in AHL win%. Sure and again, the lockout had something to do with the turnover and all AHL teams had to deal with some of that but this team has no established AHL stars left.

It's a collection of guys who can't score much, some NHL reject vets and some unproven kids. I don't see the kind of Calder Cup run they had last season but full credit to Eakins for getting what he has out of this group.

They can't stand in the way of him going to the NHL to coach but hopefully, they make him an offer that's tough to refuse because year after year, he seems to do a good job with what he's got to work with and when his players get called up, they seemed pretty well prepared.

Offline Boston Leaf

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 01:45:02 PM »
I think to keep Eakins I would support letting Carlyle go if that is what it took. As crazy as it sounds

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 02:02:29 PM »
I look at this team and shake my head at how they are doing this.  Must come all down to Eakins or our fringe prospects are better than we give them credit for.

I've had similar thoughts.

Now, I quickly agree that the lockout had something to do with it, but ...

The top 8 guys he had in ppg during the season (ignoring Stuart Percy's 4 games) are gone or up with the Leafs. The top ppgs on the team now are Spencer Abbott .60ppg and Mike Zigomanis .54ppg. He hasn't got a great AHL forward scorer in the bunch.

On the D, Eakins lost Gardiner (to be expected), Kostka, Fraser and for a fair period Holzer to the NHL - his top dmen.

He started the season with Scrivens, Rynnas & Ouwya in goal. He's ending it with McIntyre, Sparks, Rynnas (& Ouwya in the ECHL)

He's had 45 or so different players dress for the Marlies this season. Over 30 in the NHL is a lot.

Only 9 guys from his opening lineup are still playing for him.

I look at that line up and don't know how Eakins has done it and kept them winning games with such a turnover. 5th best in AHL win%. Sure and again, the lockout had something to do with the turnover and all AHL teams had to deal with some of that but this team has no established AHL stars left.

It's a collection of guys who can't score much, some NHL reject vets and some unproven kids. I don't see the kind of Calder Cup run they had last season but full credit to Eakins for getting what he has out of this group.

They can't stand in the way of him going to the NHL to coach but hopefully, they make him an offer that's tough to refuse because year after year, he seems to do a good job with what he's got to work with and when his players get called up, they seemed pretty well prepared.

If Eakins isn't the highest paid AHL coach, he should be. If he takes this current team to the finals again this year, he most certainly will be offered an NHL coaching position somewhere. Hopefully Nonis can convince him to stick around, but unless Carlyle is fired, which is highly unlikely, he'll have a hard time keeping Eakins in the fold.
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 02:08:59 PM »
is O'Rielly playing? Is he playing well?

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »

He's playing regularly but that's going off the stats. I haven't seen much of the Marlies since he joined them.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »

It's just Rielly.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline caveman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 02:42:49 PM »
If the Marlies playoff run goes longer than the Leafs who can be sent down to add to the roster ?

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 03:00:13 PM »
If the Marlies playoff run goes longer than the Leafs who can be sent down to add to the roster ?

I'm pretty sure Hamilton (edit) & Colborne can but that may be it.
link

Second link
http://kylethereporter.com/2013/03/08/marlies-news-notes-march-8th-2013/
“The AHL’s playoff roster deadline will be Monday, Apr. 22nd, at 3 p.m.  ET, by which time all 16 playoff teams must submit to the league a list of playoff-eligible players. Only those players on a team’s playoff  eligibility list, plus signed draft choices and players signed to  amateur tryout contracts, are eligible to compete in the Calder Cup  Playoffs. Players from lower professional leagues can also be added if  they played in at least eight games in the AHL and/or a lower league in  2012-13.  AHL Clear Day roster restrictions have been removed. Any eligible  player on a club’s roster may participate at any time during the  remainder of the regular season and the Calder Cup Playoffs. And per National Hockey League rules, only those players who have  been recalled from an AHL club following the NHL trade deadline  (Wednesday, Apr. 3 at 3 p.m. ET) may be returned to the AHL during the  remainder of the season.”
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:06:20 PM by cw »

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 03:36:22 PM »
That save MacIntyre made was absolutely incredible

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdiHOogSZWU[/youtube]

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 04:06:53 PM »

I have no idea why he reacted like that, why not use the blocker hand to try and block the shot?

Offline drummond

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 04:32:01 PM »

Funny thing is that no one wanted him in January and the Leafs/Marlies picked him up for free... He was rock solid the rest of year for the Marlies.

Offline crazyperfectdevil

• Veteran
  • Dead Inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »

I have no idea why he reacted like that, why not use the blocker hand to try and block the shot?

because he's awesome...that's why

Offline caveman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 04:53:07 PM »

too easy ??    ;D

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 04:53:07 PM »