Author Topic: Standings- position  (Read 32917 times)

Offline Leafaholic99

• Veteran
  • Optimus Reim
    • View Profile
    • Wuskwatim
Re: Standings- position
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 12:01:27 PM »
The North-East has always been a tough division, maybe not the toughest every year, but seems 2-3 of the teams are always tops in the league every season.

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 01:54:31 PM »
to be honest. I hope we finish in a 6th. A much easier first round opponent there.
4 and 5 would all most mean Boston. 

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Standings- position
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 01:58:33 PM »
I'd like to be 4th or one of the top three seeds, it would mean we go into the playoffs red hot which I think is usually a pretty good indicator of success.

Offline ensco

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2013, 05:54:38 PM »
I don't get the preference for Winnipeg. I think, of all the potential road venues, the MTS is the one where I think the Leafs will have the least success.

Offline Leafaholic99

• Veteran
  • Optimus Reim
    • View Profile
    • Wuskwatim
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2013, 05:57:29 PM »
The Jets are a lighter version of the Bruins, the Leafs tend to have more difficulty against teams that play them physically, I'd prefer neither Jets/Bruins in round 1.

Offline leafplasma

• Veteran
  • Blue Bones Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2013, 05:59:54 PM »
I don't get the preference for Winnipeg. I think, of all the potential road venues, the MTS is the one where I think the Leafs will have the least success.

Wouldn't surprise me either if the Canes catch the Jets.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2013, 06:00:17 PM »

You mean, the same arena where the home team has lost more games than they've won this season? The Jets so-called home supremacy is non-existant. Of the potential match ups, the Jets are the weakest team.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Jalili

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »
The Jets are the kind of team I'd want the Leafs to wet their feet against because I think they'd have a really good chance of beating them. Like someone else said, the fact they suck at home negates their home ice advantage.

But the absolute best case scenario would be for the Leafs/Sens to both overtake the Bruins, leading to what would likely be a Leaf/Sen 1st round and a Leaf/Hab 2nd round.

The Canes overtaking the Jets would throw a wrench in that plan, as they always seem to have the upper hand over the Leafs. Depends if Ward is healthy though.

Offline Stickytape

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2013, 06:33:29 AM »
Ottawa's loss last night ties them with the Leafs in points, and actually puts the Leafs ahead of them (the Leafs have more regulation wins in the same number of games) and into 5th for now.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 07:38:49 AM »
Ottawa's loss last night ties them with the Leafs in points, and actually puts the Leafs ahead of them (the Leafs have more regulation wins in the same number of games) and into 5th for now.

Looking at the standings this morning, and I see Boston and Toronto sitting 4th and 5th. Yikes. This is the worst possible first round match up for the Leafs. This needs to change! I'm now cheering for Ottawa to take us over or for Boston to overtake the Habs.
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Stickytape

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2013, 08:52:45 AM »
The Sens have a fairly comfortable set of games ahead of them, so who knows.  Boston is also just 1 point behind Montreal and even in games played, so the fourth spot could still go to either of them.  I'd rather play Montreal than Boston, though not by much.

Offline drummond

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 09:12:02 AM »
Jets have not won anything yet. The Southeast is wide open. Capitals trail 2pts. with 2 games in hand on Winnipeg and Carolina is trailing 4 points with 3 games in hand on Winnipeg.

Just a side note - would be fascinating to see what happens if for example Rangers finish out of the playoffs with more points than winner of the SouthEast Division of Crap, not to mention that it guarantees home ice etc.

Anyhow, all that said I tend to agree that whoever ends up winning the South East division seems to be fairly acceptable opponent. it would suggest that being 6th is the most desirable postion. But.

If Bruins can overpass Canadiens, which is quite likely, it opens a very intriguing scenario Canadiens (4th) vs. Leafs (5th). It would be just epic and I can not imagine better Leafs comeback into the Stanley Cup playoffs.

The Leafs play very well against the Habs and beating them in the first round is feasible.

So I say, go for it guys. Don´t speculate, get as many points as possible, build momentum and finish either 4th or - more likely - 5th and smoke that bloody Habs.

The only problem is, if the Bruins do not overtake Habs, we end up playing Bruins... kind of nightmarish scenario.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:14:45 AM by drummond »

Offline AtomicMapleLeaf

• Prospect
  • Leaf Fan in Los Alamos, NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2013, 09:38:57 PM »
My preference is the Habs, Sens, or Jets in no particular order.  So in order for one of those matches to happen I'm hoping for Leafs, Sens, Habs to finish in the 4th, 5th, and 6th position.  Don't care how they are ordered.  I think our kid's first playoff experience should be a Canadian rival, it would be extra special to sweep the Sens!

Offline leafplasma

• Veteran
  • Blue Bones Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »
My preference is the Habs, Sens, or Jets in no particular order.  So in order for one of those matches to happen I'm hoping for Leafs, Sens, Habs to finish in the 4th, 5th, and 6th position.  Don't care how they are ordered.  I think our kid's first playoff experience should be a Canadian rival, it would be extra special to sweep the Sens!

Yes it is just a matter of time before Boston jumps up to 2nd and Habs fall to 4th.  So it will likely be the Habs or Caps we play.  Love to see the Leafs move into 4th overtaking the Habs and it can still happen as we play them twice but would be hard.  If we drop to 6th certainly looking like the Caps may  be the team we play now as they are just 2 pts back of the Jets with 2 games in hand.  Caps sched looks good for them too but Jets sched looks similar actually.  Jets and Caps play each other one more time.  The Canes have a tough sched as they play Pens and Bruins both twice so I think it is safe to say we wont be playing them now.

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2013, 10:05:55 AM »
I say Caps get in and take 3rd, Bruins take the NE division and finish 2nd, Habs fall to 4th and toss up between Leafs and Sens for 5th & 6th.  Rangers are in and likely stay there with a 3-way fight for 8th between NJ, NYI and Wpg. I think Carolina is toast.

So,

1. Pitts
2. Bos
3. Was
4. Mtl
5. Ott/Tor
6. Tor/Ott
7. NYR
8. NJ/NYI/Wpg <-- NJ likely wins out. They always find a way.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2013, 10:05:55 AM »