Author Topic: Ryan O'Reilly  (Read 19055 times)

Offline sb78

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Ryan O'Reilly
« on: February 13, 2013, 11:10:36 AM »
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but i haven't seen a thread related to this.   There has been a lot of chatter the last couple of days about O'Reilly being on the trade market and 590 was speculating as to what the Leafs would have to give up to get him.  Brady suggested Kadri plus additional assets, which to me is absolutely absurd.  He went so far as to suggest that anything short of kadri and gardiner would not be enough to get a deal done.  Now i don't watch must avalanche hockey, but looking at his numbers, these suggestions seem pretty ridiculous.

O'Reilly had a decent year last year with 55 pts in 81 games, but other than the fact that he's been developed in the NHL will Kadri has been developing with the Marlies, I wouldn't say he's all that much further ahead than Kadri.  At this point, O'Reilly is sitting on his @$$ at home while Kadri is playing at almost a point a game pace, so Kadri is catching up to him.   

While it would be nice to add another nice young centre to the mix, I wouldn't even think of making a 1-for-1 trade involving Kadri for an unsigned RFA that really doesn't have any more upside to him. 

What do you guys think is a fair price for O'Reiily and where would he fit in on this team, if anywhere? 

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan O'Reilly
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 11:16:07 AM »
Kadri and Gardiner are the new Colaiacovo and Antropov...

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 11:24:19 AM »

Only with more talent.

Offline Can8899

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 11:30:29 AM »
Would a trade including Gunnar for him be too much?

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 11:39:52 AM »

Only with more talent.

Less damage to their knees, as well.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Omallley

• Global Moderator
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 11:42:16 AM »
I am not convinced that O'Reilly is that much of an upgrade on what the Leafs have currently, or would have after the trade. He's proven to be a really defensively responsible forward, and did lead his team in scoring last year. But that's the bit I'd be worried about - paying the price that Colorado wants for him, paying O'Reilly the money that he believes he deserves, and expecting him to slot in as a first line center? Not sure that is going to fit.

Offline Sudafederov

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Ryan O'Reilly
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »

Kadri + Gards + 1st

Offline Justin

• Rookie
  • @justorbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 12:57:19 PM »
I feel like we'll have to give up too much for him in order for a trade to be worthwhile. Not only that, but we'll have to sign him to a contract another NHL team obviously though too high/overpriced. As much as O'Reilly entices me, he'll be another 2nd line centre on a team that already has 2 or 3 of them. I'd rather keep my assets and sign Getzlaf in the off-season.

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 01:14:37 PM »
Brady suggested Kadri plus additional assets, which to me is absolutely absurd.  He went so far as to suggest that anything short of kadri and gardiner would not be enough to get a deal done.  Now i don't watch must avalanche hockey, but looking at his numbers, these suggestions seem pretty ridiculous.

What do you guys think is a fair price for O'Reiily and where would he fit in on this team, if anywhere?

yeah i wouldn't put much stock in what Brady says, ever.  That deal makes no sense at all from the Toronto perspective, since as you suggest... Kadri really isn't all that far off from being just about as valuable based on his NHL production.  Give him another 10 games at even close to the current level and that would cement it.  So why trade a guy on his entry level deal for a guy about to cash in big time?  And throw Gardiner in to boot? Uh, no.

Gardiner + an expiring contract would be the best offer I'd make. Even then, I'm hesitant.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 01:35:32 PM »
Gardner, Komiserik, a bag of beans, a 2nd and 3rd round pick.. oh and we would pay half of Komiserks salary this year.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline A Weekend at Bernier's

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 01:51:07 PM »

Something built around this suggestion (+) would be reasonable, I think.  Gunnarson, Bozak and a 3'rd round pick? 

Offline iwas11in67

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 02:54:24 PM »

Something built around this suggestion (+) would be reasonable, I think.  Gunnarson, Bozak and a 3'rd round pick?

I was thinking around the same.

Offline Can8899

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 04:26:04 PM »

I was thinking around the same.

That still seems like a lot, especially considering how well Bozak has been playing recently.  Bozak and O'Reilly have similar stats over the last few seasons however O'Reilly is 4 years younger. 

Even so, I would think we could get it done with Gunnarsson + MacArthur or prospect (McKegg, Ryan, Blacker, etc.) + pick.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 01:42:41 PM »
I'd trade Kadri and a 2nd for O'Reilly. Kadri might have similar upside at the offensive end of the rink, but let's face it, if Kadri's offense dries up or gets cold, he's pretty much useless. If O'Reilly's offense dries up or gets cold, he's still a damn fine defensive forward that you can send out in any situation.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:44:50 PM by RedLeaf »
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 02:03:45 PM »
I'd trade Kadri and a 2nd for O'Reilly. Kadri might have similar upside at the offensive end of the rink, but let's face it, if Kadri's offense dries up or gets cold, he's pretty much useless. If O'Reilly's offense dries up or gets cold, he's still a damn fine defensive forward that you can send out in any situation.

Do we really know what Kadri's "ceiling" is yet?  It's the first season he's been given a full time role.  He's averaging 14 min/game and is almost on a point a game pace right now.  O'Reilly last year averaged 19 min/game and had 55 points in 81 games.

Now i'm not suggesting Kadri is a bona-fide 70-80 point player, but we just don't know that yet.  I'd be hesitant to trade him away when he's just starting to find his role.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 02:03:45 PM »