Author Topic: Leo Komarov  (Read 5001 times)

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Leo Komarov
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 09:42:35 AM »
No worries chief, as usual I was as clear as mud. :D

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 09:47:58 AM »
No worries chief, as usual I was as clear as mud. :D

I got what you were saying, I thought it was pretty clear.

Offline Justin

• Rookie
  • @justorbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 12:50:24 PM »
Can we pleas have a Kulemin - Kadri - Komarov line please? Or not...

But seriously, I'm really excited about Komarov. Someone mentioned in the other thread that he can be like Darcy Tucker and if that's the case I'll love him forever. The Leafs lacked some grit and toughness last year so I'm glad to see Komarov added to the roster.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 03:42:53 PM »
From Holzer
Fueling his efforts is an unwillingness to engage, chirp or even acknowledge conflict. "…he just walks away and that gets you more rattled and then this is the time when you take a stupid penalty most of the time," Holzer noted.

A scouting report.
What Komarov Brings The Leafs

Leo gives the Leafs a third line forward who can draw penalties and pound other teams stars. He also likes to crash the net and his nice shot can help him put up goals when doing so. He's not going to score 50 goals but he'll be able to chip in 10-15 goals as a third line winger, plus he'll give the Leafs powerplay opportunities to score every night with the amount of penalties he draws.

From Eakins
“By the time there was about seven minutes left in the first period the whole other team was chasing Leo around trying to kill him,” Eakins said. “They didn’t care about anything else — they were going to get him. And he wasn’t doing anything dirty. He was going to the net and he was hitting hard. But they didn’t like that he was hitting certain players. Teams get discombobulated when Leo does what he does.”

I could go on, but the consensus does seem to be that he forces the other team to take more penalties than he takes himself.

I guess I should see him play at least once before I run out and get a Komarov jersey, but I continue to love what I hear about him.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »
I guess I should see him play at least once before I run out and get a Komarov jersey, but I continue to love what I hear about him.

I think it's just the kind of hockey players "we" seem to like here in Toronto...maybe Canada.  We like the guys that get their noses dirty, play a little tougher, and can still contribute on the scoresheet.

I'd say that's why many covet Getzlaf and Perry. 

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 04:53:27 PM »

I think the interesting thing to see about Komarov will be to see primarily how capable he is of chipping in offensively. Maybe it's just me but I've found in the past that the guys who really do thrive in the pest role are the guys who you have to legitimately worry about scoring if they're not played physically which does then yield a lot of drawn penalties as guys get suckered into aggressively dealing with the pests more annoying qualities.

Guys like Esa Tikkanen, for instance, thrive in the role. Guys like Steve Webb tend to do their team more harm than good.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 05:27:50 PM »

I think the interesting thing to see about Komarov will be to see primarily how capable he is of chipping in offensively. Maybe it's just me but I've found in the past that the guys who really do thrive in the pest role are the guys who you have to legitimately worry about scoring if they're not played physically which does then yield a lot of drawn penalties as guys get suckered into aggressively dealing with the pests more annoying qualities.

Guys like Esa Tikkanen, for instance, thrive in the role. Guys like Steve Webb tend to do their team more harm than good.

I hope Komarov's ability to skate away from incident's makes him avoid the dark side of pests,
All The Best
Dan

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 08:50:39 AM »
The finishing touch on what ended up being a pretty solid draft class for the Leafs.

1 (1) - Tlusty
2 (2) - Kulemin
3 (4) - Reimer
4 (4) - Holzer
5 (6) - Stalberg
6 (6) - Ruegsseger
7 (6) - Komarov

6 out of 7 picks being guys with what appears to be legitimate NHL futures/careers is pretty solid.

Offline moon111

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 09:04:35 AM »
After one game, is tied for the league-lead in hits with Jordan Staal. 
R.I.P. Maureen.  You'll always be with us.

Offline mjmgrand

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 09:54:37 AM »
Really enjoyed what I saw out of him last night.  I like when guys finish checks on dump-ins, go out of their way to initiate bodily contact at all times, and play a nasty, chippy game.  Komarov was doing this all night in a way that we have not truly seen since Tucker in his good days.

Especially enjoyed how he is not afraid to skate into defensive coverage with the puck and vainly attempt to penetrate but actually keying in on the body. He did this several times in the game last night. It just causes mayhem because a lot of people don't skate that way anymore and its hilarious to watch.  I have employed it myself many times when I played. It's a great powderpuff play when you know a rush has broken down and their is no fancy play to be made but you don't want to abort the puck just yet.

Offline nutman

• Veteran
  • Marner... This kid has game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 09:56:52 AM »
I am hyped about this kid, I se him as our new tucker.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 08:08:57 AM »
Wonder why Komarov did not practice today?  Steckel was betweend Frattin and Kadri.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 08:10:01 AM »
Maintenance day.

Offline crowlster

• Prospect
  • Playoffs!... Did you say playoffs?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 04:44:47 PM »
Best Player on the Leafs right now.... he is the highlight for me every night throwing those hits

Offline Justin

• Rookie
  • @justorbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 12:43:28 PM »
Looked up the stats today and was shocked to see Komarov 2nd in the NHL hits and 1st among forwards. If he can develop his offensive game a little bit more he'd be a real solid player.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 12:43:28 PM »