Author Topic: Official 2012-2013 CHL Prospects Thread  (Read 16943 times)

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2012-2013 CHL Prospects Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 08:32:38 PM »
Biggs, Broll, and Rupert will have to be careful with this one. Broll and Rupert each picked up 7 fighting majors last season.

Cam Charron ‏@camcharron

Tyler Biggs with fight 1/10, picks up an instigator and is booted. This is going to be a fun season.

That took long.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 10:41:47 PM »
Interesting point I just read. Say I've been know to drop 'em and I happen to have 9. Then some idiot (with knowledge I'm at 9) two hands me across the shins? I don't know, it seems players might exploit this.

David Branch was just on PTS with Bob McCown and said fights will be reviewed specifically addressing that if a player with 9 fights gets into a fight, and if the other player is deemed the instigator, the fight may not count toward the 10th fight for the player with 9 previous fights.

Okay, good. Common sense prevails!

Let's be pretty clear about that one though.  David Branch isn't known for leniency when it comes to doling out punishment.  He rules the NHL with an iron fist.  There is no doubt in my mind that anything short of the other player pulling out a gun and trying to rob a baby, he's still going to suspend the player with 9+ fights.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 12:00:11 AM »
Biggs, Broll, and Rupert will have to be careful with this one. Broll and Rupert each picked up 7 fighting majors last season.

Cam Charron ‏@camcharron

Tyler Biggs with fight 1/10, picks up an instigator and is booted. This is going to be a fun season.

That took long.

Sounds like he won the fight pretty easily too. Here's hoping hockeyfights.com posts the video.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 12:02:43 AM »
Also, I had Biggs' height and weight listed as 6'2'' 205lbs in the opening post, but I've read a number of articles claiming he's now 6'3'' 224lbs.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 06:54:16 AM »
Interesting point I just read. Say I've been know to drop 'em and I happen to have 9. Then some idiot (with knowledge I'm at 9) two hands me across the shins? I don't know, it seems players might exploit this.

David Branch was just on PTS with Bob McCown and said fights will be reviewed specifically addressing that if a player with 9 fights gets into a fight, and if the other player is deemed the instigator, the fight may not count toward the 10th fight for the player with 9 previous fights.

Okay, good. Common sense prevails!

Let's be pretty clear about that one though.  David Branch isn't known for leniency when it comes to doling out punishment.  He rules the NHL with an iron fist.  There is no doubt in my mind that anything short of the other player pulling out a gun and trying to rob a baby, he's still going to suspend the player with 9+ fights.

We'll see. Like I said, I'm rather concerned this will be exploited by some players.

Offline A Weekend at Bernier's

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 10:14:26 AM »
Also, I had Biggs' height and weight listed as 6'2'' 205lbs in the opening post, but I've read a number of articles claiming he's now 6'3'' 224lbs.

That is a big body, no doubt about it.  He should fill out a bit more, too.

I think the new fighting rules will affect someone like Biggs.  Not sure if it will be detrimental, though.  I was concerned that coming, from US hockey programs, Biggs would spend an inordinate amount of his CHL time focusing on fighting.  Now, I'd like to see this side of his game remain / become strong, but hopefully this also prompts him to focus on his skill development and, especially, scoring.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 11:38:12 AM »

I think he should probably be playing in the AHL, but that's me. As above, he could use the time to work on his skills, but I guess someone is going to have to talk to him about a plan. I can see the penalty minutes racking up for this kid.
BWB

Offline A Weekend at Bernier's

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 01:27:08 PM »

I think he should probably be playing in the AHL, but that's me. As above, he could use the time to work on his skills, but I guess someone is going to have to talk to him about a plan. I can see the penalty minutes racking up for this kid.

There's something to be said for playing at a level and, while perhaps not dominating, exceling.  CHL might be the better option this year, just to get a really good year under his belt before hitting the ice with the big boys.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 03:03:13 PM »
There's something to be said for playing at a level and, while perhaps not dominating, exceling.  CHL might be the better option this year, just to get a really good year under his belt before hitting the ice with the big boys.

He may be the biggest boy there, whenever he gets there.
BWB

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 12:48:52 AM »
The OHL and WHL seasons began yesterday, but most teams got their first taste of action on Friday. A few notes on the Leafs that stuck out:

-Rielly picked up a powerplay assist in Moose Jaw's 4-3 victory over Swift Current
-Finn had 3 assists in Guelph's 4-3 win over Saginaw. Sparks was in net for the victory and made 23 saves
-Brown assisted on both of Erie's goals as they fell 8-2 to London, Rupert picked up his first fighting major in the game
-Broll had 2 assists in a 6-5 win over Plymouth

A pretty productive Friday night for the Leafs prospects. Anything noteworthy happens tomorrow I'll make mention of it, otherwise expect an update early next week.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2012, 12:51:38 AM »

There's no doubt that he's physically ready for the AHL, but his offensive skills likely aren't where they need to be right now. And considering the depth that the Marlies have right now, especially with the lockout, he wouldn't have been given the chance to develop those in the AHL like he will with Oshawa.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 01:11:08 AM »
Also, here's a video of Biggs' fight from Thursday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdwKGYV-cmc

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 11:15:16 AM »
There's no doubt that he's physically ready for the AHL, but his offensive skills likely aren't where they need to be right now. And considering the depth that the Marlies have right now, especially with the lockout, he wouldn't have been given the chance to develop those in the AHL like he will with Oshawa.

Yeah, there's no doubt that he can use the work on his other skills, but man, he could do some damage in the O' this season, physically. Let's just hope that he works as much as possible on his offensive skills.
BWB

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2012, 12:50:17 PM »
Also, here's a video of Biggs' fight from Thursday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdwKGYV-cmc

Seymor nails the lineseman in that fight. surprised that went unpunished.. or did it?

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2012, 05:20:10 PM »
I managed to make it to the Wolves vs Generals game on Friday night.
Biggs picked up a point on the 1st Oshawa goal but was fairly invisible for most of the game.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2012, 05:20:10 PM »