Author Topic: 10 People Who Could Improve the Leafs.  (Read 4374 times)

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: 10 People Who Could Improve the Leafs.
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 11:12:39 PM »
The top line wasn't the reason we missed the playoffs last season though. If that group can maintain status quo and we improve our defence and goaltending then the playoffs should be a realistic goal.

Exactly. The issue last season wasn't the top line, it was the goaltending, defence and inconsistent secondary scoring. Bozak on the top line is way down on the list of reasons why the Leafs might not make the playoffs.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:14:49 PM by bustaheims »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 11:31:01 PM »
The top line wasn't the reason we missed the playoffs last season though.

But no one thing was the reason the Leafs missed the playoffs. No one thing was that bad and, on the flip side, nothing was really good enough. Even Lupul/Kessel, at their best, tended to struggle a bit when they were required to do just about anything other than score in a free wheeling game(particularly during the slide). So, yeah, not a trainwreck but it needs to improve just the same as anything else
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2012, 11:54:57 PM »
So maybe the key acquisition that's needed is not a #1C, but a #2C? Is it possible that we'll be able to fill that role internally? kadri or Colborne?

It's my recollection, and take it for what it's worth, that Kessel/Grabo weren't a terrific combination in part because both guys are most effective when they've got the puck.

Personally I still think that they need a #1 centre who's not only an effective player himself but also addresses some of the short comings that the #1 line has as presently constructed. Physicality/defense/what have you.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 07:16:28 PM »
So maybe the key acquisition that's needed is not a #1C, but a #2C? Is it possible that we'll be able to fill that role internally? kadri or Colborne?

It's my recollection, and take it for what it's worth, that Kessel/Grabo weren't a terrific combination in part because both guys are most effective when they've got the puck.

Personally I still think that they need a #1 centre who's not only an effective player himself but also addresses some of the short comings that the #1 line has as presently constructed. Physicality/defense/what have you.

I'll second the Kessel/Grabo recollection.  When they played together, it was underwhelming at best.  I don't think external help is coming, so it may be best to approach the situation is by have a good group of top 6 forwards, because they aren't going to match the talent of a Pittsburgh or a Philly. 

I think the only chance that the Leafs are going to have this year is to outwork their opponents, and win through committee, like the Coyotes.  If you look at that Coyotes, I don't think their roster is all that much better than the Leafs, but they find a way to win.  I think that Phoenix is coached extremely well, but I think the Leafs may have a little more talent on their roster.  At the end of the day, it isn't out of the realm of possibility for this team to make the playoffs, but I do think a lot has to go right.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline caveman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 07:28:49 PM »

Just to keep that line of thinking going I have thought the Leafs could try to pick up a center who is not thought of as a number 1 guy , but who brings those qualities. Big and defensively sound, decent passer, somebody who could equal Bozak's offense but also bring better defensive play and bang a bit. I don't know who that could be but they do exist.

Offline moon111

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2012, 02:06:35 PM »

Just to keep that line of thinking going I have thought the Leafs could try to pick up a center who is not thought of as a number 1 guy , but who brings those qualities. Big and defensively sound, decent passer, somebody who could equal Bozak's offense but also bring better defensive play and bang a bit. I don't know who that could be but they do exist.
Sounds like the Doug Gilmour trade all over.
R.I.P. Maureen.  You'll always be with us.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2012, 02:06:35 PM »