Author Topic: Karma isn't necessarily a witch...  (Read 18274 times)

Offline Michael

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Karma isn't necessarily a witch...
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 11:00:08 AM »
It's more of a behavior barometer than a popular opinion one.

Interesting. I guess we will see.

Offline Kessel Run

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 05:50:26 PM »
I can certainly see this getting interesting.

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2012, 10:53:43 AM »
Interesting new feature, I noticed I was applauded and smote within a few minutes, not sure why in either case.

I'll use the applaud function and ignore the smite function, fwiw. Thanks Rick!
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2012, 11:09:17 AM »

I appreciate the intent here but I think Fanatic's point is already sort of bearing fruit. Just look at his own score of -3(which I point out not to call attention to anything but his own point here). He's made four posts in the last few days. I'd challenge anybody to point to any of his posts that in anyway represent hijacking a thread or being a jerk. He's made his two posts in this thread, one reposting of an article about Kadri and then he asked the CBA thread about whether people were optimistic or pessimistic. 

So, I mean, trust me I don't have the slightest problem with the idea here(and I think anyone who's ever interacted with me will know I won't pay any attention to my own negative rankings) but I don't think this is going to be about behaviour.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Manson

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2012, 11:19:56 AM »
This is hilarious...great idea Rick!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:22:32 AM by Manson »

Offline A Weekend at Bernier's

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2012, 12:25:10 PM »
Agree with Fanatic and Nik.  For me, I just feel it's an unnecessary function.  As someone who comes onto the site once or twice daily, it's readily apparent who the individuals are who make this a great place to visit.  Not sure what the Karma rating adds.  I could see the value if this was a transactional site and a poster's reputation is an important consideration in dealing with them.  Here, I don't see the point.

And in my time here I have found Nik to be one of, if not the, most helpful, thoughful and considerate people on here.  He's one of the select few that, without them, this site would not nearly be the same.  The fact that he has -43 after a few days shows how meaningless the karma function is and how poorly it is being and will be used.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2012, 12:27:44 PM »
Probably won't even use it to be honest.  Been on another forum before where they had it and I never really ever remembered it was there.

Offline Michael

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2012, 12:29:54 PM »
Agree with Fanatic and Nik.  For me, I just feel it's an unnecessary function.  As someone who comes onto the site once or twice daily, it's readily apparent who the individuals are who make this a great place to visit.  Not sure what the Karma rating adds.  I could see the value if this was a transactional site and a poster's reputation is an important consideration in dealing with them.  Here, I don't see the point.

And in my time here I have found Nik to be one of, if not the, most helpful, thoughful and considerate people on here.  He's one of the select few that, without them, this site would not nearly be the same.  The fact that he has -43 after a few days shows how meaningless the karma function is and how poorly it is being and will be used.

I like the way that Corn Flake put it. It is more of a behavior barometer than a popularity button. That means that you can disagree with someone and even have a wildly different opinion than they do and you should be okay. But if you go about it in a harsh tone or in a condescending way then you will likely get a few smites.

From that standpoint it is not a bad idea. It is sort of a way of policing what has always been the desire here since the early days of this board - state your opinion, but play nice.

Offline A Weekend at Bernier's

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2012, 12:35:20 PM »

I like the way that Corn Flake put it. It is more of a behavior barometer than a popularity button. That means that you can disagree with someone and even have a wildly different opinion than they do and you should be okay. But if you go about it in a harsh tone or in a condescending way then you will likely get a few smites.

From that standpoint it is not a bad idea. It is sort of a way of policing what has always been the desire here since the early days of this board - state your opinion, but play nice.

I understand that perspective.  But as my Nik example shows, in the same way as Nik's example of your karma showed, this is not the way it's going to be used.

I would also contend that the core of the TMLFans community did a pretty good job of policing the forums.  I can recall a fairly recent example of a new member who's negativity and caustic approach caused many of the senior members to respond harshly.  Haven't seen that person post since.

Lastly, I'd hate to think that the Karma function would have discouraged the hillarity of the infamous "Semen" thread.  That was thread was off-colour gold.

Offline Manson

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2012, 12:38:45 PM »
I think it's being used as a Like / Dislike feature about how people feel about each member, rightly or wrongly.  Either way, I think it's pretty telling.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:45:42 PM by Manson »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2012, 12:43:14 PM »

If that were the case why has Champ gotten a minus three just since posting in this thread? Is he being disrespectful? Hijacking the thread? Or is he expressing an unpopular opinion?

Trust me, I don't need numbers next to my name to know I have unpopular opinions.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2012, 12:44:48 PM »
I think it's being used as a Like / Dislike feature to be honest, rightly or wrongly.  Either way, I think it's pretty telling.

Yup.  It certainly could be both, and the combination of unpopular opinion + negative attitude creates an exponential effect.

Offline Green Leaf

• Rookie
  • We Are Everyday Builders
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2012, 12:53:09 PM »
HEY! Im never negative, but provide 1 line feedback once in a while, and my karma is being stripped... Anyone want to load some on me?   ???

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2012, 12:56:05 PM »
The court of public opinion can be a cruel one.

Offline Green Leaf

• Rookie
  • We Are Everyday Builders
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2012, 12:58:23 PM »
oh ... i know....  ;)

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2012, 12:58:23 PM »