Author Topic: According to Chelios Babcock isn't compatible with skilled players  (Read 957 times)

Offline crazyperfectdevil

• Veteran
  • Dead Inside
    • View Profile
https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/chelios-babcock-is-a-deterrent-to-skilled-players

“No veteran free agent is going to want to come in and play for Mike Babcock. I wanted to because I wanted to stay in Detroit, but no matter what I did — I tried so hard to win his heart over and I just couldn’t.”

He adds that the Red Wings move to their new arena and the fact that Babcock is no longer coach in Detroit will actually help the team recruit the best players.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: According to Chelios Babcock isn't compatible with skilled players
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »
I wanted to because I wanted to stay in Detroit, but no matter what I did — I tried so hard to win his heart over and I just couldn’t.”

Chelios was a shell of his former self by the time Babcock came along. Couple this with Commodore's comments and the headline may as well be "Babcock isn't compatible with bad players". And I mean that still wouldn't be accurate.

Offline crazyperfectdevil

• Veteran
  • Dead Inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 01:13:07 PM »
I wanted to because I wanted to stay in Detroit, but no matter what I did — I tried so hard to win his heart over and I just couldn’t.”

Chelios was a shell of his former self by the time Babcock came along. Couple this with Commodore's comments and the headline may as well be "Babcock isn't compatible with bad players". And I mean that still wouldn't be accurate.

Yeah, I'm sure every coach has his detractors.  I was just surprised i wasn't seeing this one in more places because this is the kind of thing the media generally goes crazy with.  I thought it was more interesting he felt now was the time to go back into it?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 01:15:12 PM »
I'm not sure what the explanation would be for Babcock clashing so much with skilled players and the fact that they kept their core group together for so long. Datsyuk sure seemed happy to play for him and he's probably one of the top 10 most skilled guys I've ever seen.

They also signed Marian Hossa as a UFA with Babcock as coach so....
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline McGarnagle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 05:38:19 PM »
Yeah, it's a good thing all those Team Canada squads coached by babcock were made up of scrubs, as we no doubt would have lost otherwise what with the inability to coach good players.

Offline sneakyray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 08:46:14 AM »
yeah, they played this on detroit sports radio and to be fair the hosts didn't buy it.  Their point was that Detroit has been bad for a few years now and babcock took a bad team to the playoffs for the last few years he was there.

Also, he won one cup and probably would have won the second if datsyuk wasn't hurt so yeah...you know what attracts free agents...winning.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 03:54:11 PM »
I remember Chelios was ripping on Shanahan as well. Something about him being a politician, and he's great if you like that sort of guy. He also seemed to be annoyed that Shanahan was in the position he's in with the Leafs without any real experience. It all sounds like sour grapes to me.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares Drew Doughty

Online Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »
Hey even Jesus had his detractors...don't we know.  There is always someone to knock someone, thats the world wees in
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline KW Sluggo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 04:41:23 PM »
We had 30 to 40 years during which the players, their personalities and priorities dominated the team and what did that achieve?

Yes we signed many veteran ("I want to end my career as a Leaf") UFAs and we traded for some, all of whom picked up some big money and most of whom became doorstops.

We now have coach whose resume, profile and contract are on the same level, if not higher, than most of the players.

I am seeing how that worked out and I like what I see. Equally, I like what I don't see, namely "blue & white" disease and any mention of same.

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 09:12:40 PM »

Hey even Jesus had his detractors

Post of the year

Online Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 01:43:08 PM »
I heard the full audio quote on Hockey Central yesterday and you could hear him smiling, saying it in a light-hearted way. The panel agreed Chelly wouldn't say anything he'd have a problem with telling Babcock himself. Babs is a demanding coach, accountability and buy-in up and down the lineup. I could see how that would rub some vets the wrong way. That's pro sports.
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Online Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 01:48:35 PM »
I heard the full audio quote on Hockey Central yesterday and you could hear him smiling, saying it in a light-hearted way. The panel agreed Chelly wouldn't say anything he'd have a problem with telling Babcock himself. Babs is a demanding coach, accountability and buy-in up and down the lineup. I could see how that would rub some vets the wrong way. That's pro sports.

Yeah, and at the end of the day, there are going to be some players that can handle playing for Babcock and some that can't.  At the end of the day, as has been stated, the chance to win trumps a lot of things.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 01:48:35 PM »