Author Topic: Ranking Prospects Post-Matthews  (Read 33988 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Prospects Post-Matthews
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2016, 12:20:27 PM »

Girard is a Hab? When did I miss that?
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2016, 12:26:43 PM »

Girard is a Hab? When did I miss that?

Whoops, my bad. Didn't check the draft list properly and assumed from another draft article. Girard is with the Preds.

Offline KW Sluggo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2016, 04:02:20 PM »
Because then why limit it at 25?  Why not assess our ENTIRE talent pool. That certainly broadens things.

I answered that in the post you quote.

In one respect you did answer it but you did not direct an answer to the meaning of the more recent question, namely, if broadening the pool under discussion is important enough to include regular NHL players merely because there are under age 25 (e.g. Morgan Reilly who is by no definition a prospect, he is a developing NHL player with several years in the league and zero chance of going to the AHL other than for reconditioning after an injury), then that principle should also lead to elimination of the arbitrary age 25 limit.

The bottom line is that it is PPP criteria that are flawed, not the criteria of commenters who want to discuss the ranking of legitimate prospects.  In that respect I do like the age 25 criterion but the question you were asked related to the rationale you applied of "broadening the pool" which frankly contradicts the assertion that the age limit is acceptable.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2016, 05:43:51 PM »
In one respect you did answer it but you did not direct an answer to the meaning of the more recent question, namely, if broadening the pool under discussion is important enough to include regular NHL players merely because there are under age 25 (e.g. Morgan Reilly who is by no definition a prospect, he is a developing NHL player with several years in the league and zero chance of going to the AHL other than for reconditioning after an injury), then that principle should also lead to elimination of the arbitrary age 25 limit.

I really don't know why you wanted to bump this after a month but it's not a question of importance, it's a matter of accurately summing up the amount of, for lack of a better word, potential in an organization. It's trying to get a read on where a team will be a few years from now based on the talent within the organization or to get a gauge on the unrealized potential within an organization based on the players within an organization. In either situation a player being in the NHL or not is immaterial to the discussion. Trying to predict where the Oilers will be in 2-3 years but eliminating consideration of Connor McDavid on the basis of him already being in the NHL is pointless. It's not informative or enlightening.

In that scenario you're not arriving at a meaningful ranking, you're just engaging in arbitrary rankings that rewards bad drafting as much as good drafting because the best drafting results in players making the NHL quickly.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2016, 09:06:54 AM »
PPP: 15. Zach Hyman
TLN: 10. Nikita Soshnikov

Zach Hyman and Nikita Soshnikov occupy the upper middle of our current depth chart of shift disturbers: Kadri (sort of, hybrid skilled center/mucky muck), Komarov, Hyman, Soshnikov, Martin, Grundstrom, Dzierkals. So long as Babcock is our coach, these guys are going to get spotlight time next to the likes of Matthews, Nylander, and Marner.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:52:56 AM by herman »

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2016, 09:36:51 AM »
A note on why 25 works as the age cap when assessing an organization's talent depth: players tend to hit their development plateaus around 25. Their production becomes easier to predict and they are known quantities and their ceiling is basically established. The league a player currently suits up for is merely an indicator of where that player's performance tier lands (coupled with age restrictions and geography, I guess).

Especially in a salary cap system, where the most efficient production (P/$) generally comes from your youth, assessing the talent depth at this stage is a great indicator of the team's health and longevity.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2016, 09:55:22 AM »
A note on why 25 works as the age cap when assessing an organization's talent depth

Also: Top 25 under 25 has a nice sounding ring to it.

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2016, 09:10:22 AM »
PPP: 14. Frank Corrado
TLN: 9. Travis Dermott

Because of his interesting acquisition and limited ice time, I know a lot about Frank Corrado, but very little about how he plays. Babcock fed him a steady diet of cushy offensive zone starts and sort of like he did with Rielly (but in reverse), he's going to dangle harder minutes for him to earn. I truly hope he relegates Polak to the bench.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:39:40 AM by herman »

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2016, 09:06:10 AM »
PPP: 13. Dmytro Timashov
TLN: 8. Dmytro Timashov

Timashov was my favourite pick after Marner in 2014 2015. He's got every tool outside of size (but strength is not an issue). He's Marlie-eligible this year, and I can see him staying there for the next two years, with brief stints in the NHL on call ups. Plays a similar game to Soshnikov, but with more skill and playmaking and more development runway. He would have placed higher in my personal T25U25 list (bottom half of top 10).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 09:37:54 AM by herman »

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2016, 10:32:57 AM »
My son flipped when they drafted him, i had never heard about him and don't know how my son was so much in the loop, but lets hope he is the steal of his draft year.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2016, 09:10:54 AM »
PPP: 12. Andreas Johnson
TLN: 7. Andreas Johnson

We have yet another confluence of voting.

Judging by these write ups, Andreas Johnson is a leopard. Not the biggest cat. Not the fastest cat. Not the strongest cat. But he will find that perfect spot to sit and wait. And he will get you. And you won't see it coming.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:24:30 AM by herman »

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2016, 09:29:55 AM »

Timashov was my favourite pick after Marner in 2014. He's got every tool outside of size (but strength is not an issue). He's Marlie-eligible this year, and I can see him staying there for the next two years, with brief stints in the NHL on call ups. Plays a similar game to Soshnikov, but with more skill and playmaking and more development runway. He would have placed higher in my personal T25U25 list (bottom half of top 10).

Alot has happened in Leafland recently for sure, making Marner and Timashov's draft seem like ages ago, but they were in fact drafted in 2015, just to clarify.

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2016, 09:37:24 AM »

Timashov was my favourite pick after Marner in 2014. He's got every tool outside of size (but strength is not an issue). He's Marlie-eligible this year, and I can see him staying there for the next two years, with brief stints in the NHL on call ups. Plays a similar game to Soshnikov, but with more skill and playmaking and more development runway. He would have placed higher in my personal T25U25 list (bottom half of top 10).

Alot has happened in Leafland recently for sure, making Marner and Timashov's draft seem like ages ago, but they were in fact drafted in 2015, just to clarify.

Haha, you're right. That's what happens when I don't check my work.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2016, 10:35:45 AM »
Thank god your here Herman you are keeping this board alive thru the dog days.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2016, 10:45:52 AM »
Thank god your here Herman you are keeping this board alive thru the dog days.

Thank the board for giving me the appearance of being occupied during work =)

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2016, 10:45:52 AM »