Author Topic: Leafs could have 5 or 6 forward lines next year.  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs could have 5 or 6 forward lines next year.
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2017, 08:58:21 PM »
I guess they've invested "so much" in terms of an absolute number of picks, but that they're mid-rounders is sort of the deal, no?

Well, yes and no. Over the years they've had opportunities to add high second/low first type prospects on the wing and instead have gone with the strategy of using mid round picks on the sort of imperfect prospects you're likely to find around there.

That's more what I meant by their investment. It's that, with some exceptions, their strategy on building up on the wing is the hope that 3rd-5th liners become pretty good players as opposed to adding higher ceiling guys when they've had the opportunities to do so.

They've got 4 open spots in their top-9 (assuming Marner and Hyman stick; Brown, Leivo, and Sosh might).

Hyman - Matthews - (A)
(B) - Kadri - Marner
(B) - Nylander - (A)

For skill and scoring (A), between Brown, Leivo, Kapanen, Leipsic, Brooks, Bracco, Timashov, and Johnson, they've got a good chance of some quality top-9 wingers. As for size and grit/puck retrieval (B), they've got Rychel, Korostelev, Grundstrom, or Korshkov in the system, and, if we drop 'size,' Soshnikov... and Leipsic probably counts here too.

I think among those guys there's a fair chance that some of them turn into the sorts of players who can be fairly productive being put in the right roles.

Where I think you sort of missed the point is that I think the team is sort of lacking in the sorts of Boone Jenner/Brandon Saad/Tyler Toffoli "hey, we don't have to choose between good size and skill and rather than accepting the idea of Zach Hyman as a lifetime 1st line player we can slide someone in there who both replaces his grit/size/retrieval and upgrades the scoring punch".

I have some hope for Leipsic in that sense, I guess Grundstrom although who knows with young swedes.

Anyways, the Leafs have some A's and some B's but what they don't have, and what I think they'll need sooner or later are some A/B's. Guys who can do both.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Gilmour the Great

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2017, 01:13:58 AM »
Here are my future lines, given the following assumptions:

Hyman is overrated
Leivo is underrated

Leivo-Matthews-Brown
JVR-Nylander-Marner
Leipsic-Kadri-Kapanen
Martin-Gauthier-Hyman

What a change from invented lines in the mid aughts. That second line could be lethal.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2017, 09:53:17 AM »
Maybe just chill on the Leivo hype a bit...he's only played a handful of games.

People were ready to put Sosh on the first line a couple of weeks ago, and that seems to have cooled off.

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2017, 03:31:55 PM »
Where I think you sort of missed the point is that I think the team is sort of lacking in the sorts of Boone Jenner/Brandon Saad/Tyler Toffoli "hey, we don't have to choose between good size and skill and rather than accepting the idea of Zach Hyman as a lifetime 1st line player we can slide someone in there who both replaces his grit/size/retrieval and upgrades the scoring punch".

I have some hope for Leipsic in that sense, I guess Grundstrom although who knows with young swedes.

Anyways, the Leafs have some A's and some B's but what they don't have, and what I think they'll need sooner or later are some A/B's. Guys who can do both.

Ah, I see. I was willing to tolerate some solid Bs -- the next Komarov's or Kulemin's, 15 g/yr sorts -- given the skill level elsewhere in the forward corps. Something more like a 20-25 goal grit/retrieval guy would be great... I suspect their starting to draft bigger, over-age prospects means they've come to a similar conclusion as you've, but they seem to be over in Europe presently, so who knows what they'll end up being.

Offline McGarnagle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2017, 05:22:51 PM »
Maybe just chill on the Leivo hype a bit...he's only played a handful of games.

People were ready to put Sosh on the first line a couple of weeks ago, and that seems to have cooled off.

Yeah, recency bias is a thing. I know Komorov isn't in anyone's plans post this season, and I think that he's played often a line up from where he ideally would slot in, but I think that it's a mistake for fans to assume he could be easily replaced by shoshnikov or other players in the org.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2017, 08:36:36 AM »
I remember a few years back when someone had a huge crush on DiDomenico...can't remember who it was though.

I TOLD YOU ALL HE'D BE A STAR!!! WHO'S LAUGHING NOW

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2017, 08:43:17 AM »
I remember a few years back when someone had a huge crush on DiDomenico...can't remember who it was though.

He who hasn't played an NHL game at 28 years of age just got a one-way deal...well, good luck to him.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2017, 08:55:56 AM »

He who hasn't played an NHL game at 28 years of age just got a one-way deal...well, good luck to him.

Based on the prices on the trade market, an "overpayment" (in salary) to a very good European pro without giving up assets is probably a good choice.  I doubt he makes a difference though.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2017, 09:11:54 AM »

I just couldn't believe the timing of it. What are the odds haha.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2017, 09:18:08 AM »

I just couldn't believe the timing of it. What are the odds haha.

Yes, awesome timing indeed, and with my luck, he'll be super good and on the first line.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2017, 05:52:03 PM »
This thread has aged well ;)

LW              C              RW
  Marleau     Matthews    Nylander
    JVR           Bozak        Marner
 Komorov       Kadri         Brown
  Hyman        Moore       Kapanen
   Martin      Gauthier     Soshnikov
 Aaltonen        Fehr          Leivo
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2017, 05:52:03 PM »