Author Topic: Morgan Rielly  (Read 2818 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Morgan Rielly
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2018, 10:55:21 AM »

Rielly has 12 points.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2018, 12:47:35 PM »

Rielly has 12 points.

That tweet was at 8:07 pm, before the whole game was finished.  Hence it only saying 11 pts.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2018, 03:24:32 PM »
Thanks Burkie. And Mo's a steal at $5-mill per the next 4 years.
"I'm here for (5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline Guilt Trip

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2018, 12:52:42 AM »
Thanks Burkie. And Mo's a steal at $5-mill per the next 4 years.
Burkie sure was right with this one..

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2018, 01:03:44 AM »

Where Rielly ends up ranking among that draft class' defensemen is still a pretty interesting question. That he's better than the guys picked ahead of him seems like a safe bet. That he's better than the guys picked right after him(Lindholm, Dumba, Trouba) is still up in the air. Then there's the third rounders in the mix as well(Gostisbehere, Parayko).
-Mark Twain

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2018, 09:44:37 AM »

Where Rielly ends up ranking among that draft class' defensemen is still a pretty interesting question. That he's better than the guys picked ahead of him seems like a safe bet. That he's better than the guys picked right after him(Lindholm, Dumba, Trouba) is still up in the air. Then there's the third rounders in the mix as well(Gostisbehere, Parayko).

Depends on whats being measured, I think. Offensively speaking, hes always been a very good pseudo-forward. Defensively could be considered very meh.

His points are lighting up now because of the forwards hes getting the puck to, not necessarily that hes improved significantly.

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2018, 10:09:26 AM »

Depends on whats being measured, I think. Offensively speaking, hes always been a very good pseudo-forward. Defensively could be considered very meh.

His points are lighting up now because of the forwards hes getting the puck to, not necessarily that hes improved significantly.

I'm not sure I agree wholeheartedly. I think Rielly is playing with a new found confidence to jump up into the play and express his offensive side. The PP really is running through him even if Marner is the linchpin. 

I've always thought Rielly was good defensively, Carrick would have been more of a meh for me.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2018, 11:44:37 AM »
The way I look at it is that there were a bunch of guys taken before him that didnt pan out so it was probably tough to judge the talent at the top of this draft.  Hence the leafs were pretty lucky to get a very solid contributor.  That the leafs hit on Rielly, Marner, and Nylander and then of course, got Matthews, who looks to be significantly better than anyone expected is a huge run of luck. On the other hand, its a string of luck 4 decades in the making.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2018, 11:47:42 AM »

Yeah, he has 6 points in 5 games on the pp due entirely to its structure. Swap Rielly and Gardiner or Dermott on that #1 pp and Rielly would have 6 points (still great, but its the beginning of the season) and the other guy would have the other 6 points.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2018, 02:01:31 PM »
The way I look at it is that there were a bunch of guys taken before him that didnt pan out so it was probably tough to judge the talent at the top of this draft.  Hence the leafs were pretty lucky to get a very solid contributor.  That the leafs hit on Rielly, Marner, and Nylander and then of course, got Matthews, who looks to be significantly better than anyone expected is a huge run of luck. On the other hand, its a string of luck 4 decades in the making.

Couldn't agree more. I hate to put everything on this young group to bring home the CUP, but if they don't get the job done in the next 5-7 year window, it certainly feels like we won't see another Leafs team win the title for a long... long time.    *Stars aligned*
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 02:04:07 PM by RedLeaf »
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2018, 02:09:16 PM »

Yeah, he has 6 points in 5 games on the pp due entirely to its structure. Swap Rielly and Gardiner or Dermott on that #1 pp and Rielly would have 6 points (still great, but its the beginning of the season) and the other guy would have the other 6 points.

Heck, Nikita Zaitsev nailed a 20+ pt season spending time with Marner on the PP, so...

Counting points from defensemen as a means of comparing them needs to be filtered for Quality of Teammates, situation, and opportunity.

By no means am I saying Rielly is trash; he's a keeper and kind of perfect for the way the Leafs play if properly supported. What I am saying is that he's always been this good; it's just showing up on the scoresheet now because of who else he plays with. You'll see a huge step forward for his numbers when he gets better partners.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2018, 02:19:13 PM »
Burkie made some good points about his play, with are easy to miss with puck-moving D. I know I have, I'm sure Herman picks up on this. When he's back and has to make decisions about options A, B and C, he does them quickly and under pressure. On a regular basis, it's not just the points. If he got a massive upgrade on Hainsey, a stay-at-home stud, I'm sure he'd get even better. But hey, all 31 teams want the same thing. Gotta do the best with what you've got.
"I'm here for (5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2018, 02:33:40 PM »

I guess what's being measured here is, absent a single measurement of a player's worth, just a "All things being equal, would you take him first overall if the draft was redone".

I think we've gone over that before and, personally, I think Rielly still goes 5th in a redrafted 2012.
-Mark Twain

Offline Frycer14

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2018, 03:13:38 PM »

Yeah, I'd agree with that. He's got 6 power play points, and I'd wager a good number of those are simply from shuttling the puck over to Marner or whoever.

I think Gardiner is equally talented as a power play option, and I expect he'd have the same number of PP points if in the situation.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2018, 10:04:15 PM »

Rielly: 13 points

Rest of the Leafs D combined: 10 points
Frank was right

#ButMartyIsANHLer

TMLfans.ca