Author Topic: 2011 Toronto Raptors/NBA/Labour Negotiations Spectacular  (Read 32326 times)

Offline #1PilarFan

• Staff Writer
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Toronto Raptors/NBA/Labour Negotiations Spectacular
« Reply #390 on: August 10, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »
Will Bynum re-sign long-term in Philly?  He grew up close to Philly correct?  I read they are really taking a chance on him re-signing.
That's apparently why Orlando didn't want Bynum. With that said, Bynum will probably demand a trade/sign with the Knicks to build yet another stacked team.

For that matter, will DH?
I'd laugh long and hard if Howard forced his way out or Orlando to LA and then didn't re-sign. I imagine they must be very confident that he will.
Got an idea on improving the forum?

Check out the TMLFans Suggestion Box!

Offline #1PilarFan

• Staff Writer
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 28, 2012, 02:33:52 PM »
Haven't seen it anywhere else, so...

Harden and roster fodder to the Rockets for Lamb, Martin and 2 firsts (TO and DAL).

I imagine this is a bit of a disappointing scenario for all involved. For OKC, I'm sure they would have liked to keep that trio of Durant, Westbrook and Harden together, but Harden wanted more than they could offer. For Houston, it's a little funny to gear up all off-season for a huge move, and this is it? Don't get me wrong, Harden's a very good player and was excellent in his role with OKC, but he's inconsistent and possibly unwilling to accept the responsibilities of being the #1 guy. Not quite the same franchise changer as landing a guy like Howard. 

Simmons wrote a great article on Harden's situation shortly before he was dealt. The Harden Dilemma
Got an idea on improving the forum?

Check out the TMLFans Suggestion Box!

Offline Chev-boyar-sky

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 28, 2012, 08:15:14 PM »
Can't pretend I know a lot about basketball, but I was surprised at the return for Harden.

Martin looks at the very least like the best pure scorer in the trade (best PPG any way). Add in 2 firsts and I'm surprised that OKC did so well (not even counting Lamb).

Wasn't Doug Christie up for 6th man of the year in 97-98 with similar type numbers to Harden? Anyway I'm very surprised at the return. Thought Houston could get a better player for what they paid.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 28, 2012, 09:19:31 PM »
Can't pretend I know a lot about basketball, but I was surprised at the return for Harden.

Martin looks at the very least like the best pure scorer in the trade (best PPG any way). Add in 2 firsts and I'm surprised that OKC did so well (not even counting Lamb).

Wasn't Doug Christie up for 6th man of the year in 97-98 with similar type numbers to Harden? Anyway I'm very surprised at the return. Thought Houston could get a better player for what they paid.

A couple of things:

1. Harden is a significantly better all-around player than Martin. He's better defensively and can run an offense as opposed to Martin he's really almost exclusively a scorer.
2. For many of Harden's minutes he was his offense's third option, behind Durant and Westbrook. So while both players scored at nearly identical rates(19.4 points per 36 minutes for Martin, 19.3 points per 36 minutes for Harden) Harden scored those points while taking only 11.4 shots per 36 minutes while Martin took 15.3
3. Harden is 23, Martin is going to turn 30 in February
4. Martin is a UFA after this season.

Lamb is a good prospect but the firsts are likely to be mid-first rounders which have significantly less value in basketball than they do in hockey. It was a pretty good return but I'd rather have Harden, all in all.

edit: It's also worth mentioning that the pieces dealt with Harden have some value. All three of them are young-ish and all three were also first round picks. Aldrich, 24 and the 11th overall pick two years ago, might very well prove useful with more playing time.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:28:11 PM by Nik V. Debs »
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #393 on: October 28, 2012, 09:19:31 PM »