Author Topic: 2012 Olympics  (Read 14388 times)

Offline skippy

• Marlie
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Olympics
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2012, 08:25:36 PM »
If it weren't for Liam, Noel would have never been what he is today.  It was a combination of the two that made them both successful - Noel doesn't, and never did, have the voice or the charisma on stage to make all those songs huge the way they were.

I would disagree. Noels voice is far superior to Liams. I would agree that Liams voice does work on some songs, but for the most part, the music of Oasis would be far better if Noel took the reigns.

And charisma and trying to play the part of a jerk rock star are two different things. Charismatic he is not. But i'm sure they are/were more popular because of his attitude. People do buy into that for some reason.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2012, 08:50:27 PM »
If it weren't for Liam, Noel would have never been what he is today.  It was a combination of the two that made them both successful - Noel doesn't, and never did, have the voice or the charisma on stage to make all those songs huge the way they were.

I would disagree. Noels voice is far superior to Liams. I would agree that Liams voice does work on some songs, but for the most part, the music of Oasis would be far better if Noel took the reigns.

That's fair, everyone's particular taste in music is different, but Liam's voice was always singled out for praise by critics through the first 3 albums especially, and while they may have had some success with Noel only doing all the singing, I don't think he can carry a song like "Supersonic", their breakthrough hit in the UK, or songs like Champagne Supernova/Wonderwall that became big here.

But it's impossible for me to say - I can't un-hear Liam's singing on the songs, so whenever I hear Noel singing it, it's already a song I know and love from Liam singing it, so I can't say whether if Liam had never sung on it that it would've been better or worse.  But I know I love his voice on the albums, but fair enough if you prefer one over the other. 

I just think Liam's voice on those songs, at that moment in time, played a major factor in them becoming huge - and it extended not only from his voice, but the demeanour and yes, charisma on stage (Noel's just as big of a jerk - remember the whole telling Damon Albarn he wished he died of aids thing?), it was a package.  Noel brought the songwriting and catchy riffs, Liam brought the swagger and sneering/attitude to the vocals.  Noel's got a voice, and he can sing certain songs very well (Don't Look Back in Anger, etc), but as I said in another thread recently, I can't listen to him for a full concert try to belt out songs.  His voice just gets boring to me, and it works far better in a smaller, acoustic setting.

What was this thread about again?  ;D

Offline Justin

• Rookie
  • @justorbs
    • View Profile

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2013, 11:50:16 AM »
Yikes!

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/pistorius-involved-shooting-home-woman-dead-0

Well, I suppose that his legacy remains fundamentally unchanged. He continues to show the world that handicapped athletes can do anything regular athletes do.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2013, 12:24:53 PM »
Roses are red
Violets are glorious
Don't try and surprise
Oscar Pistorious

Offline LittleHockeyFan

• BearyBest Leaf Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • game ON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2013, 01:22:56 PM »
Roses are red
Violets are glorious
Don't try and surprise
Oscar Pistorious

LOL! you are so bad. and so good too!

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2013, 01:43:46 PM »
Yikes!

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/pistorius-involved-shooting-home-woman-dead-0

From the article:

South Africa has some of the world's highest murder rates, with nearly 50 people killed each day in the nation of 50 million. It also has high rates of rape, other assaults, robbery and carjackings.

U.N. statistics show South Africa has the second highest rate of shooting deaths in the world, second only to Colombia.

This guy Pistorius has had a history of some trouble.  Some have speculated the whole thing could have been "accidental".  Whatever and however, he'll have a lot of answering to do. 

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:45:39 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 15, 2013, 11:21:03 AM »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2013, 04:13:33 AM »
New evidence suggests connotations of a possible argument between Pistorius & Steenkamp over her relationship with a South African rugby star.

Not only was Steenkamp shot multiple times but she had been beaten with what investigators believe was a bloodied cricket bat found at the home of Pistorius.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/02/18/oscar-pistorius-reeva-steenkamp/

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2013, 04:13:33 AM »