Author Topic: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion  (Read 57885 times)

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion
« Reply #495 on: December 12, 2017, 05:51:23 PM »
While I agree with all that is being said, and really I don't enjoy the way the team is playing, let's not forget that Toronto had about 4 wide open missed opportunities in that Edmonton game that could of made it a run and gun game like earlier in the season.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 12, 2017, 06:47:25 PM »
Who's beard game will be solid if we advance past the second round?
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 12, 2017, 07:33:13 PM »

This is actually pretty interesting.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 12, 2017, 08:10:03 PM »
Incoming conditioning stint in 5... 4...

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 13, 2017, 12:31:20 AM »
Komarov has had just 1 game in the past 15 where his CF% was over 50%. And that was against Arizona and they're barely a NHL team. Basically ditto for Kadri, although he squeaked past 50% in one extra game by a single shot attempt. Komarov's at 38.2% in possession in his last 15 games and Kadri's at 41.6%. Kadri has 4 5-on-5 points in those games, Komarov has 0. Those are brutal numbers.

This is a crazy idea, I know, but maybe try not playing them together?

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 13, 2017, 08:26:16 AM »
Honestly, I would trade Komarov and slot Leivo or Kapanen there.  I know we're going for it, but he just doesn't seem to be contributing a whole lot this year.  Try to make something off him and put in a hungry young guy.

Edit: and I would same the same for Bozak.  Keep JvR for the run.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 13, 2017, 09:46:32 AM »
Honestly, I would trade Komarov and slot Leivo or Kapanen there.  I know we're going for it, but he just doesn't seem to be contributing a whole lot this year.  Try to make something off him and put in a hungry young guy.

At this point there's no reason we shouldn't be running a Martin-Moore-Komarov 4th line. He deserves to be there. I wouldn't have wanted to do that earlier because it nerfs his trade value but he's doing that all on his own with his play. Even with Matthews out I'd still run that line and try Kapanen or Leivo in the top-9.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 13, 2017, 09:57:59 AM »
Leivo looked more assertive last night than his previous handful of games.

Komarov has really only been useful on the PK (his 5-on-3 coverage was smart).

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 13, 2017, 09:59:35 AM »
Your point about the leads is a good one.

Playing safe on the lead generally leads to a lot more chances against (we are seeing it). Getting better at playing possession style is better defense in my opinion. But if the team sucks at playing the possession style with the lead, there isnt much point in sticking with it.

Aaaaannnnddddd... I totally jinxed them.  No 3rd period blown leads (leading to a L) prior to last night, I bring it up, and they get their first one!

I completely agree with you that they need to play a more possession style game with the lead.  However, I don't want it coming with too many high-risk plays in the NZ either.  It feels like they dump-and-barely-chase a lot.  Brown and JvR said as much in their comments after the game, they need to get in there, win a battle, and establish a cycle.

Certain lines should be able to generate more of a cycle game (not sure the Bozak line would be all that great at it), but they are just dumping it and having the opposition come out of their end rather quickly alot.  Sure it limits rush chances against since they have to come through the whole team, but they end up in their own zone a ton because of it.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 13, 2017, 10:07:02 AM »

At this point there's no reason we shouldn't be running a Martin-Moore-Komarov 4th line. He deserves to be there. I wouldn't have wanted to do that earlier because it nerfs his trade value but he's doing that all on his own with his play. Even with Matthews out I'd still run that line and try Kapanen or Leivo in the top-9.

Yeah, I've pushed the "I want the best defensive forward on the shutdown line" for a while but I'm no longer in that boat anymore. 

He needs to start on the 4th line, and be used higher up in the lineup in high-leverage defensive situations (ie, late in a game with the lead, defensive zone draws)

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 13, 2017, 04:19:37 PM »
Komarov has had just 1 game in the past 15 where his CF% was over 50%. And that was against Arizona and they're barely a NHL team. Basically ditto for Kadri, although he squeaked past 50% in one extra game by a single shot attempt. Komarov's at 38.2% in possession in his last 15 games and Kadri's at 41.6%. Kadri has 4 5-on-5 points in those games, Komarov has 0. Those are brutal numbers.

I understand the whole "Kadri's our shutdown center and future Selke-winner" talk, but he's also probably the most versatile offensive player on the team. I'd like to see Marleau-Kadri-Marner/Brown. Still defensively responsible, but with enough offensive talent to make stuff happen.

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 13, 2017, 04:39:00 PM »

I understand the whole "Kadri's our shutdown center and future Selke-winner" talk, but he's also probably the most versatile offensive player on the team. I'd like to see Marleau-Kadri-Marner/Brown. Still defensively responsible, but with enough offensive talent to make stuff happen.

And it's not like Komarov wouldn't get any ice-time if he's demoted to the fourth line, given his value on the PK and the way Babcock plays the fourth line.

Having him on the second/first line absolutely torpedoes the offence of that line (to an astounding extent really - how can you go 30+ games without accidentally getting a primary assist?), so there's no justification for keeping him there.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 13, 2017, 06:37:38 PM »

MLSE is buying the Argos, news which is a bit surprising as I'd really thought they bought them a few years ago.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 13, 2017, 06:41:18 PM »

MLSE is buying the Argos, news which is a bit surprising as I'd really thought they bought them a few years ago.
Man I just posted on this a minute ago on Rumours thread, how strange. Thanks Nik for the update. Wonder when the Jays will come into the fold.
For the Argos this is exactly what the CFL or soon to be NFL needs.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 13, 2017, 10:57:41 PM »
Lads had their skate today downtown St. Paul organized by Gardiner's dad. In case you're wondering the two netminders are local HS students.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzErF133rw0
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 10:59:37 PM by disco »
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #509 on: December 13, 2017, 10:57:41 PM »