Author Topic: Media Thread  (Read 27301 times)

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Media Thread
« Reply #255 on: April 18, 2017, 12:45:11 AM »
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 21, 2017, 02:59:24 PM »
Looks like Leafs Lunch is getting a bit of a shuffle. No more poop emoji.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 21, 2017, 03:19:50 PM »

?? Please elborate.  :)
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares Drew Doughty

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 21, 2017, 03:21:47 PM »

?? Please elborate.  :)

Is Patrick O'Sullivan bumped?  I've heard rumblings and he hasn't been on the show the last few episodes.

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 21, 2017, 03:41:54 PM »
There's a bit of smoke in the air at the moment.

On the 18th, POS blew up on air, belittling Andi (more than usual), the Leafs, fans, any differences of opinion, and literally invited them to not tune in (which I'd imagine is the opposite of what you want in media).

That night, his Twitter bio was edited to remove TSN employment reference. He hasn't been on Leafs Lunch since.

Today, Andi mentioned the 'new guy' starts next Friday or something like that (I'm getting this second hand).

Then there's this:
www.twitter.com/JeffVeillette/status/855462745222905857

where @yyzsportsmedia's response is "details forthcoming".

More likely reason: Babcock went to Lou to defend Hyman's honour, and Lou took care of business as usual.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 21, 2017, 03:47:04 PM »

On the 18th, POS blew up on air, belittling Andi (more than usual), the Leafs, fans, any differences of opinion, and literally invited them to not tune in (which I'd imagine is the opposite of what you want in media).

That night, his Twitter bio was edited to remove TSN employment reference. He hasn't been on Leafs Lunch since.

Today, Andi mentioned the 'new guy' starts next Friday or something like that (I'm getting this second hand).

Then there's this:

More likely reason: Babcock went to Lou to defend Hyman's honour, and Lou took care of business as usual.

I don't mine someone on radio who provides a different opinion and isn't just a Leafs fan that will praise anything they do, but O'Sullivan was very difficult to listen to at times.  I think Overdrive has the right mix of objective views...Hayes is the most fanboy of the 3, but he'll criticize the Leafs when it's warranted.  O'Neill is a fan too but he gets disillusioned quickly when things go wrong and Noodles is the most objective and gives other players who aren't Leafs props all the time.   That being said they all have a good rapport together and the show runs smoothly.  On Leafs lunch, POS was just confrontational alot of the time, complaining about fans, and also got snippy with Andi on occasion, it was just not pleasant to listen to.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 21, 2017, 03:56:00 PM »
Good riddance. I can't recall anybody in the hockey media to ever do the type of 180 he did in terms of his general demeanour and how he interacts with fans in such a small amount of time before.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 21, 2017, 04:09:30 PM »

Then there's this:

I don't mine someone on radio who provides a different opinion and isn't just a Leafs fan that will praise anything they do, but O'Sullivan was very difficult to listen to at times.  I think Overdrive has the right mix of objective views...Hayes is the most fanboy of the 3, but he'll criticize the Leafs when it's warranted.  O'Neill is a fan too but he gets disillusioned quickly when things go wrong and Noodles is the most objective and gives other players who aren't Leafs props all the time.   That being said they all have a good rapport together and the show runs smoothly.  On Leafs lunch, POS was just confrontational alot of the time, complaining about fans, and also got snippy with Andi on occasion, it was just not pleasant to listen to.
x2 I enjoy intelligent and opinionated, but good natured.
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 21, 2017, 09:24:59 PM »

Then there's this:

You should be careful.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 22, 2017, 04:29:28 PM »
"See you in a couple days."

Mike Babcock said this to every staff-member at Verizon Center as he walked to the team bus.

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 26, 2017, 01:49:36 PM »
ESPN axed pretty much everyone, including their Bob McKenzie-lite, LeBrun.

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 26, 2017, 02:07:06 PM »
ESPN axed pretty much everyone, including their Bob McKenzie-lite, LeBrun.
Not just hockey guys too, across all sports.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 26, 2017, 04:12:24 PM »
Media is changing so rapidly now. As a print guy, I see my client base evaporating, and the strange thing is although we have great social media, no one really wants to pay the price for it.
For a company like ESPN to cut 100 top people that is saying something. 
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 26, 2017, 04:58:24 PM »
Media is changing so rapidly now. As a print guy, I see my client base evaporating, and the strange thing is although we have great social media, no one really wants to pay the price for it.
For a company like ESPN to cut 100 top people that is saying something.

So long as people expect to get professional content for free on the Web, it's a losing fight. 

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 26, 2017, 05:39:39 PM »

This isn't about people not going to espn.com to read Lebrun or the other low-salaried beat reporters they let go, this is just an opening salvo in the very real problem with how broadcast rights have been overvalued. ESPN is in a bind because people are cutting off cable subscriptions while still being obligated to pay leagues billions of dollars.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #269 on: April 26, 2017, 05:39:39 PM »