Author Topic: Phaneuf being shopped  (Read 16369 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Phaneuf being shopped
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 08:07:32 AM »
So Shanahan apparently disagrees with the 2nd biggest decision Nonis made as Leafs GM but he trusts him enough to let him go out and fix that mistake.

edit: If this is all true then it should answer any questions to as to who is making the hockey decisions here.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:17:13 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 08:11:28 AM »
Dreger, FWIW:

@Hope_Smoke

Dreger "the Leafs aren't shopping Phaneuf. Nonis told me yesterday, the Leafs will move him but aren't shopping him."

Hope_Smoke

Dreger "that's Nonis' philosophy and always has been. He'll move anyone if the price is right."

@Hope_Smoke

Dreger "We get caught up in semantics. Leafs aren't shopping Gardiner and Kadri either, but teams know they're listening. Dion's the same"

@Hope_Smoke

Dreger "Nonis told me yesterday that the Leafs haven't discussed Phaneuf with anyone since the last trade deadline"

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 08:12:30 AM »
Dreger needs to stop calling his sock-puppet "Nonis".

Offline Boston Leaf

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 08:45:47 AM »
even though I am not anti Dion at all with that contract and his reputation I think that there will be zero market for him regardless
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:08:28 AM by Boston Leaf »

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 09:01:53 AM »
He shouldn't be difficult to move if they wanted to, his deal isn't outrageous.

Offline Big Daddy

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 09:04:21 AM »
Phaneuf being traded to SJ for the right to negotiate with Thornton and Boyle

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 09:11:39 AM »
Phaneuf being traded to SJ for the right to negotiate with Thornton and Boyle

On the off chance that this is not just a joke, I'm fairly certain you can't negotiate with a player who has a contract.  Or I guess you could do it, only pointlessly.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 09:22:59 AM »
He shouldn't be difficult to move if they wanted to, his deal isn't outrageous.

His no-trade clause won't kick in until July 1st too, so there's nothing stopping Nonis from dealing him to Edmonton or Winnipeg.

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 09:40:27 AM »
I do not like the sounds of retaining $1 to $1.5 million in a potential deal.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 10:02:24 AM »
His no-trade clause won't kick in until July 1st too, so there's nothing stopping Nonis from dealing him to Edmonton or Winnipeg.

Under the current CBA, NTCs can come into effect the moment the extension is signed, and I'm pretty sure that's the situation with Phaneuf.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 10:08:01 AM »
So Shanahan apparently disagrees with the 2nd biggest decision Nonis made as Leafs GM but he trusts him enough to let him go out and fix that mistake.

edit: If this is all true then it should answer any questions to as to who is making the hockey decisions here.
From Mirtle-Phaneuf has more value signed than as a pending UFA, so I'm not sure you can rip the fact the Leafs locked him up. That helps a trade.

"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline pmrules

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »
Semantics aside of whether he is being "shopped" or "available" (like everyone on this team should be), I am of the opinion we should focus on obtaining a worthy partner for Phaneuf by bringing in another 1st pairing defenseman to help him out...maybe even drop Phaneuf to #2 status if possible. 

Offline Kaberle15

• Veteran
  • They Did it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2014, 10:55:26 AM »
How could trading the best defense men be a step forward?  Who are you going to trade him for that is better?
Is Gunnarsson been shopped?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:03:49 AM by Gardiner51 »
A.K.A Gardiner51, Changed back to Kaberle15 now that he is retired.

Offline hap_leaf

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 11:12:02 AM »
The ability to do those things, the ability to turn up nuggets of gold in unlikely methods in addition to drafting at the top of the draft is how teams speed up that process. 7 years may be a fair benchmark for a rebuilding team reaching their full potential but a base built by superstars at the top of the draft and augmented in other ways does not take 7 years to become an entertaining playoff team or even a contender.

For sure, the Av's turned it around in a big hurry via the draft: MacKinnon (1), Landeskog (2), Duchene (3), O'Reilly (33) and of course Stastny (44).
From 39 points in 48 games last year to 112 points in 82 games this year, its one of the most remarkable turnarounds ever. 
So I think in some ways you are cherry picking the teams in your examples as having to have won the Cup in recent years.  Plenty of teams have improved after having done well in the draft for successive years but just haven't put it all together for the ultimate prize.
As you rightly point out it doesn't have to be a top 10 pick to make a huge impact.  Look at Palat (208) leading Tampa in scoring this year.

I would say Pittsburgh, Colorado, Tampa, Chicago (today's Chicago, not necessarily the Thomas-era Chicago) and Anaheim can say their level of success is directly due to great successive draft choices.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 11:40:03 AM »
For sure, the Av's turned it around in a big hurry via the draft: MacKinnon (1), Landeskog (2), Duchene (3), O'Reilly (33) and of course Stastny (44).

Although there's still no defensemen on the list and the single biggest factor in the turn-around, goaltending, had nothing at all to do with the draft. Regardless, that teams can turn it around quickly with a few years of high draft picks is the point I'm making in response to the suggestion that a full scale rebuild takes 7 years to complete. The Avs only went 3 seasons between playoff appearances.

So I think in some ways you are cherry picking the teams in your examples as having to have won the Cup in recent years.

If I'm using winning the cup as the aim then I'm kind of limited to cup winners in my evaluation, unfortunately

Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 11:40:03 AM »