Author Topic: Frederik Andersen  (Read 9848 times)

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Frederik Andersen
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 12:07:15 PM »
Whether he keeps it up or falls back somewhere in the middle, i think it's clear he's a legitimate starter in this league.  We haven't had that assurance since Belfour.

(But a hat-tip to the Monster last night ... he's settled in as a pretty good backup.)

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 12:28:06 PM »
Yeah, read the article. It explains everything. Gone are the rush out challenges into the white ice where he's still moving. He stops and sets now at the top of the blue ice and waits. It's like night and day.
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 12:31:56 PM »
I guess we have to admit, Lou knows good goaltenders
If the deal to bring Andersen to the Leafs is Lou's biggest contribution as Leaf GM when he retires in a year or two and highlights his legacy as Leafs GM, it may have been worth his hiring alone. Of course that all depends on how well Freddie does long term in Toronto. But right now, Lou (and whoever else was involved in that deal) are looking like a geniuses.

It's early still.  Andersen wasn't as bad as he looked in the first couple of weeks and he's probably not as good as he currently is playing.  I hope I'm wrong and he continues to play great, but I suspect he'll be somewhere in the middle of the two extremes.

Normally I'd agree with that line of thinking, but there were pretty good reasons why he played poorly to start the season. He came to camp injured and didn't have a full camp. He was starting with a new team and new coach with new systems in front of him. Sure he may be playing above the bar a little now , but I think it's much closer to what he'll be than what the start of the season would indicate.

All valid points to his slow start, I didn't give the injury and the new environment enough weight.  Still though, his November numbers would put him as a top 10 goalie in the league, not sure if he's that good.  I hope he is :)

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 11:49:36 PM »
I guess we have to admit, Lou knows good goaltenders
If the deal to bring Andersen to the Leafs is Lou's biggest contribution as Leaf GM when he retires in a year or two and highlights his legacy as Leafs GM, it may have been worth his hiring alone. Of course that all depends on how well Freddie does long term in Toronto. But right now, Lou (and whoever else was involved in that deal) are looking like a geniuses.

It's early still.  Andersen wasn't as bad as he looked in the first couple of weeks and he's probably not as good as he currently is playing.  I hope I'm wrong and he continues to play great, but I suspect he'll be somewhere in the middle of the two extremes.

Normally I'd agree with that line of thinking, but there were pretty good reasons why he played poorly to start the season. He came to camp injured and didn't have a full camp. He was starting with a new team and new coach with new systems in front of him. Sure he may be playing above the bar a little now , but I think it's much closer to what he'll be than what the start of the season would indicate.

All valid points to his slow start, I didn't give the injury and the new environment enough weight.  Still though, his November numbers would put him as a top 10 goalie in the league, not sure if he's that good.  I hope he is :)

So do I!  ;)
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 08:10:08 AM »

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 10:51:05 AM »
Frederik has been great since his early games, one wonders if Sparks or Bibeau could have done a better job than Enroth. Not to impressed with him
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 10:54:44 AM »
Frederik has been great since his early games, one wonders if Sparks or Bibeau could have done a better job than Enroth. Not to impressed with him

I had higher hopes for Enroth.   Buffalo had to trade him away that McDavid draft year because he was playing too well and keeping Buffalo in games, he's not what he once was.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2016, 11:09:48 AM »

Bibeau isn't even putting up good numbers in the AHL.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 11:14:04 AM »
Enroth has only played the number of games it took for Andersen to start turning his game around after a slow start. I won't write him off just yet.

And even if he continues to not be great, better draft pick.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 01:37:42 PM »
Enroth has only played the number of games it took for Andersen to start turning his game around after a slow start. I won't write him off just yet.

And even if he continues to not be great, better draft pick.

The problem is the games are spread out.  When Andersen worked through his issues he got to start every 2nd or 3rd day.  Enroth gets in there once a week if that.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 01:49:25 PM »
The problem is the games are spread out.  When Andersen worked through his issues he got to start every 2nd or 3rd day.  Enroth gets in there once a week if that.

I don't think that fundamentally changes the point which is that it's a very small sample size and Enroth has proven himself to be relatively competent backup in the past. Provided the expectations for him are realistic there's really no need to jump to any conclusion on him yet.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline wnc096

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2016, 03:51:08 PM »

I had higher hopes for Enroth.   Buffalo had to trade him away that McDavid draft year because he was playing too well and keeping Buffalo in games, he's not what he once was.

I was at the game last night behind the net...Enroth looks like a child in net...he is so small.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 04:38:29 PM »

I was at the game last night behind the net...Enroth looks like a child in net...he is so small.

Aw, sorry you got that one instead of the Edmonton performance dude. That's pro sports man.
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline wnc096

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2016, 05:08:43 PM »

Aw, sorry you got that one instead of the Edmonton performance dude. That's pro sports man.

Calgary has been a graveyard for the Leafs...they've won here like once in the last 10 years

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2016, 05:08:43 PM »