Author Topic: Series Thread:. Eastern Conference Final. Ottawa @ Pittsburgh  (Read 2272 times)

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Series Thread:. Eastern Conference Final. Ottawa @ Pittsburgh
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 11:24:26 AM »
Man, I'm going to have to put up with a whole year of Sens are Stanley Cup winners talk.  I mean, if the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't want anyone taking anything away from the Leafs if they were doing this.  Hard not to get jealous of the Sens success sometimes.  Melnyk doesn't help matters either, as he seems like the type who likes to twist the knife.
I keep waiting for the wheels to fall off but they don't... I don't want to hear it from Sens fans either. I want them to loose, Canada's team my a@$. I want a Karlsson too!
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 04:32:50 PM »
I wouldn't mind if Ottawa wins the Cup.  It'll fit into the narrative of #bring back Stanley.  It'll be Canada's 150th birthday soon, so it'll be quite fitting for a Canadian-based team to win the Cup this year.  Not saying it will happen, but there's every possibility for for Ottawa to vault to the Cup Final if they take this series.

I wish the Leafs would have been that team (*sigh*)

Also, I personally don't believe that, should Ottawa be in the Cup Final, that they would have the capability to beat Nashville or Anaheim.  They are not teams decimated by injuries the way Pittsburgh has been.

Whether Pittsburgh ot Ottawa, neither of the two will beat Nashville or even Anaheim for Stanley.  Highly doubtful.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:35:31 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 01:53:46 AM »
Penguins 3  Senators 2   Series tied at 2 games apiece.

Memo to the Ottawa Senators:  never underestimate the power of Sidney Crosby.

That's right.  The great #87 had a goal and assist and set the tone of the game for his Pittsburgh Penguins.  When Crosby's on the prowl, look out.

Though the Penguins had a 3-1 lead going into the third period,  the Senators were not done yet as Ottawa scored to narrow Pittsburgh's lead but well, fell short of rhe mark in attempting to tie it up.  For that, Pittsburgh can thank their goaltender Matt Murray, who started in place of Fleury.  Murray was nothing short of brilliant making several key saves and preserving the win.

With Pittsburgh (some would say Crosby) coming to life in winning Game 4, it makes the series all the more interesting and in a way inpredictable, especially knowing Ottawa's penchant for coming back to win when the stakes have been on the line in these playoffs.

Game story:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/penguins-fend-off-late-senators-surge-even-east-final-2-2/
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 02:02:49 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 04:50:53 PM »
The talk of Pittsburgh being finished a couple games ago may have been premature.

5-0 Pens late in the 2nd of game 5.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 05:59:54 PM »
The talk of Pittsburgh being finished a couple games ago may have been premature.

Just a little. Ottawa poked the bear in Game 3. The Pens are fully awake now.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 11:02:08 AM »

Just a little. Ottawa poked the bear in Game 3. The Pens are fully awake now.

Yeah we'll see what happens in Game 6.  It seems that in this playoffs that teams that are marked for death, seem to get up off the mat.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 11:13:35 AM »
Yeah we'll see what happens in Game 6.  It seems that in this playoffs that teams that are marked for death, seem to get up off the mat.

Nah. They're done. Karlsson single handily carried them through the first 2 rounds, but his injuries seem to have finally slowed him down.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 11:22:20 AM »

Nah. They're done. Karlsson single handily carried them through the first 2 rounds, but his injuries seem to have finally slowed him down.

People thought they were done after the Rangers outscored them 8 - 2 in round two.  They seemed to bounce back from that.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 11:31:48 AM »

People thought they were done after the Rangers outscored them 8 - 2 in round two.  They seemed to bounce back from that.

Just so you know, a reverse jinx isn't a real thing.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 11:34:01 AM »

Just so you know, a reverse jinx isn't a real thing.

I understand.  I try and call a spade a spade.  If you can't explain how a team got to a certain point to begin with, then it's hard to explain how you feel that "this is the time they finally go over the brink".   

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 11:50:28 AM »
I understand.  I try and call a spade a spade.  If you can't explain how a team got to a certain point to begin with, then it's hard to explain how you feel that "this is the time they finally go over the brink".

I don't think there's anything particularly strange about the Sens getting to where they have unless you think the New York Rangers were some sort of unstoppable juggernaut. Karlsson's been terrific, sure, and they've had some unsustainable OT luck(6-1) but all they've done is beaten a Boston team they were favored against and pulled off a pretty minor upset in New York with an undeserved home ice advantage.

Keep in mind, even if you think that the Senators are as good a team as the Penguins the odds of a coin flip coming up the same two times in a row are 3-1 against. It's not impossible but they're facing pretty steep odds right about now.
-Mark Twain

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 12:16:53 PM »

I don't think there's anything particularly strange about the Sens getting to where they have unless you think the New York Rangers were some sort of unstoppable juggernaut. Karlsson's been terrific, sure, and they've had some unsustainable OT luck(6-1) but all they've done is beaten a Boston team they were favored against and pulled off a pretty minor upset in New York with an undeserved home ice advantage.

Keep in mind, even if you think that the Senators are as good a team as the Penguins the odds of a coin flip coming up the same two times in a row are 3-1 against. It's not impossible but they're facing pretty steep odds right about now.

So the problem I have with that is that in their history the Sens have been down 3-2 5 times and failed to win a series in any of those situations.  At some point they have to win a series when in that position.  There are factors that go in to that, but there are also factors that go in to the coin flip as well. 

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 12:30:02 PM »
So the problem I have with that is that in their history the Sens have been down 3-2 5 times and failed to win a series in any of those situations.  At some point they have to win a series when in that position.

They actually don't and, more to the point, the accumulation of those losses doesn't mean anything.

There are factors that go in to that, but there are also factors that go in to the coin flip as well.

Not really. The coin flip there is a stand-in for the concept of completely random chance. If games were determined by that the Sens would still only have a 1 in 4 chance. To advance, the Senators have to win two straight games against a better team, including once on the road.

So whether by random chance or a realistic read of the situation the odds are against them. The only thing saying otherwise is de facto mysticism. It's not impossible or anything but odds are what they are.
-Mark Twain

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 01:35:39 PM »
Wingels isn't getting a suspension for a late elbow to the head.  The 6 team NHL is going to be great when they get destroyed in their concussion lawsuits.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 06:34:17 PM »

Brutal.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 06:34:17 PM »