Author Topic: Series thread: Pittsburgh vs Washington  (Read 2853 times)

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Series thread: Pittsburgh vs Washington
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 12:17:17 PM »
I known Niskanen knows where his stick and the best player on the ice are pretty much at all times, but I still wouldn't say he cross-checked Crosby with malicious intent. Looked more like a protective block/catch to prevent his own organs from being caved in. I'm okay with no further supplemental discipline.

Even Ovechkin's slew foot is more incidental than malicious.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 12:42:56 PM »
I known Niskanen knows where his stick and the best player on the ice are pretty much at all times, but I still wouldn't say he cross-checked Crosby with malicious intent. Looked more like a protective block/catch to prevent his own organs from being caved in. I'm okay with no further supplemental discipline.

Yeah. The whole thing is basically a sequence of unfortunate events that compounded on each other. Really, the only intentional act was Ovechkin's initial slash. Everything else was either circumstantial or reactionary.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 01:38:45 PM »

Crosby officially has a concussion.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 02:02:51 PM »

God I hope this doesn't mean a shortened career for him.

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 02:34:15 PM »

Yeah. The whole thing is basically a sequence of unfortunate events that compounded on each other. Really, the only intentional act was Ovechkin's initial slash. Everything else was either circumstantial or reactionary.

Ovechkin's slash which led to the whole series of consequences that ensued.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 02:46:23 PM »
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/rossi-ovechkin-should-be-suspended-for-slash-on-crosby~1113591
http://www.upgruv.com/ovechkin-niskanen-crosby-injury-nhl-2388421629.html

Funny, I don't remember this vitriol when Crosby speared a guy in the junk and blew another players finger up.

I'm all for discipline, and for making sure that players are safe, but Crosby's no angel who has gotten away with a couple of egregious acts himself.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 02:56:44 PM »
Apparently, someone has taken note of Ovie's slash.  The incident certainly wawn't lost on former Edmonton Oilers great Paul Coffey who had this to say about it:

"The thing everbody's overlooking -- and we'll never know because Sid got hit twice -- is the two-hander he took to the head and the neck from Ovechkin", Coffey told The Starting Line on Sportsnet 590 The FAN Tuesday.

"When Crosby was falling down, that could have been the initial blow that hurt him.  Nobody knows and nobody's talking about that. That was a brutal two-hander by Ovechkin to Crosby when he was going to the net."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sidney-crosby-matt-niskanen-alex-ovechkin-paul-coffey-hit-cross-check-penguins-capitals/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:58:53 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 03:20:51 PM »

This sucks.

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 03:38:02 PM »
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/rossi-ovechkin-should-be-suspended-for-slash-on-crosby~1113591

Funny, I don't remember this vitriol when Crosby speared a guy in the junk and blew another players finger up.

I'm all for discipline, and for making sure that players are safe, but Crosby's no angel who has gotten away with a couple of egregious acts himself.

There was plenty.

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 03:43:23 PM »
I don't buy that Niskanen hit him that way unintentionally.  Crosby was already falling down and Niskanen could have fended him off lower down or by grabbing him rather than put his stick up at jaw level.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2017, 03:55:29 PM »
I don't buy that Niskanen hit him that way unintentionally.  Crosby was already falling down and Niskanen could have fended him off lower down or by grabbing him rather than put his stick up at jaw level.

I don't buy it either. Even if that is his defence what happened to being in control of your stick at all times? It was a long time ago, but Wade Belak got suspended 8 games once for falling. I honestly can't believe Niskanen doesn't get any supplemental discipline for causing a concussion by cross-checking a player in the head. Whether it was on purpose or not, that's what he did.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 03:56:06 PM »

When I watch it in real time, it really looks reactionary. He puts his hands up to protect himself more than anything else. They just end up at head level for Crosby, unfortunately.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 06:49:42 PM »

There was plenty.

Not from Rob Rossi.   The problem I have is that these champions for justice only show up when it happens to their player.  At some point a step back needs to be taken.  If it happens to your team and you don't like it, then it isn't good if it happens to the other team either.  As fans we can't have it both ways.  If what happened last night is a suspendable offense, then so were the acts that Crosby committed in the last couple of weeks of the season.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Series thread: Pittsburgh vs Washington
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 09:44:09 PM »

There was plenty.

Not from Rob Rossi.   The problem I have is that these champions for justice only show up when it happens to their player.  At some point a step back needs to be taken.  If it happens to your team and you don't like it, then it isn't good if it happens to the other team either.  As fans we can't have it both ways.  If what happened last night is a suspendable offense, then so were the acts that Crosby committed in the last couple of weeks of the season.

Oh I agree. I'm no big fan of Sid nor of double standards where Sid is concerned.

TMLfans.ca

Series thread: Pittsburgh vs Washington
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 09:44:09 PM »