Author Topic: Your TML Rebuild Plan  (Read 11351 times)

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Your TML Rebuild Plan
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2016, 10:14:18 AM »
2. Timothy Liljegren: Elite defenceman who can impact the game everywhere on the ice. Smarts and vision that is reserved for the very few. Outstanding skater in every regard and uses it to gain advantages defensively and offensively. Puck play is excellent and can thread the needle with a pass or a shot. Has a game reminiscent of Drew Doughty with a splash of Erik Karlsson.

God I hate prospect-player comparisons.

Button needs to temper his expectations.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2016, 10:16:45 AM »
2. Timothy Liljegren: Elite defenceman who can impact the game everywhere on the ice. Smarts and vision that is reserved for the very few. Outstanding skater in every regard and uses it to gain advantages defensively and offensively. Puck play is excellent and can thread the needle with a pass or a shot. Has a game reminiscent of Drew Doughty with a splash of Erik Karlsson.

So I shouldn't describe Laine as the speed and power of Mario Lemieux combined with skill and grace of Wayne Gretzky?
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2016, 10:31:13 AM »

So I shouldn't describe Laine as the speed and power of Mario Lemieux combined with skill and grace of Wayne Gretzky?

Don't forget the leadership qualities of Messier, and the intimidation factor of Chara.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2016, 11:04:33 AM »

Yeah. I mean, when you take them for what they're really meant as - which is stylistic comparisons - they're tolerable. The problem is so many people take them to mean that player has an equivalent ceiling to the guys they're being compared to, and that . . . well, just ugh.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2016, 11:07:57 AM »

All that said, he sounds like a heck of a prospect and potentially just the sort of perfect addition to the team's prospect base.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2016, 11:10:38 AM »
Yeah. I mean, when you take them for what they're really meant as - which is stylistic comparisons - they're tolerable. The problem is so many people take them to mean that player has an equivalent ceiling to the guys they're being compared to, and that . . . well, just ugh.

It's a problem that I'm having with the Matthews-Kopitar comparisons too. None of this is a knock on Matthews of course, I just think people might be setting themselves up for disappointment if they're comparing him to Kopitar. That or people don't quite understand how dominant of a scoring/possession/two-way centre Anze is.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »
I wish we drafted Noah Hanifin at the time and especially in hind sight. Would trade them today if we could Hanifin for Marner. We need d-man. I am afraid of following the EDM template.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2016, 11:13:45 AM »

The guys on the FAN590 were comparing him to Ovie this morning calling him the next Ovie.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2016, 11:14:48 AM »

It's a problem that I'm having with the Matthews-Kopitar comparisons too. None of this is a knock on Matthews of course, I just think people might be setting themselves up for disappointment if they're comparing him to Kopitar. That or people don't quite understand how dominant of a scoring/possession/two-way centre Anze is.

Maybe but I think that if Matthews doesn't become roughly the same level of player that people would be disappointed regardless of what comparisons get made.
-Mark Twain

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2016, 11:19:08 AM »
I wish we drafted Noah Hanifin at the time and especially in hind sight. Would trade them today if we could Hanifin for Marner. We need d-man. I am afraid of following the EDM template.

The Leafs already have a young, talented defenseman they drafted in the top 5. That's something the Oilers never did and he's older than Marner/Matthews/Nylander so he's more likely to line up his prime with theirs.

The Oilers problem wasn't really that they didn't draft defensemen, it's that they drafted bad ones.
-Mark Twain

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2016, 11:51:53 AM »
The Leafs already have a young, talented defenseman they drafted in the top 5. That's something the Oilers never did and he's older than Marner/Matthews/Nylander so he's more likely to line up his prime with theirs.

The Oilers problem wasn't really that they didn't draft defensemen, it's that they drafted bad ones.

And, really, just that they drafted poorly in general when picking outside the top 10.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2016, 12:02:17 PM »

And, really, just that they drafted poorly in general when picking outside the top 10.

Well, relatively speaking, they didn't really do a great job of drafting inside the top 10 either.
-Mark Twain

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2016, 12:10:39 PM »

I think they made some mistakes with their 1st overall picks too!

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2016, 03:06:58 PM »
In the unlikely event that the Leafs don't sign Stamkos (I know, it's ridiculous to think that they won't), it might be interesting to take a run at Eric Staal for a 1 year deal for too much money, just to flog him at the deadline.

Not sure he'd be up for that, but after last season, he might need a show-me year to get a decent longer term deal.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2016, 03:12:09 PM »
In the unlikely event that the Leafs don't sign Stamkos (I know, it's ridiculous to think that they won't), it might be interesting to take a run at Eric Staal for a 1 year deal for too much money, just to flog him at the deadline.

Not sure he'd be up for that, but after last season, he might need a show-me year to get a decent longer term deal.

I don't think he'd be up for a deadline flogging.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2016, 03:12:09 PM »