Author Topic: Dave Bolland  (Read 52084 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Dave Bolland
« Reply #750 on: June 27, 2014, 10:31:15 AM »
Awww man!!!! Ten Five more years of this.  That really sucks.

If it makes you feel any better, there's really no guarantee that things improve after those five years so you might as well enjoy things as you can.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 27, 2014, 02:54:56 PM »

If it makes you feel any better, there's really no guarantee that things improve after those five years so you might as well enjoy things as you can.

It's funny, but for all the talk of parity in the league, once you get stuck in a rut in the NHL, you are really stuck in a rut.  You look at the number of teams that have had lengthy dry spells when it comes to playoff appearances, and it is really really hard to build your team to be competitive any other way than through the draft. 

Free agency is gone.  Most teams lock up their assets long term so they don't hit the market.  Trades don't really exist because in order to lock up an asset long term you have to provide them with a no trade or no movement clause, so if they are traded, they get to pick where.  The NHL has effectively removed two tools that GM's can use to improve their teams.

If you need to restructure your team, you can't.  About all you can do is hold a fire sale, and wait the 5 - 10 years for the draft picks to pay off (see Oilers) and hope that you are set up for the next 10 years.  Turning a team around quickly just doesn't happen any more.  And if you screw up the draft, then you are going to be even longer before you get back to a level of respectability where people consider your team a contender.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 27, 2014, 05:22:15 PM »
agreed with S/I he has some major points. These are major puzzles and chess games that only seem to happen with luck or real skill. Perhaps Lombardi is a genius or Bowman but it all seems to come with some sort of magical chemistry. Boy I hope we get Comrade Komorav back
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline KW Sluggo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 27, 2014, 10:00:16 PM »

No guarantee whatsoever...in fact the reverse is more likely true, namely a guarantee that things won't improve after five years..

Been there done that literally since 1967 and today we mailed it in (yet again).

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 28, 2014, 03:26:40 PM »
Rob Longley @longleysunsport

Shanahan on Bolland: "I've made it clear I want David Bolland on this team." #Leafs

BWB

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 28, 2014, 04:25:57 PM »

Shanahan on Bolland: "I've made it clear I want David Bolland on this team." #Leafs

Arrghhh!   I hope that he doesn't mean at any cost!!

I am usually neck and neck with Redleaf and competing with Nutman for giddy optimism for the Leafs but man is it ever getting harder to be happy with a majority of the moves the Leaf's management have been doing in this 9 year winning drought.
All The Best
Dan

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 28, 2014, 05:10:29 PM »

What, you don't want to lock up a 19-goal career high scoring centre with a bum ankle who can't win faceoffs long term? Pffft, next you'll be telling us you don't want an out of shape over the hill barely .900 save percentage goalie as your backup.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 28, 2014, 05:18:55 PM »
Simmsation: Question: if TOR admits Gunnar hip was a concern and they flip him, what's up with the Bolland pension plan idea?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline mjmgrand

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 29, 2014, 12:05:37 PM »

What, you don't want to lock up a 19-goal career high scoring centre with a bum ankle who can't win faceoffs long term? Pffft, next you'll be telling us you don't want an out of shape over the hill barely .900 save percentage goalie as your backup.

I think its obvious that Dave Bolland plays with a lot of heart and would be a huge addition to this team. Both sides of the coin are valid - he has never been a consistent 50 point scorer in the league, but Shanahan is calling a spade a spade when he explicitly states that he wants something to get done with the Bolland camp.

Bolland is special player who has a lot more to give. Calling him a bum and that he should just be told to take a walk is a bit disingenuine. Those 15 games we got from him before the achilles heel slash were some of the best I have seen from a Leaf centre in quite some time.

Its also obvious however that Bozak has improved significantly and that has to be factored into any negotiotions. The Bollland camp cannot be greedy - Bolland has to sign something in the 3-5 year range because he still has to prove himself. He's 27 years old, its not like he's 37, he can always sign a big ticket contract at 30 but they can't be greedy. Bolland needs to hit 20 goals and 50 points for 3 straight seasons before anyone is going to take him seriously as a big ticket guy.

Unfortunately, his camp is probably looking at Clarkson's contract and thinking why not us? Keep in mind, Clarkson did inexplicably hit 30 goals a couple seasons ago which is why he was able to absolutely fleece Toronto last year in negotiations. We are talking about perhaps the single most dangerous contract handed out in modern NHL history in regards to how erroneous and misguided it was.

But money is money, and it's your prerogative to take it when you negotiate for it and the other party acquiesces. It's never going to change.

Offline mjmgrand

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 29, 2014, 12:12:42 PM »

I think its obvious that Dave Bolland plays with a lot of heart and would be a huge addition to this team. Both sides of the coin are valid - he has never been a consistent 50 point scorer in the league, but Shanahan is calling a spade a spade when he explicitly states that he wants something to get done with the Bolland camp.

Bolland is special player who has a lot more to give. Calling him a bum and that he should just be told to take a walk is a bit disingenuine. Those 15 games we got from him before the achilles heel slash were some of the best I have seen from a Leaf centre in quite some time.

Its also obvious however that Bozak has improved significantly and that has to be factored into any negotiotions. The Bollland camp cannot be greedy - Bolland has to sign something in the 3-5 year range because he still has to prove himself. He's 27 years old, its not like he's 37, he can always sign a big ticket contract at 30 but they can't be greedy. Bolland needs to hit 20 goals and 50 points for 3 straight seasons before anyone is going to take him seriously as a big ticket guy.

Unfortunately, his camp is probably looking at Clarkson's contract and thinking why not us? Keep in mind, Clarkson did inexplicably hit 30 goals a couple seasons ago which is why he was able to absolutely fleece Toronto last year in negotiations. We are talking about perhaps the single most dangerous contract handed out in modern NHL history in regards to how erroneous and misguided it was.

But money is money, and it's your prerogative to take it when you negotiate for it and the other party acquiesces. It's never going to change.

For the record, why I injected Bozak into this moments ago is that the Leafs are forced to use him as a comparable for any FA centre negotiations. If your numbers are not better than a guy who is widely considered not an elite talent, you're not going to get a contract in that range.

No matter how special Bolland has shown that he is capable of being, you have to be able to argue from numbers. I believe there is not a single GM in the league who doesn't know that Bolland's market value, in the absence of the bubble effect that July 1 historically adds, is a $3.5 mm/3 year contract.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: June 29, 2014, 02:37:29 PM »

A Red Wing should know better!!!!!
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 29, 2014, 03:36:17 PM »

Actually Clarkson not only scored 30 goals in 80 games before the lockout, he scored 14 goals in the 48 game lockout shortened season which almost pro-rates to back to back 30 goals in a full season.

The disappointment was how streaky Clarkson was and how badly/quickly his scoring dried up in the lockout season before Toronto signed him.  That should have been a red flag to Nonis and management.  Oh well.

For Bolland, the stats don't look near as good as Clarkson's.  Bolland has NEVER scored 20 goals in his career, has NEVER had even 30 assists, is HORRIBLE on faceoffs, can't fight and has never broke 70 hits in any season of his whole NHL career.

With Bolland wanting a $5 + MIL longterm contract is delusional on his part.
All The Best
Dan

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: June 30, 2014, 11:01:33 PM »
Dreger...

If the Leafs and Bolland are going to get something done, it will happpen at the 11th hr. However, looks like Bolland is going to market.
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: June 30, 2014, 11:08:18 PM »

Actually Clarkson not only scored 30 goals in 80 games before the lockout, he scored 14 goals in the 48 game lockout shortened season which almost pro-rates to back to back 30 goals in a full season.

The disappointment was how streaky Clarkson was and how badly/quickly his scoring dried up in the lockout season before Toronto signed him.  That should have been a red flag to Nonis and management.  Oh well.

For Bolland, the stats don't look near as good as Clarkson's.  Bolland has NEVER scored 20 goals in his career, has NEVER had even 30 assists, is HORRIBLE on faceoffs, can't fight and has never broke 70 hits in any season of his whole NHL career.

With Bolland wanting a $5 + MIL longterm contract is delusional on his part.

David Bolland - 82GP 18G 24A 42P
David Clarkson - 82GP 17G 13A 30P

Those are their respective career /82 game averages.  Clarkson had an aberration period of 100 games in his career where he scored drastically above the rest of his career.

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 30, 2014, 11:52:56 PM »
I don't have the exact stat in front in me, but for his 14 goals in 48 games I'm pretty sure Clarkson scored the first 10 goals in the first 20 then 4 the rest of the way.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #764 on: June 30, 2014, 11:52:56 PM »