Author Topic: David Clarkson - Signs with Maple Leafs  (Read 39844 times)

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: David Clarkson - Signs with Maple Leafs
« Reply #270 on: July 09, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »
So then actually looking at how he, the individual played defensive hockey...what can you tell us about that? What attributes led to those numbers?

From the dozen or so goals I looked at, he missed chances to slow the transition out and was slow getting back; he floated at the top of circles in his end after letting guys by him; overcommitted looking to cut off passes that he thought would spring him; after defensive zone faceoffs that were lost, started for the blue line looking to be sprung... they were all in games where he was a minus player, so those might be the worst of his performances. But they do suggest that he wasn't exactly the one honest man on a line of defensively irresponsible line mates. Let's hope Kadri's complete game comes together fast.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 09, 2013, 08:48:48 PM »
So then actually looking at how he, the individual played defensive hockey...what can you tell us about that? What attributes led to those numbers?

From the dozen or so goals I looked at, he missed chances to slow the transition out and was slow getting back; he floated at the top of circles in his end after letting guys by him; overcommitted looking to cut off passes that he thought would spring him; after defensive zone faceoffs that were lost, started for the blue line looking to be sprung... they were all in games where he was a minus player, so those might be the worst of his performances. But they do suggest that he wasn't exactly the one honest man on a line of defensively irresponsible line mates. Let's hope Kadri's complete game comes together fast.

Well ignoring the sample size those strike me all as issues of decision making and effort rather than any actual deficiencies in ability(speed, quickness, size) so maybe something else to consider hoping for is that whatever hiccups there might be in his defensive performance can be ironed out by good coaching and a desire to change things up a bit to become a more effective player.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 09, 2013, 08:50:20 PM »

Most New Jersey fans said that he was pretty bad defensively. I've read a few people here suggest that since he played in the Devils system for so long that he must know a thing or two about defensive hockey, but that really doesn't appear to be the case.

And it's my biggest worry about his play. Especially since his projected linemmates are going to be Kadri and Lupul, both are also pretty big question marks defensively.

Offline mjmgrand

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 09, 2013, 10:08:11 PM »

Surely you have to see that this could very well be proven down the road to be too early to have known, and way to sensationalist for the sake of appreciated debate.

Clarkson will likely play his heart out an a line with Kadri and Lupul. I can't wait to see this. It's going to be magnificent. A perfect bizarro line of opportunistic scoring and grime. Kadri plays a slightly less angry game than Clarkson, but can get just as surly when the going gets tough.

I shudder to think of the amount of damage Lupul will do on LW with these two assholes roaming on his line. Its going to be madness.

Most New Jersey fans said that he was pretty bad defensively. I've read a few people here suggest that since he played in the Devils system for so long that he must know a thing or two about defensive hockey, but that really doesn't appear to be the case.

And it's my biggest worry about his play. Especially since his projected linemmates are going to be Kadri and Lupul, both are also pretty big question marks defensively.

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 09, 2013, 11:11:52 PM »
Then let's hope they spend the majority of their shifts in the offensive zone.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 10, 2013, 12:16:58 AM »

I see, so we paid $5+ million for a guy with the offense of Kulemin and the defense of Lupul?

Offline Chev-boyar-sky

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 10, 2013, 07:20:42 AM »

I see, so we paid $5+ million for a guy with the offense of Kulemin and the defense of Lupul?

Grabovski? No, he was bought out.

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 10, 2013, 10:12:25 AM »
Yeah, just curious.  Was wondering if there would be any benefit to the team.

Also, anyone sort of feel like Clarkson/Bolland is a little reminiscent of the summer we signed Roberts/Corson?

Yup. Both are quite a bit younger than the previous era guys were, no?

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
David Clarkson - Signs with Maple Leafs
« Reply #278 on: July 10, 2013, 11:10:43 AM »

Grabovski? No, he was bought out.

The sad thing is some people might actually believe that.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
David Clarkson - Signs with Maple Leafs
« Reply #279 on: July 10, 2013, 11:14:33 AM »

Also, anyone sort of feel like Clarkson/Bolland is a little reminiscent of the summer we signed Roberts/Corson?

Yep, but neither player comes close to being as good as Gary Roberts.

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 10, 2013, 11:35:54 AM »

Disagree wholeheartedly.  Clarkson doesn't come with the history Roberts did when he got here but the player he is on the day he signed with the Leafs I think they are very similar with Clarkson actually having arguably more talent.

Comparing Bolland to Roberts doesn't make a lot of sense.  Except Bolland has TWO cups.

Online hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 10, 2013, 11:48:09 AM »
Comparing Bolland to Roberts doesn't make a lot of sense.  Except Bolland has TWO cups.

(*chuckles*)  You mean "Cups".  Er, right!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:54:59 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Online Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 10, 2013, 11:53:20 AM »

Disagree wholeheartedly.  Clarkson doesn't come with the history Roberts did when he got here but the player he is on the day he signed with the Leafs I think they are very similar with Clarkson actually having arguably more talent.

Clarkson more talented than a former 50-goal scorer with 438 career goals...?
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Online Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 10, 2013, 11:54:15 AM »

(*Chuckles*)  You mean "Cups".  Er, right!

No, he means cups.  The guy has so much testicular fortitude that each requires its own cup.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 10, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »
I'm increasingly hating player comparisons.  :-\

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #284 on: July 10, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »