Author Topic: William Nylander  (Read 24483 times)

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Nylander
« Reply #390 on: October 05, 2017, 09:35:48 AM »
I remember that play, Willy's like "sick of playing defence, got the puck back, LET'S DO THIS."
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 22, 2017, 12:12:51 PM »
Some great clips of Willy in this segment.
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 25, 2017, 09:43:41 AM »

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 25, 2017, 09:50:25 AM »
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/big-read-maple-leafs-risked-drafting-william-nylander/

I really enjoyed this article for the pictures.
I don't like the public shaming of his dad. I don't think it's productive in anyway or even that interesting. If anything it's probably a determent to William's development. If I were him I would find this article very distracting. Shoddy article, might have to consider that Athletic subscription.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:57:56 AM by cabber24 »
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 12, 2017, 12:38:48 AM »
Seems to be caught in a funk. Now that Marner & c. are going again, I wonder if it'd be a good idea to cycle Nylander through the 4th line and get him some easy minutes to get his game going again.

When Matthews is back:

Marleau-Matthews-Hyman
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Nylander-Leivo

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 16, 2017, 09:55:23 PM »

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 01, 2017, 08:49:45 AM »
Nylander has 6 points on a 4-game point streak. He's 3rd on the team in points behind Matthews and Kadri (so he leads all wingers). He leads the team in assists. And he's only shooting 7.5%.

edit: Oh he's 55.1% on face-offs too.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:55:21 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 01, 2017, 09:35:45 AM »
Nylander has 6 points on a 4-game point streak. He's 3rd on the team in points behind Matthews and Kadri (so he leads all wingers). He leads the team in assists. And he's only shooting 7.5%.

I don't really mind someone like Nylander being used as an overmatch option once in awhile (on the road against top-heavy teams). Back in the Carlyle days, I wondered if the Leafs would try that with Kessel a bit when JvR and Lupul were going. Scoring by sheer Will right into the soft spots of the opposing lineups changes the complexion of the game.

Nylander has made Martin and Moore look like legit NHLers and spiked their confidence (Martin tried to snipe it later in the game! Moore is showing off moves he hadn't used since he was 28!). If we can sort out our penalty taking problems (*cough* Polak) and keep buzzing the offensive zone in waves, Willy will get plenty of PP time to offset low even-strength minutes. Nights like last night, I'd even play Moore's line over Bozak's.

Of the three kids who've ridden the 10th forward role, Nylander has easily been the best, but we already knew that. On the road, teams are going to iso Matthews' line; with Hyman and Brown, he can neutralize the other top lines with Kadri, freeing up Nylander (and eventually Marner) to carve up the bottom.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 01, 2017, 09:50:22 AM »

Nylander has made Martin and Moore look like legit NHLers and spiked their confidence (Martin tried to snipe it later in the game! Moore is showing off moves he hadn't used since he was 28!).

Martin looks like garbage when he has to play with Ben Smith.  When he's with other NHL players, he doesn't look out of place.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 01, 2017, 10:06:03 AM »

I don't really mind someone like Nylander being used as an overmatch option once in awhile.

Nylander has made Martin and Moore look like legit NHLers and spiked their confidence (Martin tried to snipe it later in the game! Moore is showing off moves he hadn't used since he was 28!). If we can sort out our penalty taking problems (*cough* Polak) and keep buzzing the offensive zone in waves, Willy will get plenty of PP time to offset low even-strength minutes. Nights like last night, I'd even play Moore's line over Bozak's.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that scenario as long as he can get some steady minutes. Nylander played 11 minutes yesterday. Hyman was at 20 and Komarov 18+. There is no excuse for him to be lagging that far behind, particularly on a night when they only had to kill two penalties and the game was tied until the very end.  I'm still trying to process Komarov getting the 2nd most minutes out of all forwards...

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 01, 2017, 10:17:55 AM »
I don't necessarily have a problem with that scenario as long as he can get some steady minutes. Nylander played 11 minutes yesterday. Hyman was at 20 and Komarov 18+. There is no excuse for him to be lagging that far behind, particularly on a night when they only had to kill two penalties and the game was tied until the very end.  I'm still trying to process Komarov getting the 2nd most minutes out of all forwards...

Komarov is a tri-phasic player: he's on EV strength match up duty, PK1, and PP2. He gonna get minutes just by that reason alone. Should he?

Hyman and Brown's minutes are tied to matchups. On the road, these are usually hard matched against other top lines. Against teams that are top heavy, that type of deployment saps the offense right out of you. It's to Hyman and Brown's credit that they still have the zip to start more than a few forays into the OZ. I can't see Nylander playing that level of defense regularly and being that effective going back the other way just yet. But when he does... hooo boy.

The Leafs aren't getting very many calls right now. Otherwise, you'd see Nylander's minutes climb. He still gets the odd shift with Matthews or Kadri (4-on-4, post-PK).

Right now, he's not demoted. He's playing 'secret' weapon. He's just getting a mini vacation to pad his stats and build his confidence before jumping back into hard matchups when we play again at home.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 01, 2017, 10:29:41 AM »

I don't really mind someone like Nylander being used as an overmatch option once in awhile.

The Leafs had a lead for 40 of the first 43 minutes of the game.  They only played 19 minutes tied, mostly in the 3rd after Russell's first goal.  And Bozak, JvR, Marner played only slightly more than Nylander at even strength.  Babcock ran Kadri/Matthews a lot at even strength trying to avoid the 3rd/4th lines getting caught out there against McDavid.  Nylander displacing Komarov on the shutdown line when most of the game the Leafs had the lead would not be ideal. 

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 01, 2017, 10:55:22 AM »
The Leafs had a lead for 40 of the first 43 minutes of the game.  They only played 19 minutes tied, mostly in the 3rd after Russell's first goal.  And Bozak, JvR, Marner played only slightly more than Nylander at even strength.  Babcock ran Kadri/Matthews a lot at even strength trying to avoid the 3rd/4th lines getting caught out there against McDavid.  Nylander displacing Komarov on the shutdown line when most of the game the Leafs had the lead would not be ideal. 

Thanks for being instrumental on all 4 of our goals so far tonight, Willie. We got this from here!

*team blow leads*

This joke would have worked much better if Nylander wasn't on the ice for Kassian's goal but I still like it.

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 01, 2017, 10:57:25 AM »

I am big on shooting percentages but he only has 8 shots in the last 7 games. Shoot the puck!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 11:23:14 AM by cabber24 »
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 07, 2017, 01:14:24 AM »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #404 on: December 07, 2017, 01:14:24 AM »