Author Topic: Useless Thread  (Read 132982 times)

Offline TimKerr

• Marlie
    • View Profile
Re: Useless Thread
« Reply #1635 on: May 22, 2018, 09:43:51 PM »
Hmm it was quick actually. Here is one link, I will be back with the other. And you guys should all be aware of what happened in 2009 if you live in this country.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/07/is-the-british-royal-family-worth-the-money/278052/

Ummm, that article states that Britons pay $50M a year for the Royal Family. You stated we (I assume you are Canadian) so no Canadians don't pay $50M a year for the Queen to be here.
Read the second link. And if you are going to correct someone, get it right.

You hadn't posted the second link when I responded. But again, thanks for being an arrogant pr***.
Maybe I should call you a troll who is ruining the board? Or does that only work when someone does it to you?

Yes, you are right, it costs Canadians $50M based on that article.
You could have actually read my post to begin with where I did say that I would post a second link. You seem like a really angry person. I suggest you get some help.

Thank you for the advice. I'll take it to heart. I hope you stay on this board for good. If not, your contributions would be sorely missed.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: May 22, 2018, 09:54:30 PM »

So a couple of things:

1. I don't think anyone can say definitively how much money the Monarchy generates for the UK because at it's heart is a fundamental question with no real answer, namely do tourists come to see things because of them? Or do they see it for the history? I can say personally that when I went to London I went to the Tower of London because of what happened there in the 15th and 14th centuries, not because of Prince Charles. Also, people still go to see Versailles even if nobody is living there.

2. The link that claims that the Monarchy costs Canada 50 million dollars a year links to a study I couldn't find. Also, the study is by "The Monarchist League of Canada" who might not be the most impartial observers.

3. Most studies like this are bunk anyway. Ever see one of those "March Madness costs companies so and so billion dollars a year in productivity" headlines? Junk science based on guesses, assumptions and really bad logic.

4. It's probably not accurate to blame the Queen for decisions made by a Governor General or confuse the two. Also, if you're going to be pro-the Governor General having constitutional powers, you have to accept they'll use them.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: May 22, 2018, 09:56:54 PM »

Also, re: #1 up there pro-Monarchy people also tend to just assume that the current House of Windsor would just get to keep all of the Crown Estates were Britain no longer a Monarchy which seems unlikely in the event of a Guillotine.
-Mark Twain

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: May 22, 2018, 09:58:31 PM »
When she told the NDP and the Liberals that they could not form a coalition government. She vetoed it.

This is a poor misrepresentation of what actually happened. While it's true that the Liberals and the NDP had an agreement to form a coalition (with the support of the Bloc Quebecois), the Queen didn't veto anything. The Governor-General granted Harper's request to prorogue parliament. These are two different things, and, while the GG is the Queen's representative, I can't find any definitive evidence the decision to grant the prorogue was approved by the Queen - never mind mandated by Her Majesty.

Over the course of the prorogue, the Liberals changed leadership and the Conservatives changed their budget to something the Liberals were willing to vote for - which is how the Conservatives maintained power. Still, no evidence of direct involvement from the Queen.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: May 22, 2018, 09:59:49 PM »
Make no mistake, the governor general is a figurehead of the queen. She is here by proxy. I'm personally kind of indifferent to it. I see the good and the bad. But once Charles is king I will probably want rid of it. The current queen I don't mind. Charles is an idiot though.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: May 22, 2018, 10:02:25 PM »
Make no mistake, the governor general is a figurehead of the queen.

So you think that in a constitutional situation the GG would take orders from Queen Elizabeth?
-Mark Twain

Offline sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: May 22, 2018, 10:07:42 PM »

So you think that in a constitutional situation the GG would take orders from Queen Elizabeth?
Absolutely.

I really do think that here in Canada we are conditioned not to know about this stuff. It is very hush hush. I actually find that Americans are more acutely aware of how much power the queen holds here.

Offline Average Joes

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: May 22, 2018, 10:12:20 PM »

As long as she is not senile. Totally kidding.

Sick I see your post above. The Queen appoints whatever GG the the PM tells her to.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: May 22, 2018, 10:12:52 PM »

Absolutely.

I really do think that here in Canada we are conditioned not to know about this stuff. It is very hush hush. I actually find that Americans are more acutely aware of how much power the queen holds here.

Wow. Ok.
-Mark Twain

Offline sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: May 22, 2018, 10:14:25 PM »

Sick I see your post above. The Queen appoints whatever GG the the PM tells her to.
You think the queen wants some random appointed person to wield her power? Are you saying that you think the queen plays no role in the decisions?

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: May 22, 2018, 10:19:37 PM »
The Queen appoints whatever GG the the PM tells her to.

That's much more in-line with the truth. The figurehead in this situation is the Queen more than the GG. Her Majesty basically rubber stamps things. Royal assent has not been withheld for more than 300 years, and only once in the history of Canada has the GG not granted the request of a sitting PM.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:22:52 PM by bustaheims »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: May 22, 2018, 10:20:18 PM »
There was precedent for the queen to allow the Liberal/NDP coalition in 2009 by the way, guys. She showed us her political stripes. I would have to look into the Australian PM she disposed of also. It could be telling.

Offline Average Joes

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: May 22, 2018, 10:21:21 PM »

You think the queen wants some random appointed person to wield her power? Are you saying that you think the queen plays no role in the decisions?
Yes. She is a figurehead with no real power. Busta gave a better answer.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: May 22, 2018, 10:24:17 PM »
Yes. She is a figurehead with no real power. Busta gave a better answer.

Really, at this point, they're both basically figureheads.

Offline sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: May 22, 2018, 10:24:31 PM »
Sure enough in 1975 in Australia the queen disposed of a sitting prime minister from the labour party, the equivalent of our Liberals or even NDP.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1649 on: May 22, 2018, 10:24:31 PM »