Author Topic: Auston Matthews  (Read 46777 times)

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Auston Matthews
« Reply #735 on: November 24, 2017, 01:39:37 PM »
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 24, 2017, 01:46:13 PM »
Is it just me or is there more "captain talk" around Matthews suddenly?  During the broadcast the other night Romanuk and Millen were all over the leadership talk around Matthews and how he's captain material.  Now these comments from Sundin.  Are the Leafs floating the idea out there so everyone is used to it?

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: November 24, 2017, 01:50:58 PM »
Matthews doesn't seem like the brightest or most charismatic guy in the world, but given the current trend of naming your best player captain, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he'll get the nod.

Offline leafsjunkie

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: November 24, 2017, 01:55:35 PM »
Matthews doesn't seem like the brightest or most charismatic guy in the world, but given the current trend of naming your best player captain, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he'll get the nod.

So how much time have you personally, spent with Auston, to come to that conclusion? Or are you just making things up?

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 24, 2017, 01:59:02 PM »

So how much time have you personally, spent with Auston, to come to that conclusion? Or are you just making things up?

I watched part of that special that aired on Sportsnet after the Arizona game and had to turn it off because I was bored to death. His response to the national anthem shenanigans was a little tone deaf as well.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 24, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »
^^^

You're dead inside.

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 24, 2017, 02:20:08 PM »
^^^

You're dead inside.

And it feels so good.

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: November 24, 2017, 06:26:14 PM »
^^^

You're dead inside.

At least he's not dead on the outside.  Cause that'd make him a Zombie.  Is that what you want?  A Zombie?

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: November 26, 2017, 06:33:06 AM »
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: December 01, 2017, 11:38:58 AM »
Hey Herman, is there a statistical case to be made that Matthews might already be a Selke contender?  I believe he was matched against Gaudreau the other night, who was on absolute fire, and he got nothing. I recall the Chicago game where he dominated Kane.... His Poseidon stats are pretty good (not top of the league though)...

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: December 01, 2017, 11:43:56 AM »
Hey Herman, is there a statistical case to be made that Matthews might already be a Selke contender?  I believe he was matched against Gaudreau the other night, who was on absolute fire, and he got nothing. I recall the Chicago game where he dominated Kane.... His Poseidon stats are pretty good (not top of the league though)...

Matthews is Aquaman, confirmed. (E5)

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: December 01, 2017, 12:13:45 PM »

Did Matthews just throw a trident?
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.Ē - Khalil Gibran

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: December 01, 2017, 12:53:20 PM »

Haha why are you asking me? I generally donít pay much attention to the awards.

Itís a bit early to say. A lot of this is more narrative than statistics driven anyway. He doesnít play PK, so thatís a similar knock that Kadri (haha) will get if people bring him up.

Thereís no shame in Matthews being more defensively similar to Barkov, Kopitar, rather than Bergeron or Kesler, because Matthews is lighting the lamp better than all those guys.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 12:55:05 PM by herman »

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: December 01, 2017, 04:36:53 PM »

Haha why are you asking me? I generally donít pay much attention to the awards.

Itís a bit early to say. A lot of this is more narrative than statistics driven anyway. He doesnít play PK, so thatís a similar knock that Kadri (haha) will get if people bring him up.

Thereís no shame in Matthews being more defensively similar to Barkov, Kopitar, rather than Bergeron or Kesler, because Matthews is lighting the lamp better than all those guys.

What I really meant is:  Is there an argument that Matthews is becoming one of the best defensive players in the league.  (I agree that the actual award is more narrative-driven and typically goes to older guys who have built up the narrative.)

Another way to phrase the question:  Where does Matthews rank defensively amongst todays centers?

(The reason I ask is that you often seem to give interesting statistical arguments.  But if you have no particular response at this time, no worries.)

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: December 01, 2017, 04:37:13 PM »

Did Matthews just throw a trident?

typo + autocorrect.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #749 on: December 01, 2017, 04:37:13 PM »