Author Topic: All that cap space  (Read 985 times)

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: All that cap space
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 12:18:35 PM »
One of those players is Horton, so, he doesn't count, but I did math wrong on the cap space available. It's been a long day. Even still, with any real upgrades to the team, you're most likely looking at less than $5M in space that isn't intentionally left unused - as you're also missing the $2.55M in overages from this season that will go against the cap in 18/19.

With Kessel's $1.2mil, last season's $2.55mil overages, next seasons potential $4.5mil bonuses, and Horton's $5.3mil cap hit, we're looking at about $13.5mil in dead cap space next season.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 12:51:45 PM »
With Kessel's $1.2mil, last season's $2.55mil overages, next seasons potential $4.5mil bonuses, and Horton's $5.3mil cap hit, we're looking at about $13.5mil in dead cap space next season.

I wouldn't consider the bonus money to be dead space, but, yeah, it's not great.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 01:22:48 PM »
If we run Ozhiganov, or Lindholm, or the Swedish D, that’s another 850k each in potential bonuses.

It depends on what kind of bonuses are written into their contracts, but I'd say it's probably unlikely those guys hit any as long as they aren't strictly "play x amount of games" types.

Even when I just said $4.5mil I was sorta assuming that Dermott had some in his contract, but of course he doesn't. So Matthews and Marner combined have $3.7mil in potential bonuses. The team could budget for a little more but I doubt they'd need much more than that.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 01:24:41 PM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline Jolly good show chaps

• Rookie
  • Pip pip
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 02:54:05 AM »
Speaking of cap space, I've read that San Jose and Minnesota may want to buy out the final year of Paul Martin and Tyler Ennis respectively. Would live the Leafs to buy some draft picks or prospects by taking one of those. Or could it give us a reasonable shot at prying Dumba from Minnesota?

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 08:35:39 AM »
Speaking of cap space, I've read that San Jose and Minnesota may want to buy out the final year of Paul Martin and Tyler Ennis respectively. Would live the Leafs to buy some draft picks or prospects by taking one of those. Or could it give us a reasonable shot at prying Dumba from Minnesota?

For the Leafs, the cap space is more valuable than the mid-round picks/middling prospects they'd be able to get out those deals. It's not worth spending more than $4M of space this season for a 3rd round pick. That space needs to be used to upgrade the roster.

And, no, picking up Ellis would not significantly move the needle in terms of the price for Dumba.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 08:37:23 AM by bustaheims »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 08:35:39 AM »