Author Topic: Laurence Gilman hired as AGM  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Laurence Gilman hired as AGM
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2018, 05:14:29 PM »
Hi everyone I know I'm doing a good job hiding it but I'm very excited about Dubas and this hire and the draft and this offseason.

But, do you think it was the right move?

Please explain your answer.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2018, 12:14:59 AM »
https://theathletic.com/367039/2018/05/24/mirtle-maple-leafs-continue-to-go-new-school-in-filling-out-their-front-office-with-gilman-pridham/

Apparently Pridham broke into the league as a scouting coordinator, scouting and its process being his primary background.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2018, 09:53:05 AM »
https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2018/5/26/17388856/who-is-laurence-gilman-toronto-maple-leafs-assistant-general-manager

Again, we note the overlap in capability and philosophy between Gilman, Pridham, and Dubas. Though they will have different departments to manage, theyre probably readily hot-swappable.

Referring to the situation in Minnesota (at the time, Chuck Fletcher, who is also a friend, had just been fired) he talks about the job of GM in general:

The guys who became the General Managers were the best scouts, but those days are gone, particularly in the salary cap era. Managing now has gotten far more modern, Hockey Operations departments have quadrupled or quintupled in size over the last 20 years.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2018, 11:41:30 AM »
This is a surprise, Steve Simmons pumping Mark Hunter's tires again...

Simmons is a twat.  He should go chase after a few more hotdog stands.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2018, 09:28:11 AM »
As a tabloid columnist, Simmons is quite effective for clicks either in mindless agreement or in angry disagreement. His real job is not actual analysis.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2018, 09:37:37 AM »
As a tabloid columnist, Simmons is quite effective for clicks either in mindless agreement or in angry disagreement. His real job is not actual analysis.

The thing is the vast majority of the hockey community doesn't see him as a tabloid columnist, he's a (mostly) respected hockey writer.

Anyway, here's another hot take by him where he claims Dubas isn't comfortable dealing with the media even though he routinely made radio appearances prior to Lou coming in and has had multiple conversations with media members since being named GM:

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2018, 09:48:24 AM »

The thing is the vast majority of the hockey community doesn't see him as a tabloid columnist, he's a (mostly) respected hockey writer.

I think that says more about that vast majority of the hockey community than it does about Simmons.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2018, 10:00:55 AM »

I mean, aside from the fact that he literally is a tabloid columnist I don't know if that's true. I think there's maybe some "respect" coming from the fact that he's been in the business a long time but my guess is most people know what he's about.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2018, 10:25:26 AM »

I mean, aside from the fact that he literally is a tabloid columnist I don't know if that's true. I think there's maybe some "respect" coming from the fact that he's been in the business a long time but my guess is most people know what he's about.

Hasn't Simmons won writing awards in the past though?  I know he's covered multiple Olympics in his day, and I seem to recall him winning something.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2018, 10:33:27 AM »
Hasn't Simmons won writing awards in the past though?  I know he's covered multiple Olympics in his day, and I seem to recall him winning something.

I don't know. But media awards given by and to that same media aren't exactly universally acknowledged symbols of greatness.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2018, 10:35:16 AM »

I went to his wiki to look up if any awards were logged. The entry that points to Footnote 5 is really something.

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2018, 10:41:05 AM »

I went to his wiki to look up if any awards were logged. The entry that points to Footnote 5 is really something.

Are you challenging his expert knowledge of Jews in sport?

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2018, 10:44:20 AM »
Seems legit.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2018, 04:50:36 AM »

Are you challenging his expert knowledge of Jews in sport?

Ahem.  He's not referred to as an expert on Jews in sport.  He's an expert on Jews in the sports.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2018, 04:50:36 AM »