Author Topic: Game 28: Penguins @ Leafs - Mar. 14th, 7:00PM - Sportsnet, Fan 590  (Read 10936 times)

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Game 28: Penguins @ Leafs - Mar. 14th, 7:00PM - Sportsnet, Fan 590
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2013, 09:42:14 PM »
This is just like last season but at least we didn't have to follow it too many months thanks to the lockout.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2013, 09:42:46 PM »
If someone like Kadri or Frattin did what Kessel tried to do on that second goal against, Randy would eviscerate them.  I'd like to see similar treatment given to Kessel et al who completely blew their coverage on that play.

Guy in the slot is the D, forwards are the point, no?

Offline pnjunction

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2013, 09:43:37 PM »
Another winnable game flushed

Top line blew it on the winning goal.

How so?  Seemed like it was Holzer's man who took the shot, and the Leafs had numbers back.

Blurry stream but Dupuis looked like he had lots of time and space to take that shot.  Meanwhile at the other end our guys were covered with clogged up shooting and passing lanes.  Top line includes top D.

Offline Kessel Run

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2013, 09:44:03 PM »
Annnnnd the 18 wheeler inches closer to the edge of that cliff.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2013, 09:44:32 PM »
If someone like Kadri or Frattin did what Kessel tried to do on that second goal against, Randy would eviscerate them.  I'd like to see similar treatment given to Kessel et al who completely blew their coverage on that play.

I agree, but he also totally blew the shot block and just ended up screening Scrivens on the shot. I'm not saying that Scrivens would have saved it, but he certainly didn't see it until it was almost by him.
BWB

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2013, 09:44:37 PM »

Not on a rush.  On a rush you take the open man, particularly if he's standing right beside you.  If the opposing team gets set up in your end, that's when positional coverage comes into play.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2013, 09:44:49 PM »

How so?  Seemed like it was Holzer's man who took the shot, and the Leafs had numbers back.

Blurry stream but Dupuis looked like he had lots of time and space to take that shot.  Meanwhile at the other end our guys were covered with clogged up shooting and passing lanes.  Top line includes top D.

I don't know, Kessel made the pass to JVR that, when I saw it, I thought he should have made, but then Crosby got in and got his stick on to deflect it.  I thought it was going to get through for basically a tap-in.  Didn't, of course.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2013, 09:46:06 PM »
I didn't think Crosby was the star of the game. I've never heard so much pumping up of a player that didn't have to much to do with the game as a whole. Yes, he made a nice pass, not as good as they were raving about it mind you. Fleury and Dupuis played better than did Crosby IMO.
BWB

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2013, 09:47:03 PM »

I don't know, Kessel made the pass to JVR that, when I saw it, I thought he should have made, but then Crosby got in and got his stick on to deflect it.  I thought it was going to get through for basically a tap-in.  Didn't, of course.

Yeah well, best player in the world and all that crap. God effing hate Crosby.

Offline azzurri63

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2013, 09:48:04 PM »
Carlyle has yet to figure out how to get these guys to defend late in the game and get the game to overtime. Top line hasn't figured that out either. Nothing wrong with pushing forward but got to make sure they're back to defend.

Offline pnjunction

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2013, 09:50:22 PM »

I guess in the end we can analyze that goal against to death but with one goal for you're not winning many games in this league.  Offense has been incompetent lately 3 goals in the last 2 games.

Offline Justin

• Rookie
  • @justorbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2013, 09:52:44 PM »
Turns out playing Holzer against Crosby and Pitsburgh's 1st line is as stupid as it sounds. I can't wait until the Leafs get a real top-pairing defense partner for Phaneuf.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2013, 09:56:41 PM »
Well, thought the Leafs played quite good; got beat on a couple of decent chances/mental mistakes. They definitely deserved a better fate. 

Franson and Liles stood out to me on the backend, with Holzer, mostly, playing a really strong game as well. Grabovski needs a scorer on his wing; Mclement and Komarov are fine players but seriously, throw the guy a frickin bone here.

Officiating was as brutal as usual. Bodychecks called as penalties; icings not waved off when they should be; and I can't believe how many Leafs were thrown out of that faceoff circle in situations where: a) it should have been the other centre, or b) nobody should have been thrown out.

Offline Stronger Than All

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Game 28: Penguins @ Leafs - Mar. 14th, 7:00PM - Sportsnet, Fan 590
« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2013, 09:57:10 PM »
I'm disgusted.  I thought I was going to be a shutout.  Why was it so wide open before the ern of regulation

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2013, 09:59:24 PM »
Turns out playing Holzer against Crosby and Pitsburgh's 1st line is as stupid as it sounds. I can't wait until the Leafs get a real top-pairing defense partner for Phaneuf.

What, because of a couple of minutes of sloppy play in a 60 minute game? They actually shut down that line pretty damn well all game, depsite Holzer obviously not being a top-pairing defenceman.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2013, 09:59:24 PM »