Author Topic: 2013 Toronto Blue Jays Thread  (Read 67710 times)

Offline Justin

• Rookie
  • @justorbs
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Toronto Blue Jays Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 01:39:44 AM »
The Brewers have released former Blue Jay Kelvim Escobar, which most likely ends his comeback attempt.

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2013/3/10/4086594/brewers-have-released-kelvim-escobar

Offline Derk

• Veteran
  • Robble
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2013, 01:03:42 PM »
Happ isn't too happy with his likely role with the Jays this year (Sun Link). Heard some discussion about this on Primetime Sports last night too.

Not sure how I feel about this. I can understand his competitiveness and wanting to be a starter, but I might have liked to see a more team-first attitude. We will see what happens moving forward.

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2013, 04:48:20 PM »
Happ isn't too happy with his likely role with the Jays this year (Sun Link). Heard some discussion about this on Primetime Sports last night too.

Not sure how I feel about this. I can understand his competitiveness and wanting to be a starter, but I might have liked to see a more team-first attitude. We will see what happens moving forward.

I get why he would be upset though, he has been a starter in the majors for 4 seasons and now Toronto trades for him and assigns him the minors.

Offline Derk

• Veteran
  • Robble
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2013, 05:11:52 PM »

I get why he would be upset though, he has been a starter in the majors for 4 seasons and now Toronto trades for him and assigns him the minors.

I can see why he would be upset, but I can completely understand how he is suddenly #6 on the depth chart. I wonder why they don't put him in the bullpen as long relief. Also, I wonder how long a leash Romero gets this year.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 05:25:39 PM »

They haven't sent him to the minors (at least, not yet) - they've put him in the bullpen.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
2013 Toronto Blue Jays Thread
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »

They haven't sent him to the minors (at least, not yet) - they've put him in the bullpen.

I'm assuming he is buffalo bound based on what the media around the team are saying.

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2013, 08:44:40 AM »
Only because he has an option (IIRC) and Cecil doesn't...which to me doesn't make sense because Cecil isn't a very good pitcher.

Offline A Weekend at Bernier's

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 03:30:16 PM »
Only because he has an option (IIRC) and Cecil doesn't...which to me doesn't make sense because Cecil isn't a very good pitcher.

...who won 15 games a few years ago.  The better asset management approach is to keep as many players you think are good as you can.  The Jays aren't running a popularity contest this year; it's all about winning.  I see no issue with this and if I were J.A. Happ I'd keep my mouth closed and give thanks for being part of what is sure to be an excellent ball club.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2013, 03:50:03 PM »

...who won 15 games a few years ago.  The better asset management approach is to keep as many players you think are good as you can.  The Jays aren't running a popularity contest this year; it's all about winning.  I see no issue with this and if I were J.A. Happ I'd keep my mouth closed and give thanks for being part of what is sure to be an excellent ball club.

Kind of hard to have that perspective if you're not actually with the ball club though.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2013, 04:58:26 PM »

Kind of hard to have that perspective if you're not actually with the ball club though.

Especially if you have already proven that you are a major-league ready, and capable, starter.

Offline Justin

• Rookie
  • @justorbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 10:49:13 AM »
I'm convinced that whoever made this 80's style "Space Jays" video is a genius.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=ySjsjhsYark[/youtube]

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2013, 03:53:30 PM »
They should be sending Romero to the minors and putting Happ in the rotation.

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2013, 04:00:54 PM »
They should be sending Romero to the minors and putting Happ in the rotation.

If he can't pull it together before the start of the season, I think they will option RR to AAA, assuming they still can.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2013, 04:34:56 PM »
I think they want to see what they have in Romero in the majors before making a move with him, since they've got more invested in him.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2013, 05:35:35 PM »
I think they want to see what they have in Romero in the majors before making a move with him, since they've got more invested in him.

That, and if he regains his form this season, he's clearly the better pitcher of the two.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2013, 05:35:35 PM »