Author Topic: Lightning @ Leafs - Jan. 2nd, 7:00pm - SNO, Fan 590  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lightning @ Leafs - Jan. 2nd, 7:00pm - SNO, Fan 590
« Reply #165 on: January 03, 2018, 08:46:50 AM »
The way Marner was flying out there, the only thing missing was a cape.  :D

And maybe a goal or two.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 03, 2018, 10:47:12 AM »
Just once I would like to see the Leafs try Marner-Matthews-Nylander when they are down in a late game situation.  Just play Marner-Matthews-Nylander and Marleau-Kadri-JVR if you are trying to score late.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 03, 2018, 11:52:37 AM »
Just once I would like to see the Leafs try Marner-Matthews-Nylander when they are down in a late game situation.  Just play Marner-Matthews-Nylander and Marleau-Kadri-JVR if you are trying to score late.

Me too.  But maybe Babcock is saving all that for when the games really count for something.

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 03, 2018, 12:19:52 PM »

Me too.  But maybe Babcock is saving all that for when the games really count for something.

Nope I'm pretty sure he just really likes Hymen and Komarov.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 03, 2018, 12:32:30 PM »
I don't know, I just can't understand what Komarov does/has done to get PP time. He's a 4th liner. And why on earth is Bozak on the ice with the Leafs net empty? He blew a strong scoring chance/setup by making an absolutely atrocious pass to the blueline that missed the D and went into Toronto's zone. He can be truly horrible sometimes.

Late in the 3rd, down by two, we should be seeing Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, JVR, Marleau non-stop. Heck, I'd put out Brown then Kapanen and then Leivo before I put on Hyman (near 20 mins ice time??!!), Komorav or Bozak. 

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 03, 2018, 01:04:43 PM »

That would be fun.  As would

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
JVR-Kadri-Marner

for handedness.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 03, 2018, 01:07:46 PM »
How did the Goat play last night. I saw a few minutes of the first period and he seemed to make few good plays. Is he an upgrade over Moore?
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 03, 2018, 01:59:39 PM »
How did the Goat play last night. I saw a few minutes of the first period and he seemed to make few good plays. Is he an upgrade over Moore?

One game is not enough to gauge properly; by that time Moore will be gone anyway. Gauthier looked a bit faster than his first few go arounds and to my eye more confident carrying and handling the puck.

Soshnikov - Gauthier - Leivo would be a handsome (and cheap) 4th line that could chip in offense (and a pretty great 1st line on the Marlies).

Potential next year lines using only internal options that I wouldn't be afraid to roll out right now.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Martin - Gauthier - Leivo
Aaltonen, Soshnikov

There's a chance JvR comes back (based on what everyone on the team has said about him), so ideally that bumps Martin, but we all know that ain't happening and Andreas Johnsson/Miro Aaltonen will be on the Marlies.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 03, 2018, 07:42:39 PM »

One game is not enough to gauge properly; by that time Moore will be gone anyway. Gauthier looked a bit faster than his first few go arounds and to my eye more confident carrying and handling the puck.

Soshnikov - Gauthier - Leivo would be a handsome (and cheap) 4th line that could chip in offense (and a pretty great 1st line on the Marlies).

Potential next year lines using only internal options that I wouldn't be afraid to roll out right now.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Martin - Gauthier - Leivo
Aaltonen, Soshnikov

There's a chance JvR comes back (based on what everyone on the team has said about him), so ideally that bumps Martin, but we all know that ain't happening and Andreas Johnsson/Miro Aaltonen will be on the Marlies.
Thanks Herman, the overall jist I get is that Fredo has improved speed and is more confident with the puck. With his wingspan he may just fit in. What I love about the Leafs, they are no longer giving up on potential (if they see it) and work to improve what someone is capable of.  Obviously for Fredo to go in the 1st means someone saw his raw potential to develop into a positive piece of the puzzle.  If our Goat can play 4th line and help the team then he is another example of where this organization is going.
In the old days he would already have been tossed on the roadside or traded for nothing.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #174 on: January 03, 2018, 07:42:39 PM »