To say the Leafs loss to the Panthers looms large, that doesn’t begin to address the issue.
I’ve said it again and again. We need to ice a complete squad with no injuries and no suspensions before I give up on them. They are playing with loose links that need to be fixed.
Many are calling for Carlyle’s head. I don’t think it’s to that point yet. I have no idea if the players are listening to their coach. Let’s wait until they have a stronger roster – and then make our assessments. It’d be nice if Dave Nonis could call around and find a centre to help out. I know he has to give to get, but we are far too weak down the middle.
Addressing a few links will fare far better than drastic measures at this point.
New contract for Phaneuf?
There are whispers coming out that Leafs Captain Dion Phaneuf is negotiating his contract. The terms seem to be in the area of $7million per year for 7 years. Now I’m not the biggest fan of his, but I do think they are realistic terms. The guy plays the PP, the PK, and puts up 27 mins per game. he carries a good +/-. Plus he wears a C and steps up to talk for the team when needed (even though there are casual fans saying he shouldn’t be captain – I don’t know that not being in the dressing room).
Daily leafs links…
- Leafs clawed by Panthers (Toronto Sun)
- Leafs loss simply embarrassing (Toronto Sun)
- Back-to-back no excuse (Toronto Sun)
- Johnny Bower makes a kid’s dream come true (Toronto Sun)
- Winter wonderland of hockey books this season (Toronto Sun) *including one by our own Rob Del Mundo
- Leafs fans make Sports Illustrated (Toronto Sun)
- Leafs offer lump of coal vs Panthers (Toronto Star)
- Doghouse overflows for Leafs (Toronto Star)
- Is Clarkson the new Larry Murphy? (Toronto Star)
- Recap of the loss (Toronto Star)
- Leafs unable to gain momentum (Globe)
- Turnovers are too much for Leafs (Post)
- Future looks bright for Panthers (Post)
- Leafs embarrassed in loss (TSN)
- Leafs in crisis (Sportsnet)
- Mistake prone Leafs lose to Panthers (Sportsnet)
- Is Clarkson a bust? (Bleacher Report)
- Panthers top Leafs (Miami Herald)
- Leafs fall to Panthers (MapleLeafs.com)
- Marlies in Rochester (Marlies.ca)
- Are the Leafs over Carlyle? (The Leafs Nation)
- Leafs are broken – fix it! (HockeyBuzz)
- Game recap (Maple Leafs Hotstove)
- Players & Coach reaction to Florida loss (Maple Leafs Hotstove)
- All I want for Christmas is a new coach (Pension Plan Puppets)
- Leafs loss to Panthers a tipping point? (Vintage Leafs Memories)
- Leafs talking deal with Phaneuf (Fourth Period)
- Stealing Money (Hope in the Big Smoke)
Follow Rick’s twitter feed for more updates!