If you would have asked the typical hockey fan about the Leafs vs Pens game before the game was even played last night, most would say that it would be an uninspired hockey by a couple of beat up teams. One might even guess that Crosby would find a way to give the Pens a win.
And that would have been bang on.
The Leafs, for the most part, were limping. On the positive, Captain Phaneuf was back from his two-game suspension, and played quite well. Also playing well on the blueline were both Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner. Both have lots of upside as offensive d-men. Matter of fact, Reilly offered up his first ever NHL goal, a quick, accurate snapshot upstairs as he broke in from his own end.
The Leafs return to Toronto tonight, where the Florida Panthers have been waiting take on the Leafs tonight.
- Goal helps Rielly’s cause (Toronto Sun)
- Crosby scores winner over Leafs (Toronto Sun)
- Leafs almost do good job tying up Crosby (Toronto Sun)
- Leafs, Wings alumni rosters (Toronto Sun)
- Leafs lack jump vs Pens (Toronto Star)
- Kulemin moves to doghouse (Toronto Star)
- Panthers vs Leafs preview (Toronto Star)
- Rookie D’Amigo thrives vs top competition (Globe & Mail)
- Crosby lifts limping Pens over equally damaged Leafs (National Post)
- D’Amigo shines in shut-down role (National Post)
- Crosby lifts limping Pens over Leafs (TSN)
- Leafs can’t shake inconsistencies (TSN)
- Rielly makes Leafs WJHC decision a tough one (Sportsnet)
- Leafs lose to Crosby (MapleLeafs.com)
- Leafs face streaky Panthers (Mapleleafs.com)
- Don’t leave Sidney alone in the slot (Maple Leafs Nation)
- Opportunity lost (Howard Berger)
- Leafs prospects updated (Maple Leafs Hot Stove)
- Game in 10 (Maple Leafs Hot Stove)
- Leafs neutral zone backside pressure (Pension Plan Puppets)
- Burke interviews candidates for Flames GM role – secret transcripts (Down Goes Brown)
- Close but no cigar (Editor-in-Leafs)
I’d love to have you follow along on my Twitter feed @RickCouchman