Stats that make you go hmmmmm:
- The only two defencemen that lead their team in points are Fedor Tyutin of Columbus and Tobias Enstrom of Winnipeg. Unfortunately, Enstrom won’t hold on to his lead much longer due to a shoulder injury.
- Even though they have not played in Oklahoma City (AHL) since January 5th, Jordan Eberle (51 points) and Justin Schultz (48 points) still lead the AHL in scoring.
- Going into this afternoon’s tilt with Nashville, Colorado Avalanche defencemen have yet to score a goal in their 13 games. The eight rearguards have combined to go 0 for 96 shots in 2013.
- Minnesota’s Zach Parise has a unique streak going. He has taken at least one shot in 176 straight games, the longest such streak in the NHL. His last shot-less game was against the Islanders on November 6, 2009. He currently leads the NHL with 69 shots. With 201 goals in his career, he now trails his dad J.P. by just 37 for family bragging rights.
- When Sidney Crosby gets a point or more in a game, the Penguins record is 208-90-39. (.675%)
- When Sidney Crosby does NOT get a point in a game, the Penguins record is 30-75-8. (.300 %)
- The San Jose Sharks are an equal opportunity loser. Since 2003, they have been eliminated from the playoffs by a different team each season:
2012 St Louis, 2011 Vancouver , 2010 Chicago, 2009 Anaheim, 2008 Dallas, 2007 Detroit, 2006 Edmonton, 2004 Calgary, 2003 Colorado.
- The Penguins James Neal is second in the NHL with 11 goals. Ten of those 11 markers have been assisted by Evgeni Malkin or Sidney Crosby or both.
- Corey Perry leads the NHL with three shootout deciding goals. Perry has scored only two during the skating portion of the games.
- Former Leaf defenceman Francois Beauchemin and Henrik Sedin lead the NHL with the most plus games played with ten each.
- Last season, in an 82 game schedule, the Detroit Red Wings used 32 different players throughout the campaign. Thus far in 15 games, they have already suited up 30 different players.
Stan Nieradka is a sports fan and statistician for Hockey Night In Canada, and contributor of Stats Plus for TMLfans.ca