Jeff Finger’s bruised foot will keep him out of action for the opening week of the NHL season. However, it is reported that Pavel Kubina’ sore knee will heal in time for opening night, October 9 at Detroit. The Leafs are in Motown tonight to take on the Red wings in pre-season action.
Luke Schenn, arguably the team’s best defenceman during the first few exhibition games, is making the decision on whether to keep him on the roster more difficult than expected.
On the Rock, the Marlies defeated Manitoba 4-2 in exhibition action in Newfoundland.
Here are the headlines of stories relating to the Leafs and the Marlies in the news this morning:
Leafs NHL News
- One cop on the beat Toronto Sun
- Kubina should be ready for opener Toronto Sun
- Schenn’s time to shine? Toronto Sun
- Opportunity knocking for Leafs rookie Schenn Toronto Star
- Schenn’s solid play leaves tough decision for Leafs National Post
- Leafs’ defenceman Jeff Finger to miss first week of season Toronto Star
- Leafs’ Finger likely to miss first week The Globe And Mail
- Leafs’ Hollweg needs to tone it down Toronto Star
- A career opportunity Toronto Sun
- Mitchell impresses coaches Toronto Star
- Leafs Notebook: John McCain a Coyotes fan? National Post
- Nothing Changes In Leaf Land FAN 590
NHL and Hockey News
- Bettman keen on more Euro games Toronto Sun
- Alfie takes a bow in Sweden Ottawa Citizen
- Nashville franchise defaults on $40-million loan The Globe And Mail
- Bettman’s rosy view of Predators rings hollow The Globe And Mail