The hockey community continues to mourn the passing of Brendan Burke, the youngest son of Leafs president and general manager Brian Burke.
Brendan Burke, 21, succumbed to injuries suffered in an auto accident in Indiana, in which bad weather played a factor.
A statement from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment president and CEO Richard Peddie said: “On behalf of the entire Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment family, we extend our heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of Brian Burke. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Burke family during this extremely difficult time.”
A moment of silence will be held for Brendan Burke prior to tonight’s game when the Leafs host the Ottawa Senators.
In last night’s action, Toronto failed to hang on to a late third-period two-goal lead, losing to the New Jersey Devils 4-3 in regulation time.
Here are the headlines of hockey stories in the news this morning:
Brendan Burke: 1988-2010
- Leafs GM Burke’s son killed in crash Toronto Sun
- Leaf GM’s son killed in U.S. car crash Toronto Star
- Brian Burke’s son Brendan dies after car accident in Indiana National Post
- Brian Burke’s son killed in auto accident The Globe And Mail
- There are no words… FAN 590
- Death of Brian Burke’s son reinforces what’s really important The Hockey News
- Leafs quickly revert to old ways Toronto Sun
- A generous gesture Toronto Sun
- The role of hero Toronto Sun
- Leafs Report Toronto Sun
- Leafs blow lead late in the third Toronto Star
- Leafs should know: Trade requests often don’t work Toronto Star
- Leafs collapse in last-minute loss to Devils National Post
- Leafs collapse against Devils The Globe And Mail