The first game for J.S. Giguere, Dion Phaneuf and Fredrik Sjostrom in Leafs uniforms was a memorable one as all three new acquisitions were among the game’s three stars in a 3-0 victory over New Jersey on Tuesday night.
Gigure became only the second goalie in team history to post a shutout in his Leafs debut (Ed Belfour, 2002). Dion Phaneuf made his presence felt early, dropping the gloves with Colin White less than 7 minutes into the game. Fredrik Sjostrom contributed on the scoresheet with an assist on the opening goal of the game.
The Leafs’ next game is Friday when they visit the Prudential Center in New Jersey for the second time in a week, which will mark the third game in 8 nights against the Devils.
Here are the hockey headlines in the news this morning:
- New look Leafs shut out Devils Toronto Sun
- Phaneuf brings energy to Leafs, fans Toronto Sun
- Scrawler: New guys instant stars Toronto Sun
- Leafs Sjostrom makes impressive debut Toronto Sun
- Welcome to the jungle Toronto Sun
- Leafs Phaneuf an offensive presence Toronto Sun
- Giguere spreading his wings Toronto Sun
- Ponikarovsky: The artful dodger Toronto Sun
- Leafs out-devil the Devils Toronto Star
- Lots of Zzzs add up to a W for Giguere Toronto Star
- Phaneuf leaves his mark in Leafs debut Toronto Star
- Kadri gives thumbs up to Leaf deals Toronto Star
- Komisarek hasn’t given up hope Toronto Star
- New Leafs shine in shutout win over New Jersey National Post
- Leafs dig deep, dump Devils The Globe And Mail
Follow TMLfans.ca on Twitter: