Leafs forward Alexei Ponikarovsky took a pair of third period minor penalties, contributing to Tampa Bay’s comeback and eventual 3-2 overtime win on Thursday night. Ponikarovsky was called for boarding late in the third period giving the Lightning the opportunity to tie the score – which they did – on a goal by Ryan Malone. The Toronto forward was then returned immediately to the penalty box for unsportsmanlike conduct after overheated protests to the referees.
Toronto took a too-many-men-on-the-ice penalty in overtime, allowing Martin St. Louis to win the game with under 10 seconds remaining in the extra session.
Here are the hockey headlines in the news this morning:
- Those killer penalties Toronto Sun
- A costly tantrum Toronto Sun
- Leafs Report Toronto Sun
- Leafs find a new way to lose Toronto Star
- Mistakes cost Leafs yet again Toronto Star
- Leafs fall to Lightning after power-play goal in OT National Post
- Battle of the bottom dwellers lives up to its billing The Globe And Mail
- Leafs looking for goaltending clarity FAN 590
- Marlies acquire Hodgman from Rockford TorontoMarlies.com
Follow TMLfans.ca on Twitter: