Despite surrendering the first two goals of the game for the 21st time this season, the Maple Leafs battled back to beat the Florida Panthers 3-2 at ACC on Tuesday. Some hard work by Nikolai Kulemin combined with a spinaround backhand by Alexei Ponikarovsky led to the game-winning goal.
The Leafs are in Philadelphia tonight to take on the Flyers (7pm ET, TSN, AM 640).
In Saskatoon, Canada’s bid for a sixth straight World Junior Hockey Championship gold medal was snuffed out by the Americans, who used an overtime winner from John Carlson to claim the top prize by a score of 6-5. Canada rallied with two late goals from Jordan Eberle to force overtime.
Here are the hockey headlines in the news this morning:
- Leafs, Flyers give U.S. juniors their due Toronto Sun
- Kulemin digs up a win for Leafs Toronto Star
- Leafs beat Panthers in comeback win National Post
- Leafs battle back for victory The Globe And Mail
- Another sleepy night at ACC Toronto Sun
- Kulemin’s hustle pays off Toronto Sun
- Like the good, old days for Kaberle and Schenn Toronto Star
World Junior News
- Heart-breaking loss for Canada Toronto Sun
- Eberle claims star status for Canada even in defeat Toronto Sun
- Heartbreaking end to Canada’s gold medal streak Toronto Star
- Eberle MVP award small consolation Toronto Star
- Canada’s reign deep-sixed by the United States National Post
- U.S. ruins another Canadian party National Post
- U.S. wins junior gold in overtime thriller The Globe And Mail
Follow TMLfans.ca on Twitter: