Phil Kessel’s first game against his former team, the Boston Bruins, was a dismal one for the Leafs sniper. Kessel was held pointless and the entire Toronto team was uninspired, leading to a 7-2 defeat.
Kessel’s former linemate Marc Savard led the way with a hat trick for Boston. Former Leafs first round draft choice Tuukka Rask made 31 saves in the victory.
At Ricoh Coliseum, Viktor Stalberg scored a pair including the overtime winner to lead the Marlies to a 5-4 win over the Hamilton Bulldogs. Andre Deveaux also scored twice for the Marlies.
Here are the headlines of stories relating to the Leafs and the Marlies in the news this morning:
- Round 1 to Savard, Bruins Toronto Sun
- Victory over Leafs means little to Rask Toronto Sun
- Leafs suffer Beantown meltdown Toronto Star
- Marc Savard scores 3 in Bruins’ 7-2 win over Leafs National Post
- Kessel booed in Bruins onslaught The Globe And Mail
- Five in the fight for spots on Team Canada Toronto Star
- Leafs have an opportunity FAN 590
- Viktor-y For Marlies in OT TorontoMarlies.com
Follow TMLfans.ca on Twitter: